Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that Amy is not buying any treats at the moment, until all of the recall issues are resolved. She uses yogurt covered cheerios...excellent idea.

I know Deb makes her own treats and Connie does also. So share one if you have it.
There are several variations of the below recipe.
Guaranteed to make your dog perform. The house smelled delicious and everyone thought it was dinner for them until they heard the ingredients lol

1 pound of raw beef liver(you can use chicken if you want)
2 eggs
Garlic Powder
Quaker Oats

Puree the liver in the blender until it is PUREED...add 2 eggs, and generous sprinkles of garlic powder.
Pour into a bowl and add Quaker Oats (some people use Jiffy Corn bread in a box) until it is the consistency of cookie dough mix.
Mix well by hand then add to a large, greased casserole dish. Really spread it out so the pieces are not too thick.
Bake for about 30 minutes at 350. Let cool and cut into any shape size you want.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michele, I must have 2 extra carnivorey carnivores because mine won't eat veggies! And I have tried...they have no interest.
Emma will eat apples but Aidan doesn't care for them either. He's a meat and potatoes kinda guy ;)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Great recipe!! :)

I'm going to make this for Henery tomorrow! :)

Do you know how long this will keep in the fridge/freezer?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
I know Deb makes her own treats and Connie does also. So share one if you have it.
Susan... you are correct! I'll have to dig my recipes out & post them here. It is good you posted this now, cause I'll get them out & have them ready to start baking up some for the fur-babies at Lab Fest.

I guess I am lucky, Lexi loves veggies & fruit. So I can give her carrots or pieces of apple or pear for treat.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The keep in the freezer really well... mine have never gone longer than a month? at the most...they get used up pretty quick.
But a month at least, and they're fine.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lexis Mom said:
WeHeartLabs said:
Susan... you are correct! I'll have to dig my recipes out & post them here. It is good you posted this now, cause I'll get them out & have them ready to start baking up some for the fur-babies at Lab Fest.

I guess I am lucky, Lexi loves veggies & fruit. So I can give her carrots or pieces of apple or pear for treat.

woo hooo!!! Labbies start getting excited now for these treats. My dogs loved them and fought over them the same way my guys did for your cookies lol

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Quick&Easy
Cheesy Dog Biscuits
1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 and 1/4 cups grated chedder cheese
1/4 lb of margarine or corn oil
1 clove of garlic crushed or garlic powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup of milk or as needed

grate cheese let it stand to reach room temp cream the cheese with softened margarine,garlic,salt and flour add enough milk to form into a ball
chill for 1/2hr roll onto floured board cut into shapes
bake at 375 for 15mins or until slightly brown and firm

Real easy

2 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of nonfat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 egg beaten
flavoring: Meat drippings,broth or water fr canned tuna enough to make a stiff dough

Combine flour,powdered milk and garlic powder in a med bowl add beaten egg
and flavoring and mix well w hands dough should be very stiff if needed add more
flavoring

on a well floured surface roll out dough to 1/4 in thickness use cookie cutter
bake at 350 for 30 mins

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
As an FYI I am buying the 100% meat chicken or duck jerky at Costco. These are meat strips not ground up pressed and reformed. I ran out Sunday and the 2 Costco by me were out of them. I emailed a co-worker and told him if he went and they had some pick them up which he did. Got me a 3 pound bag of each. Chicken is under $11 and duck is $14.

I also bought Cinnamon some chicken livers as treats. And I made some frosty paws and put them in ice cube trays and she is getting them occasionally. Her dog food is grain free and she is not getting anything but this stuff, bully sticks and marrow bones.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
11$ is not bad for 3 pounds.

Pet Smart had a birthday celebration tonight and we got 2 of the goodie bags they gave away.
In them were new treats from Purina called CARVERS...i checked the ingredients before giving them to the dogs and they loved them.
Garlic powder is in them too...they smelled really good.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Tried and tested!!

Henery gives Susan's recipe two paws up!! ;D

·
Registered
242 Posts
I like the dried chicken strips because they seem so healthy. I bought a nice big package for Sammie...and then I saw they were produced in China! :eek:

I fed them all to Sam but didn't really trust them the whole time. Are any of you not only checking ingredients and checking where the product is made?

The treat I'm giving Sam now are the Innova Evo biscuits...they are small (which I like) and in cute shapes. He also gets green beans at night w/ his supper.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I make these popular treats often. I call them liver smacks.

5 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup dried milk
2 tsp. garlic powder
Mix together well.

2 eggs
4 tbsp. honey or molasses or combination
4 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. chicken livers, boiled in 1 1/2 cups water (reserve water). Then puree the chicken livers.
Mix together well.
Add wet to dry, mix well until a dough ball is formed. Roll out to 1/8" thickness and cut with cookie cutters. OR, to speed up the process, I use a pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips and then little squares. Bake at 350 for 25-30 min.

I'm gonna try some of the other ones, too. Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: I make my own dried chicken breast strips by partially freezing boneless chicken breasts (I buy them on sale), slicing into thin strips, and putting them in my dehydrator for 24-36 hours. Costs less and you know what's in them!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
This is a VERY simple recipe and they love them. I make a batch every week ! It easily fills 2 cookie sheets, and they can be refrigerated as they have no preservatives accept what's in the peanut butter.

2 cups whole wheat flour (substitute any other flour if you wish, I use rice flour)
1 cup milk
1 cup peanut butter
1 tsp baking powder

Mix dry ingredients. Then in another bowl mix milk and peanut butter. I put that mixture in the microwave to warm up the peanut butter so it mixes better with the milk. Then add milk mixture to flours and mix. Add more flour if needed, and then knead it for 2 minutes. Roll out to 1/4 " and cut with cookie cutter.

Bake @ 375 for 20 minutes, but use parchment paper on the pans, as they can burn easily.

Melissa
;)

K

·
0 Posts
We have tried Connie's hot dog treat things for the last few days and I am excited to say my girls LOVE them! Copper who will only eat her dog food and dosnt like treats LOVES LOVES LOVES LOVES these!!
WOOHOO!!

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The H Mom said:
EDITED TO ADD: I make my own dried chicken breast strips by partially freezing boneless chicken breasts (I buy them on sale), slicing into thin strips, and putting them in my dehydrator for 24-36 hours. Costs less and you know what's in them!
HMom what kind of dehydrator do you have?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I used to have a recipe for dried beef/chicken strips.....in the oven. Can't find it now, but it involved cooking at a fairly (i think) low temperature for a long time. Made for GREAT training treats!

I went on a Google search and found this website:

Wish it had the dried chicken recipe. :-\

·
Registered
886 Posts
This is a great thread. My frosty paws recipe is a hit at our house

32 oz. plain yogurt
1 mashed banana
2 T peanut butter
2 T honey

Blend everything in the blender and pour into small cups and freeze. I use the tiny glad ware containers and then wash and reuse them. ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts