Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 1/2 month old black lab LOVES stuffed animals, or as I call them, "babies". I've bought him several "babies" (made specifically for dogs) (and the tag has to say it's "durable" and they have eyes embroidered on, instead of sewn-on, for safety, etc). But Petey chews thru these "durable" toys very quickly. Sometimes within the first 10 minutes of play. He loves carrying his babies around the house, and if they've got a squeaky inside, that makes it even more fun!

Can anyone recommend any good quality, "durable" stuffed toys that don't seem to get destroyed right away???

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that a stuffed durable toy does not exist with it comes to labs. Our Maggie (17mths old) can destroy a toy in minutes. There have been a few that last a week but that is it. But if someone does have a suggestion I will give it a try bc she loves them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Best bet is to hit up the dollar store, yard sales, etc. More toys for the same money.
LOL, so basically, I should just assume that every stuffed toy will meet an untimely end, and I should just consider them disposable!!! Well, at least I won't have to continue my quest for "THE" mythical, industructable stuffed animal!!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Once while my wife and I were browsing the toy aisle of the pet store, we were asked why we were saying numbers. My wife politely replied we were rating the toys in minutes. I have yet to find a stuffed toy higher than a 4. Kong rubber toy products are the only toy I've bought that holds up.

Cheap stuffed animals from yards sales is the way to go. I don't bother with the stuffed animals. Besides, I don't want to have my girls to get a taste for "stuffing." I still like our couch! ;D

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Durable toys for labs? LOL! ;)

Any stuffie that comes in our house is fair game. Henery only has a chosen few (his Leo, and his Bebe... a Gund yellow lab) which have not been de-limbed, beheaded, and made into torsos.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Yup garage sales!!! You can get a bunch for 10-25cents each!
Thats all I buy for mine. I figure I've struck gold when I find one that makes noise!
If you can find a Teletubbie, those are really great! ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Besides, I don't want to have my girls to get a taste for "stuffing." I still like our couch!
I'll second that statement. If I needed to find a job for Duke I could hire him out to the recycling center as a shredder. As a pup he demolished one of those thick rope toys in an hour, ending up with a huge pile of threads.
Now they get Nylabones and Kongs. Duke's favorite is an occasional stick that he finds in the yard.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a pup he demolished one of those thick rope toys in an hour, ending up with a huge pile of threads.
So far, so good on rope toys! ..As long as they're the really thick ones.. those he plays with and chews on all the time, and he hasn't made a dent in.. but the cheap ones from the dollar-toy section of the pet store? ..shreds.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Ours are pretty good with stuffed toys. But Hudler has to remove the tags from all of them, which ends up leaving a hole, which he then proceeds to de-stuff them. If I remember to cut the tag off, the toy can stick around for a year or so.....

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Although Rocket has a few faves he hasn't chewed holes in, most of the stuffed toys I've bought him end up having a hole chewed into them so he can play the game of "pulling the stuffing out" little bit by little bit. This event can take days and he especially enjoys leaving little stuffing mounds around the house for me to pick up.

Since he enjoys it so much, I just keep buying them. But I never spend more than a couple of dollars, and I only get the dog/safe ones.
Also, I pull out any squeakers first chance I get.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
With three labs, stuffed toys last about 40 seconds. I do the garage sale thing when I feel like cleaning up a mess but I never buy one with a squeeker. We had a choking incident with one. If I hadn't been home, I'm pretty sure she would have choked to death.

It doesn't matter what they write on the package. Anything other than a nylabone and some kongs are not "durable".

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Rowan must be a real abnormal lab. All her toys are still intact since she came home at 7 wks. Now the blue and red kongs are a different story. ::)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Tal likes stuffed toys, mainly his duck. We play tug o war with it and now he knows he can de stuff it. Last one made it about a day.. :-\

·
Registered
621 Posts
No stuffed toys here - they last about 2.5 minutes. Ellie's favorite toy is a green plastic planter box she found behind our shed in the backyard. She loves it. It is pretty big, about 16"x16"x16", but she thinks it is the greatest. She throws it up in the air, catches it on her head and throws it up again. She runs through the yard with it on her head.

She also likes boxes - I bring home the copy paper boxes from work. They generally don't last very long, but hey, they're free and provide a good half hour of entertainment in the backyard.

I gave up on the stuffies pretty quickly!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts