Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PEDIGREE

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT DO YOU USE AND WHY DO YOU PREFER IT??

·
Registered
440 Posts
NutriSource. It's not widely available, but IMO it's a great food.

Darcy :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used to feed my dogs Wellness, but I switched them over to Kirkland chicken and rice. they seem to like it, but they are labs...they devour anything I put in front of them. The whole Diamond thing scares me though...has anyone stopped using Kirkland food because of the Diamond mess? For those that don't know...Diamond makes Kirkland.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
California Natural chicken meal and rice. It has a protein meal as the first ingredient and a short ingredient list.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
tangelo53 said:
I used to feed my dogs Wellness, but I switched them over to Kirkland chicken and rice.  they seem to like it, but they are labs...they devour anything I put in front of them.  The whole Diamond thing scares me though...has anyone stopped using Kirkland food because of the Diamond mess?  For those that don't know...Diamond makes Kirkland.
I use Kirkland, and no; I haven't stopped. This could happen (and has happened) to other companies in the past. Diamond manufacturers food for Solid Gold and Natural Balance, as well. I also think they are manufacturing for Timberwold Organics. Diamond manufacturers a lot more dog foods than people are aware of.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Scroll through about 10 pages of LAB CHAT topics and you'll see other recent polls on the same topic.

On the last one, over 50% chose "other" than the brands listed (and it had a few more brand options than you gave)

I feed Kirkland C&R (made by the same company that makes Diamond and available only at Costco).

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
LabLady101 said:
NutriSource.  It's not widely available, but IMO it's a great food.

Darcy, we use the same food! ;D

CoCo had stomach and coat issues when we first brought her home... my BIL uses NutriSource chicken & rice LB puppy, so we got a sample of it... and she loved it (well, she loves everything). Not only are her stomach issues totally gone, but her coat is gorgeous AND she's growing like a weed (she was a little runt when we got her, and not growing quickly)... I can't say for sure its the food, but heck, I don't know what else it might be!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
none of the above...I use Innova EVO for Rider and the adult fosters get Diamond Lamb & Rice and the pups get Diamond Puppy

·
Registered
440 Posts
CoCosMom said:
LabLady101 said:
NutriSource.  It's not widely available, but IMO it's a great food.

Darcy, we use the same food!   ;D

CoCo had stomach and coat issues when we first brought her home... my BIL uses NutriSource chicken & rice LB puppy, so we got a sample of it... and she loved it (well, she loves everything).   Not only are her stomach issues totally gone, but her coat is gorgeous AND she's growing like a weed (she was a little runt when we got her, and not growing quickly)...  I can't say for sure its the food, but heck, I don't know what else it might be!
That's very cool...I was begining to think I was the only one who had ever heard of NutriSource and the only the one that fed it. 

I had heard about it before as my MIL was feeding it to her GSD but we continued to feed our boy the Iams we (the DH and I) were accustomed to.  However, when we got our girl pup we switched because that was what our breeder was feeding and recommended.  I haven't regretted switching for a minute!  I've seen great results on it from both of our Labs (good poops, good energy, and good "Lab" coats- not too soft like some foods can make their coat).  We've still got our girl on the LB Puppy (Chicken & Rice) and our boy is on the Performance 30/20 (which we'll be rotating with the Adult Chicken & Rice).  Funny thing is, we still pay about the same price as the Iams but for a better quality food...imagine that...

Darcy  ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Iams Lamb & Rice. Why? I'm told lamb and rice is good for the coat. And because it is the only higher end dog food that you can find ANYWHERE. Specialty stores, grocery stores, Target, KMart, etc.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not to upset anyone who feeds Iams, but it's really not a higher end dog food. Good rule of thumb, if you can buy it at the grocery store, it's not a very high quality food. Not to say people haven't had their dogs do fine on it...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ok, now to be a bit of a devil's advocate here...

