Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I need some advice from those of you with both dogs and cats. Our girl Breezy is almost 2 and a half years old. We've had her since she was 8 weeks old. Without making a long story even longer, we may be adding a kitten to the family. I found him on a neighbor's lawn. It appears he was born in the neighbor's basement crawl space. ( These neighbors do not live here all year long, they only come down on weekends in the summer.) The kitten has been here with us now for a week. I intended to catch him and bring him to a no-kill shelter but he is still here! I brought him to the vet and he is healthy, about 6 weeks old, but needs to fatten up!
I wasn't thinking of getting a cat, but rather another dog, eventually. I have never had a cat. I would love to hear from those of you that have dogs AND cats. How is it for you guys? How would I keep Breezy out of the litter box? I am also concerned about my relationship with Breezy changing. I don't want it to, I love her so much and I'm worried she will become jealous and start blowing me off. So far she hasn't, but every now and then she looks soooooo sad when I show the kitty any attention. It breaks my heart.
So........help! Please share your dog/cat experineces with me so I'll know better what to do with this tiny kitty. Thanks!
~Catherine

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
We have 5 cats and 2 dogs. One of the dogs is a 10 month old puppy and terrorizes our old cat (because she won't stand up to him) but he's been getting a lot of firm voice reprimands and its better. The other cats positively love the dogs and vice versa.
Initially kitty litter was an issue (5 indoor cats = 5 litter boxes) but once the puppy seemed to get his fill (gross!) it stopped. I'll bet a covered litter box in a strategic place would minimize this.
I don't think your relationship would change with the addition of a kitten...maybe a tad of jealousy on occassion but dogs love us to much to ever hold a grudge. Besides...cats make great companions to single dogs when no one is home.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I have dogs who are adamant about helping clean litter boxes if they can ...
I have an automatic litterbox now (very sweet but I wouldn't use one with a baby) and I keep a litter box in a room that is gated off from the dogs ..

our newest kitten is terrorizing the dogs - very very funny to watch her chase them

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Abbey and I lived at my parents' house with 2 cats for a couple of years. She wanted to go after the cats, but they are older and didn't want anything to do with her.

I got a kitten when Abbey was about 18 months and they are the best of friends. I think it makes a HUGE difference when you get the cat after the dog, especially if it's a kitten. :)

With the litter box.. I just put it against a wall between a couple of things so that only the cat can actually fit through and get in. I haven't had a problem since I moved it that way! I do have to put the food up high, though. Abbey likes it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
We got our cat after Jake, the youngest lab, was 18 months old, Stumpy, the cat was a rescue so he was over a year old. I set up his food and litter box in my office, blocked off with a baby gate from the dogs. It took several months but now the dogs and cat are great friends. I keep the baby gate up because I hate the dogs eating the cat poop. Jake and Stumpy chase each other around on occasion, there are rules to the game, I just don't know what they are :)
Suzan

·
Registered
717 Posts
We already had a cat (11 y.o.) when we got Jeb. It took awhile for Spanky to get used to Jeb's energy level and curiosity. Now that Jeb is 2 y.o. they get along fairly well. If Jeb gets too "in his face" Spanky just swats him. He has no front claws and Jeb hardly pays it any mind. Spanky is in the early stages of renal failure and spends his days confined to the upstairs bath. Jeb goes up to check on the cat every morning after breakfast. They will even eat out of the same dish at the same time. Jeb will defer to the cat if he's on the recliner. It just takes patience and correction before things get out of hand. They are never left alone. By the way, Spanky grew up with a Lab so it was not new to him. Years ago we had a Golden retriever and a Siamese that coexisted quite well. Cats and dogs can live together in peace. Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Gracie (Lab) and Kosmo (cat) grew up together, and they are best friends. But, over the years, I fostered many dogs. Then I took in 3 more cats. And eventually, I adopted another dog (Brittany, my older Lab mix). Everyone got along fine. I never had any issues with dogs getting into the litter box. Some dogs are interested, and some dogs aren't. If it is a problem, then you will need to put the litter box where the cat can have access but the dog cannot. Example: Another room with kitty door access.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A tip from Bo; let the cat choose the amount of contact. He won both the cats over in two days, because he didn't follow them around, and let them choose their own pace to get aquainted. With our terror/ terrier, he is required to sit down if he gets excited when they come into the room. They don't rule over him, but he is learning self control with his obsessions. They are finally starting to come towards him, as long as he is still, and especially when he is laying down. But that is after him being here a year!

The cat boxes are in the utility room. Odie would sneak in there and use it as his personal snack box until I caught on. He stopped eating his food; he was too full!! eew

Now the room is off limits to the dogs, period. I actually keep the door open, rather than closed with a kitty door, so that it doesn't matter if the door is open or not. That's "my" door, so to speak, and they stay out.

Cat food is another story. That is like putting a chocolate frosted cake in front of a three year old and saying "No". Even if you can, and it is possible, it is so cruel, lol. I wind up putting their food away to I don't have to keep such a close eye on it.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Just make sure that the kitten always has an escape route ( they normally find a high perch to get a way from inquisitive noses!

They work out their relationship on their own or at least my cats have !

Covered litter box definitely ! I don't have that problem as my cats are outdoors whenever they need to poop. ( sorry neighbours )

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
My cats are very efficient at training dogs, even from kittenhood. The escape route is a good idea, but the dog and the kitten might both need one.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Our 2 cats and 3 dogs get on well together, as you can see in my siggy, the youngest dog is 8 months and can be a bit of a pest with the cats but they stand their own with her (she's the same dog as in my siggy so you can see the cat stands no messing!)

I don't use a litter box but as others have said a covered one is your best bet or one fenced off from the dogs.

Good luck with your new kitty, i'm sure they will be best buddies before too long~:)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
In my experience, a kitten plus dog equals buddies. My strong advice to you now, while the kitten is a kitten, get rid of the litter box.

Order this, and order it now:

http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/index.php

I used a similar one for Cleo, and haven't had a litter box in 9 years. 9 years no litter!! I originally invested $35 on it, but think of the savings in litter I've had. Probably thousands of dollars by now.

Seriously. You will not regret it. I cannot recommend this thing enough. (sure, the training period sucks, but don't all training periods? when you get through it, you'll be soooo happy though)

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. They are great friends. I agree with everyone else's advice. Just let them work it out as long as you watch Breezy doesn't chase the kitten. I bet the kitten substitutes Breezy for it's mother since it's so young. My Ivan kitty used to sleep on Libby's back when he was a baby. They will be fine, don't worry.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My dogs and cats get along quite well for the most part. I've always received an adult cat though never kittens, and for the most part they are quite extroverted.

I like seeing a new cat give the dog a good smack on the face at the first meeting...they've always adjusted quite well after the rules are laid down.

I don't have any litterbox issues, because the box is in the basement and the dogs are not allowed down there.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys are great! Thank you so much for all your responses! I really appreciate all of the good advice. Well, it looks as though kitty is here to stay! I just didn't have the heart to let him go, plus my husband adores him by now. But most important, Breezy seems to really like him and tries to play with him and it is sooo cute to watch them together. They are very entertaining! The kitty has already taken a few swats at Breezy and it's hilarious, a 2 pound kitten vs. a 70 pound lab! I think this will all work out and I'm happy we are keeping him! Thanks again everyone.
~Catherine

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
YAY to keeping kitten :)
glad you are working it out

we have a kitten in the house that is integrated for the first time in many many years - unnamed as of yet but just HILARIOUS to live with

1 - 19 of 19 Posts