Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In researching doggie daycare centers in my area, most of them do not have outside potty areas. In fact, I've only found one that does. The others provide some sort of artificial turf/tree area for the dogs. Is this common? And if you use a place like this, does it confuse your dog?

TIA

·
Registered
610 Posts
My doggie daycare does not have an outdoor potty area. They are taken for walks, but also use the floor inside. My dog has never ever had an accident at home as a result of this. So, no I do not think it confuses them.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The PetsMart here has a "potty room" that the dogs use. They said the dogs are taken in there one at a time to go. It's kept clean, and it's treated with something that causes an odor that somehow encourages the dogs to go there.

I haven't yet seen this, and I haven't left Rocket in a day care (yet), so I can't attest to it's function. They say it works great.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Hmm... all of Henry's daycares have either had dogwalkers to take the dogs out, or an outdoor potty area (one was gravel, one was grass). Interested to see the responses though...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've looked at a handful of daycares in my area. They vary. A few had small outside areas w/ gravel. Some no outside areas at all, and a select few did have grass. I've sent my girls to PetsMart's daycamp before. They don't go outside at all. It hasn't affected them.

·
Registered
738 Posts
hmm, i also assumed that they would have an outdoor area. Lola's daycare does, it's a little cedar chip area that they can use. i get the impression that they can use it whenever they want, they keep the door open when it's nice out

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Bailey's does not have an outdoor area; inside only. There is a cedar chip area for them to potty, otherwise the staff just cleans up after them. Bailey has never had an accident at home since she's been there. I think she knows she's allowed to there, but not at home. I wish I could find a daycare that had an outside area, but very limited in the small area we live in!!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Buck's daycare has a gravel outdoor area. When it's nice outside theyjust leave the door open. Otherwise they let them out periodically or whenever a dog goes and sits infront of the door :)
They clean up right away too.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Lucy and Cricket's daycare facility has large outdoor fenced areas for the dogs. Dogs participating in daycare are seperated by size and play style(Lucy and Cricket don't play together at daycare). The outdoor areas have kiddie pools in the summer with shade tents and the entire outdoor area is sand. They are fastidious about clean up in the yards.
I think the dogs are outside all year unless it their is excessive heat or cold conditions outdoors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts