Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I got to the dog park with the boys just ahead of some really nasty weather. I though I had time to let the boys run a bit so I took my umbrella and proceeded in. In less that ten minutes it hit, horizontal rain in gust that made my umbrella useless, and it was cold. The few other people there were heading to the exit and I was right behind. When I got to the double gate there was still one person in with three dogs. When she exited I went in but found a small furry dog still there. I leashed up the boys and put them sopping wet into the car then I looked back to see that poor dog still sitting by the gate.
There were about a half dozen cars and trucks still in the lot and I saw one pickup pull up in front of the gate. Trying to keep my umbrella from flying away I went back and asked that driver if that was her dog. She said no but she was worried about it. I told her I would go back into the park to see if anyone else was there. I had to walk a good ways back to check out the back of the park but there wasn't a sole there. I was convinced at that point that someone had just abandoned the pup and I was going to have to take it home, I could not leave that poor pup shivering in the rain.
When I got back to the front there were a few cars in the lot as some had just arrived and were hoping for a break in the rain. I went to each asking about the dog with no luck until I came to a red VW bug. The elderly lady rolled down her window a bit when I approached and I asked her "Is that your dog?"
She said "Yes that's my dog." Then she added that the dog had run off when she headed back to the car with her other dog.
It was still pouring down and I was already soaked to the bone so I told her I would get a towel and bring her the dog. I went to the car, got a towel and when I got to the dog it was pitiful, soaking and shaking. I wrapped it up in a towel and took it to the lady who had cracked open the passenger door. I placed the dog on the seat and dried it off an bit and she thanked me.
To tell the truth if she hadn't been an elderly lady I don't think I would have returned her dog. I would have taken the dog to my car and called the authorities. I do think she was just unable and not prepared to fight that storm to retrieve her dog.
I am just happy that someone did not actually just dump the dog in the park and leave.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Good for you for helping her. Maybe she's not able bodied enough to fight the storm, but then I guess she should have left sooner too.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
You did your good deed for the day. We don't know the situation with her but I'm sure she was grateful for your kindness.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
That was a nice thing for you to do.

But you can't just decide who to return dogs to and who not to. While I know your heart is in the right place, you aren't in the position to decide that. You do not know everyone's situation. I could see myself doing the same thing in a bad rain storm if Tucker decided to goof off. I'd run to the car and wait for him to come to his senses. Luckily, Tucker is well behaved and comes when called. But there have been times when he has been a pickle and taken off in the opposite direction as me. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to stand out in the pouring rain waiting for him if he is in a safe area such as a fenced in dog park. And I consider myself a good dog owner. A very good one. He's a much loved part of our family. And I'm not even elderly!

AND- if someone took it upon themselves to decide they were going to keep him because they felt I was unfit, they'd better watch out. My mama bear instincts would kick in and someone would get seriously injured and it wouldn't be me. Or my dog. It'd be the person who was trying to keep me from my dog.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Poor little thing. SO glad this had a happy ending. :)

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to stand out in the pouring rain waiting for him if he is in a safe area such as a fenced in dog park.
I agree! She didn't leave, sounds like she was just waiting.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Good guy looking out for the little guy. Hopefully the lady was grateful and thanked you. For whatever reason, including not wanting to get her hair wet, she left her dog alone in the park but stayed and didn't totally abandon it. Not all bad, probably loves the dog.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Good for you, John. I agree that she's probably a good owner since she didn't actually abandon the dog but was still waiting. It was really nasty on Saturday, I'm not at all sure that I wouldn't have done something similar if I were in her place - take the one dog to the car and wait where it was warm and dry until a break came that it would be easier to go get the other one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts