Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were at the dog park yesterday and SU was running Indi through some training. She seems to like training at the dog park for some reason.

Anyway, SU was throwing the dummy and Indi would race out when she was released from stay and bring it right back. Well this black and white dog ran up and wanted to retrieve it so SU decided to stop throwing it after the dog stole it twice.

This dog had no manners or training. SU was holding the dummy and this dog was jumping up and pushing SU's chest and snapping at his face, not the dummy. SU was grappling this dog and the owner was just sitting there watching. Instead of grabbing her dog off of my husband, she kept saying, "Riley, that's not yours. Oh Riley, you can't play with that. Oh Riley." No command in her voice, no Riley off of that person.

SU got mad and said in a firm voice, sit, and down and the dog did it quickly but started barking like a maniac and then lunged at his face again. I took the dummy to hide it and the dog realized that SU didn't have it so he lunged at me. I'm 5'5 and the dog with his neck stretched up was almost in my face. The darn dog was knocking me around, SU was on his way over to deal with it, the owner was just watching saying, Oh Riley, that's not yours. finally I threw a fake throw and then hid the dummy. The dog thought it was gone and took off.

I saw the owner walk off without an apology and try to chase Riley down.

We weren't too upset about it. The dummy was just too enticing for the dog but it was annoying that this dog didn't have any manners and the owner just let the dog maul us. It tried jumping on my son but I stopped it from doing that. She didn't even apologize for it. SU commented as she walked away, train your dog lady. He looked like he was ready to take the dog down in a WWF wrestling move. Of course, he had the dog jumping on him for about 10-15 minutes so his patience was gone.

Indi wasn't sure what to do and decided that if that dog was allowed to jump, she was allowed. She was really upset when she was given a firm, OFF but the other dog was still allowed to jump up.

Some days and some dogs make my decision not to come to the dog park even easier. We don't bring Petey out of consideration for other owners. He likes to hump the other dogs and when they don't like it, it gets very vocal. He has a great time, smile spread across his face but other owners get really concerned. He doesn't behave himself (with the humping) so we don't take him. The only time we do is when the river is open (not flooded) because he just focuses on water retrieves and nothing distracts him. His trainer said it best that dog parks are only good if you don't get an idiot dog and owner there.

I'm beginning to agree. Ok, that's my story and my little rant. ;D

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
we stopped going to the dog park about 2 years ago when some guys dog kept mounting my labs. my husband kept yelling at the guy to control his dog but the guy turned the other way and ignored what his dog was doing. it was a lab and was surprisingly aggressive towards other dogs in the park but their owners were afraid to say anything but not my DH. he ended up in the owners face and told him that no one came to the dog park to be harassed by someone else's dog. the guy yelled back "you want to take this outside of the park?" and my husband said "yeah" but the guy backed down. we got disgusted looks from all the other dog owners that were there as we were leaving. we haven't been back since.

sorry your trip to the park was upsetting. it's always someone who has to ruin it for everyone else.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Our dog park has a very strict rule about not bringing in toys, dummies, frisbees, etc- you cannot expect to bring a new toy or dummy and not have off leash, excited dogs be interested in it. I think you should have expected the dog to want to steal the bumper.

Our dog park provides them for us- they stay at the dog park all the time and the dogs are very low key about them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why we weren't too upset about the dummy thing. The problem for us was that the dog was jumping up and biting our faces and still the owner didn't control their dog. If the dog steals when we have thrown it that is fine but the dog was trying to bite our faces and steal the dummy right from our hands. A properly trained dog should not be jumping onto a person to get something. I know that dogs get excited and forget manners and occasionally Indi will jump up when she is really eager to get the dummy. The point is the owner should have come and took the dog off of us. We would have went and taken Indi off of another person if she was doing that. She would have been put on leash or taken out of the park if we couldn't get her controlled. Owners should be responsible for their dogs, even at an unleash park.

So for me, the dog was fine but the owner should have been more responsible. My huband wanted to leash the dog and put it through vigorous training exercises. I'm not sure that would have went over well though. ;D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I try and stay away from the dog parks... I'll take sami every now and then. But I'd rather find somewhere else she can run around and be a dog...

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Fenced in parks are a good excuse for owners of badly behaved dogs to let them off leash. That is why I avoid busy dog walking areas like the plague. Although it is not so much badly behaved dogs that bother me but aggressive ones.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
When my husband used to take Hudler and Maddy to the dog park, he would go in the weekday mornings and be there by 7AM. There was a group of people there that he got to know, and the experience was nice. If a newcomer arrived and tried to cause problems, the group would defend the "usual" dogs. People who had never been there before would come in and start in on my hubby because Hudler's intact and blah blah blah...yet here they went every day with NO PROBLEMS and it was the new person and their dog that caused the problems, and they would try to blame our dog.

We learned never to go on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and never after work! Too many crazies out to have an enjoyable time.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Sorry your SU got jumped all over, Sirena!! That really sucks. I would have gotten really mad too, if the owner wasn't doing anything about his/her dog being rude. Which park were you at, the one at Windermere and Adelaide?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No the one of Highbury. We usually avoid them like the plaque but made the exception this time around. Guess we know better huh. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts