Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

Im new here and currently have a 4 month old yellow lab - Buddy. He has always seemed a little off to me. He is the sweetest dog in the world, but very very mellow. I was shocked at how mellow (I also have a hyper rat terrier which could be why he seems so mellow in contrast) Ive always noticed Buddy drank a lot. But I assumed he was just a growing bg dog. He does play with my other dog and isnt lethargic or anything but just sleeps/lays in between playing. I did notice he was limping and that he has trouble getting up sometimes so I took him to vet to check for hip dysplasia. The vet thinks he hurt his leg (playing or something) so he just gave him a shot for pain/inflamation in his leg and told me to give it a week to see. Well yesterday after we got home (a couple hours) Buddy peed all over my living room. I mean a ton and all over like he was walking. Not like he just peed in one spot because he had to go. This also happened 2 more times since then. I didnt let him out over night (so that might be why there) but up until this he was peeing on pad fine or going out. I obviously need to take him out more frequently - but do you all have any opinions on the excessive drinking/urinating? When Buddy drinks - he laps for about 45 seconds - seems like an eternity. He also gets up in the middle of the night to drink about 2 times. Any help would be appreciated.

FYI -I got him from someone who bred their labs but he was not a breeder and Buddy isnt papered. My mistake as I should of got one from a reputable breeder. But I just fell in love with him when I saw him!! :)

Christina

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yup, what Ed said. Plus, you can always take a urine sample to the vet and have them check it. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 on the possible UTI. My new girl (10 weeks) starting peeing frequently (or at least squatting to try to) after having made good progress toward potty training in her first week home. Took her to the vet and she only had a moderately high white blood cell count in her urine sample. Still, they gave her antibiotics to put in her meals twice a day for a week and she progressively improved over the first few days on treatment.

I'd assume UTIs are more common in female dogs than male dogs just like they're more common in female humans, but its worth having your vet look into. If he's still peeing a lot, the vet won't have trouble collecting a urine sample at their office.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'd assume UTIs are more common in female dogs than male dogs
My vet just pointed that out to me yesterday. Think about where the dogs prostate is, and how far the urine has to travel to the penis. Compare that with the female dog. It makes sense!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is bothering me is the fact that he drinks so much. Last night he slept near the water bowl. My other dog doesnt drink at all at night. Buddy on the other hand, drinks about 4 times a night.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Have the vet check for Diabetes as well. It is probably not the problem - but that is what my diabetic dog did before diagnosis at 18 months. He drank copious amounts and craved water and then peed copious amounts constantly.

I would be astonished if your 4 month old puppy is diabetic.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
If the injection the vet gave was steroids maybe that can cause excessive drinking (and resultant excessive urination). Not sure about the drinking all the time. Jake (my guy) is just a glutton for water. He'd drink from the hose/bath tub all day if I let him. It's certainly not a bad idea to discuss the drinking with your vet though :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Find out what the vet gave. Steroids can cause this.

Although as I said it sounds like you are saying he has always drank excessively and that would warrant a urine sample to be checked IMO.

The mention of possible diabetes is a concern too (even though he is so young its unlikely). Not something you want to put off discussing with the vet.

There is the chance he is just the type of dog that drinks a lot but you need to be safe rather than sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.