I think what Hazie was trying to say is Iams is the best quality food she/he can find for what's available in her/his area.  If all you have access to is the grocery store, Walmart, Kmart, Target, etc...then it's between Iams and Purina One basically.  If it were me, I definately would go with one of those rather than Pedigree, Kibbles'N'Bits, or the like.

Also, one more thing...I wouldn't necessarily say that any food sold at the grocery store is no good.  There is a food (ProDiet) that was developed somewhat locally that is sold in the grocery stores in the area.  Now, I think it's of pretty fair quality- up there with Pro Plan and NutriSource, but higher than Iams and Purina One.

Just my 2c,
Darcy

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I actually feed Libby Flint River Ranch... she has done so well on it, I hate to change. In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

FRR foods are consistently in the Whole Dog Journal's list of Top 10 holistic diets. That doesn't mean a lot to me, but that is how some people know about it. :)

I order it directly from the official corporate headquarters:
http://www.frrco.com/indexFlash.cfm
(if you do a search, 99.9% of what you'll find are independent distributors...I didn't want the hastle or the tacked on additional prices, etc.)

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I am slowly switching Buck from Purina puppy chow to Solidgold wolfcub puppy food...It has no corn fillers which is always a plus :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tyson started off on Purina Puppy Chow but when we bought him we switched him to Authority large Breed Puppy. Right now he is on Authority Harvest Baked Chicken and is doing very well on it. We also use Purina One Large Breed Adult when we are on a budget and he does well on that too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was begining to think I was the only one who had ever heard of NutriSource and the only the one that fed it.
I'm also familiar with the food and actually fed it for a short time (about 3 months). I first found out about the food at a decoy show in Perham, MN (they had a booth with samples of the NutriSource along with a bunch of crappy Tuffy's food). After learning Tuffy's made NutriSource, I also learned that NutriSource is made in norther MN (possibly in Perham, I can't remember) and I don't think a nationally known food yet.

I fed the food for a short time because I was having issues with getting moldy bags of dog food. After talking with the company, they found out it was either being improperly stored or shipped - therefore causing mold (I guess).

Don't get me wrong, I think NutriSource dog foods are decent foods but the whole fact that its made by Tuffy's kind of wigs me out.

Back to the subject of this post....I just started using Canidae.

G

·
I feed Prairie and Duke Purina Puppy Chow Moist and Crunchy...now I'm wondering if this is the best food for them. Is there a better brand that is all around used by most for Labs?

I also have them on self feed, I did this because when I was putting they're food down 3 times a day, either Prairie ate it all ( Duke let her ) or they were woofing it down and then throwing up. Since I started them on self feed, it's no longer and issue.

·
Registered
440 Posts
YellowDog03 said:
I was begining to think I was the only one who had ever heard of NutriSource and the only the one that fed it. 
I'm also familiar with the food and actually fed it for a short time (about 3 months).  I first found out about the food at a decoy show in Perham, MN (they had a booth with samples of the NutriSource along with a bunch of crappy Tuffy's food).  After learning Tuffy's made NutriSource, I also learned that NutriSource is made in norther MN (possibly in Perham, I can't remember) and I don't think a nationally known food yet. 

I fed the food for a short time because I was having issues with getting moldy bags of dog food.  After talking with the company, they found out it was either being improperly stored or shipped - therefore causing mold (I guess). 

Don't get me wrong, I think NutriSource dog foods are decent foods but the whole fact that its made by Tuffy's kind of wigs me out. 

Back to the subject of this post....I just started using Canidae. 
I understand how you feel.  I wouldn't want moldy food either.  I guess I've never had a problem with it yet and I have boughten from several different locations...maybe they corrected the problem?...

Yep, NutriSource is made by Tuffy's, but there are several companies (Iams/Eukanuba, Diamond, Purina, etc.) who are like that- they make a low quality food and a high quality food.  Tuffy's is definately their low quality food and I would never feed it.  However, in my mind, NutriSource is by far a higher quality food than Tuffy's so it's very similiar to comparing ProPlan (higher quality) to Puppy/Dog Chow (lower quality)- make sense?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts