Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to get ahead of picking up after Tuck during the winter months, but I'm not always successful. We've not had a ton of snow this winter, but I did not get to the few piles before it snowed.

Anyways, long story short- it's raining so I decided to go clean up the backyard while the snow was disappearing.

Tucker poops a lot more than I thought.

I felt like Gina.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Yep I did this yesterday and got two buckets full of stinky, mushy poop. This is only about the 4th time this winter, as when it's slick I refuse to go out on poop patrol. That was how I broke my ankle in 5 places 5 years ago. Sorry but the poop can wait. lol

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I know what you mean. I always try to plan my poop pickups around the weather. If I know it's going to snow I make sure to go pick it up beforehand. If it's snowed and the snow is going to start melting, I go pick it up.
If there is no snow and it's really cold I try to pick it up, frozen poop is easy to clean up.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I swear I felt like Gina yesterday when my husband said "Did you see all the poops back there"? I haven't been out there in a couple of weeks, to be honest. Not good with 3 dogs - although in my defense, Tucker and Frankie usually poops on their walks and not in the yard. :eek:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I am almost fanatical about picking up after HK, and Louie, and Newman when they are here. If they are out after dark, it waits till first light in the morning. This year is different. We got almost two feet of snow in Decenber, and its still here. I am not trudging across the lawn twice a day going on poop patrol. Anything I can reach from the driveway, or one step in, gets picked up. But the rest is going to wait for some thawing activity. Fortunately, we are getting our 1-2 inches overnight snowfalls, so it is covered and not ugly for everyone to have to look at.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I'm glad I'm a pick-as-he-goes kinda guy.

Winters are easy, actually. The substance in question freezes almost instantaneously, for maximum nuggetization (holy hell, I feel like Bob PR here) and convenience of transport.

It's the summers I hate poop cleanup, when the temps make it just broil and it's a gooey, icky....

gah

Need to stop right there.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I felt like Gina.
LOL....I was actually thinking of that the other day. I try to do twice a day pick up because of my poop eater but when its snowing I stay inside. And the poop somehow sinks into the snow so I never find it until the snow starts to melt.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Ha! Obviously most of you don't have poo eaters. I am out there EVERY blankety blank time that the dogs go out. 5:30 AM, Noon, 6 PM, 8 PM, 10 PM and sometimes more. I felt guilty last night because it was a torrential downpour and I didn't go out with them.
Do you know what happens to fresh poo in the snow? It melts its way down under the snow in like 30 seconds flat. Makes it hard as hell to pick up.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I really hope Denny finds a job soon because so far I haven't turned off our poop pickup service...they come every week to clean up the yard. It's just one of those things that really grosses me out. Our backyard is probably only .10 of an acre so with 3 dogs, it gets gross fast. At least snow isn't a concern.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I did our yard Saturday as the snow was starting to melt. Not a fun job. Many, many shovel fulls and my dogs go out in the woods as much as in the yard. I don't know how people say they pick it up in the winter with snow on the ground. I've tried, but it disappears too fast. Hot poop, soft snow=poop a foot down and I'm not digging for it.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Puff typically poops at 3 times -- 7 AM, 2 PM, and 10 PM.

Winters, I zip myself into my insulated bib overalls, down jacket, boots -- check that I have thin film sandwich bags with me, a flashlight if it's dark, and off we go. I pick up her deposits almost as soon as it hits the ground (or snow). She rarely poops on our property so at 2 & 10, I don't want to leave her poops on neighbors' lawns.

In the morning, we go to the nature preserve and her first poop is usually within the first minute we're out of the car so I pick that up, too, since it's within an area frequented by people. Bless her heart, when Puff does go a second time it's always several feet off-trail in the bushes or woods where it won't need picking up.

With Bess, I'd installed dog doors so she could out to various back yards while I was at work. I keenly remember harvesting all those piles when snow left and spring came. :mmph: I like our present routine much better -- (a partial benefit of being retired).

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Yup I have poo eaters here so we are out almost every time they are out and pick up as they go. It makes it nice come spring though when there is much less to worry about and I personally have an issue with it because I don't like the idea of them walking through a poopy yard and coming in my house.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup I have poo eaters here so we are out almost every time they are out and pick up as they go. It makes it nice come spring though when there is much less to worry about and I personally have an issue with it because I don't like the idea of them walking through a poopy yard and coming in my house.
You don't wipe your dogs feet off on the way in the house? It's part of routine.

But also- when the poop is buried in the snow, it doesn't get stepped on or tracked in the house. Once it is visible, then yes, it probably would, which is why I cleaned it up when the snow melted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.