Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started feeding Sammie Innova Evo....its going great so far.

I was reading the good dog food site and it was mentioned that its a good idea to add water to kibble.

Why is this a good thing...and what temperature should the water be?

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
When I feed Evo I do sometimes add some water (purified) to it. It does seem to help slow down how fast Caleb eats.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Be very careful about adding water to some kibbles. Many of them (including Raw Instinct) are preserved with citric acid and foods containing citric acid should NEVER be soaked. I don't think Evo is at the moment, but thought I would mention it in case anyone feeds a food that is preserved with citric acid.

When any dry fod with citric acid is soaked it increases the chances of bloat 320%, especially with older dogs. There is also elevated risk if you feed these kibbles with canned or raw for the same reasons.
Here is the study if anyone is interested: http://www.vet.purdue.edu/epi/dietrisk.htm

Keep checking your kibble too...Raw Instinct never used to use citric acid as a preservative but they suddenly changed. Geez, one more reason to just feed raw :angel:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the added water was to prevent bloat...boy this is confusing. ::)

I give him some canned green beans with their juice with his dinner almost every night....hope their liquid doesn't have the same effect as water.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Some say too, that it helps dilute, for lack of better term, the concentration of proteins for those who are concerned about the higher protien level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts