Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Ive found a dog food analysis website. It rates the dog foods out of 6 stars and gives a review on them

Alfie is currently on Chudleys Choice Gluten Free..this has 1 star! :mad:

I was thinking of switching to James well beloved..3 stars but they are concerned the 1st ingredient is rice, theres 26% lamb/turkey/duck meal in them.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=383&cat=5

Also alot of these foods contain sugar beet pulp which has led to kidney problems in the past :eek:

So im a bit stuck on what to feed. What do you all feed..especially those in the UK as we cant get some of the foods that are available in the US

·
Registered
10 Posts
You would be right to go and change the food you are using, however you should be aiming for 4 stars or more. I use Innova (5 star) for one meal and raw for main meal, not sure if it is available to you but here is the site that makes it and you can look up if and where it is available in your area (they also make Innova Evo 6 star and California Natural 4 star) http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/international.asp.
If you can't get any 4 star or higher rated commercial food have you considered Raw?
As for the Bloat here are a few links that may have a little more info
www.micbrc.org/bloat_study.htm
www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67610&highlight=bloat
using a better quality food is shown to decrease likelyhood of bloat occuring (due to lower volume of kibble you need to feed when using a super premium food)
You will also be in for a surprise when picking up poop - they poop less frequently, smaller volume too.:D

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I think DFA is a little severe in their judgment.

Puff eats Kirkland Chicken, Rice & Veggies (sold only at Costco membership clubs) -- I don't think it's rated but it's made by the same comapany that makes Diamond Naturals (the formulas are somewhat similar) and their chicken & R gets 3 stars.

I use the Kirkland as a base and then supplement it. For example, Puff gets about 2 TBSPs of Craisins (dried, sweetened cranberries) + 1 cup kibble at breakfast and then at supper a small slice of cooked salmon, one cup of cooked frozen green beans (no salt added), 1 cup kibble, one super strength Glucosamine (1500 mg) & Chondroitin (1200 mg), and a 1,000 mg Fish Oil capsule.

I like to think :D my additions would kick it up a star or two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The foods listed on dog food analysis are rated due to their ingredients content only.
I see that they do say that Kirklands is a "reasonable" product:). I think the meat content and the use of beet pulp (which is used to slow down the transition of rancid meat - yuck, and causes stress to the kidney and liver as well as being known to cause allergies and ear infections) and the fact the manufacturer is unable to guarantee that ethoxyquin (a carcinogenic that has been banned from use in human food) hasn't been used makes it's rating lower than some of the other brands.
Just like every thing in life it's up to you to choose what you think is best - it's up to you what you choose to feed your dog, cat, kids etc etc but it is also good to have help understanding the things you don't quite know about (those manufacturers can be quite misleading in their claims and advetising:(), so you can make a well informed decision;)

Bob - noticed the cooked salmon - what a spoilt pup!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cooked Salmon how spoilt! I am definately aiming for 4 stars or more the only one i recognise on those lists are Arden Grange, I know I can definately get that. Ill have to have a trip to all pet shops in the area and make a note of what they do!....Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I havent seen them about but its good to know their are stockists over here and maybe someone is willing to order me it, Im on the hunt this afternoon

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Forget about that website. I posted in your other thread. Try Arden Grange or Skinners. Both British, both good value for money and good quality. Wellbeloved is ok, but AG and Skinners represent better value.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Not completely sure. The one closest to me is quite a way away, so I don't go there often. You can order direct from the company online though and that goes for any brand of dog food.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I've used Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Wellness CORE, and Taste of the Wild. My boys are presently switching to full TOTW as it is cheaper than the CORE. Orijen is also very good. Those are all rated 6 stars, can you get any of them in the UK?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Orijen is also very good. Those are all rated 6 stars, can you get any of them in the UK?
You can, but they cost a fortune. Partially because they are not produced over here and they have to be shipped in. But they retail at around £60 ($85) for a 30lb bag. I dunno about anyone else, but I can't justify paying that for dog food.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
You can, but they cost a fortune. Partially because they are not produced over here and they have to be shipped in. But they retail at around £60 ($85) for a 30lb bag. I dunno about anyone else, but I can't justify paying that for dog food.
:eek: :eek: :eek: I was paying about $65 for CORE and I thought that was insane.

What can you get that is made there and is comparable?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts