Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean .. Doe's he or she do retrieving, or if you throw a dummy or bal or a stick away, and he/she give's you a look, what the heck should i do ???

So .. it's all about retrieving ;D

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
LOL my lab is confused. He's terrified of water and I swear to god, he's the ONLY dog I have ever seen that doesn't know how to play fetch. I throw a ball and the look he gives me is "B***h you threw my toy, now YOU go get it!" lol. Labradork!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Rocky is the somewhat confused "pure lab" dog (but BYB). He will fetch "most" tennis balls but that's about it. There are days he won't even do that...but he's improved alot over the past year. He is not afraid of the water but does not seem to want to go in much...other than to grab his ball if you throw it, then he's right back out.

Dryf is pure retriever/water dog...and a mix (golden/lab). He will fetch everything and anything and will not stop. It's hard now that he's 13 and can't really run but he has the same drive and WANTS you to throw the toy :) He loves the water. At the cottage he'll go down to the lake on his own, dive for branches, hang out then come out to chew the stick on the dock :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Sami will walk the walk and talk the talk -- she loves retrieving, and that's second only to retrieving in water.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Saska loves retrieving a ball but if I throw a frisbee and she looks at me like you have gone mad, I do not think she knows what it is and what she is supposed to do with it. But when it comes to water she loves walking in puddles and paddling in the sea but that is about it at the moment she has not yet quite got the idea of swimming ;D

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Yep -- my Labrador Retrievers are Retrievers!

True passion for retrieving is not something you can train into a dog. They either have it or they don't. You can increase a dogs drive and make retrieving an enjoyable activity but a dog who lacks in drive will never match a dog who is a natural.

If we get an unwilling dog who is not too thrilled about retrieving at our training classes they will often ask me "How did you train them to do that?". My answer is always, "It didn't. That part comes naturally"

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Dakota too..almost from the first week..he'd run after toys..and yes..if I say a certain toy..9 times out of 10 he will find it. I am still amazed at how smart these dogs are..I was always told "hunting" types are stubborn and dumb. DUH!!!! He is one smart puppy. AND still learning..I've seen a big improvement on certain issues lately. So..in answer to your ?, he does fetch and bring it back..we're working on drop it now. LOL
Jackie

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Re: Does your Labrador walk the walk and talk the talk !?

My Bess seemed to be a "Labrador Chaser" rather than a retriever at first -- chasing after sticks thrown but never bringing them back. But once trained to retrieve, she never got enough of it -- she was insatiable.

My Puff wasn't that much of a Chaser and even less of a Retriever. That scared me because retrieving is such an excellent daily exercise for Labs.

So I tied a 30 foot kite string on a 2" X 12" vinyl Training Dummy ("Lucky Dog" brand, see http://www.gundogsupply.com for one source) and teased her with it enough to get her interest aroused, and then tossed it (holding on to the bitter end of the string). When she went after it and grabbed it, I pulled the TD back to me with Puff attached and then gave her a treat to promote releasing the TD.

I was careful to always keep it fun and quit while she still wanted more. If Puff lost interest after 4 trials, I kept it to no more than 3 the next time. If she lost interest after 3 fetches, I'd drop it to 2.

Gradually her interest built up.

She's not the most dedicated fetching dog but good enough. We walk every morning in a nature preserve for 60-70 minutes and during that time she gets maybe 20-30 retrieves, some from my slinging the TD and some from dropping it on the trail and sending her back to get it.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi will retrieve in the house and in the water, but if you throw out in the yard or while out hiking, no way ::)-She seems to get to distracted. Not sure whats differant about the water, but any river, lake or pond, she will retrieve anything. She also will retrieve specific toys in the house. YEP she is a labradork!!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Sammi will retrieve in the house and in the water, but if you throw out in the yard or while out hiking, no way
Thanks. I forgot something.

I usually recommend that people be sure to practice retrieving in a variety of places. That's because dogs do not generalize well and tend to act like the learning is applicable only in the places they learned it.

For example, 4-5 years ago a woman complained on one of our earlier JL forums that her Lab would retrieve only when she sat in a certain chair of her living room and threw the toy in a certain direction.

If you want Sammi to retrieve more places, you might follow my recipe and see if you can begin getting it occurring more generally.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maggie is definetely a retreiver. She will fetch anything. She has brought home balls that I thought were in ball heaven. It's amazing.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Bob Pr. said:
Sammi will retrieve in the house and in the water, but if you throw out in the yard or while out hiking, no way
Thanks. I forgot something.

I usually recommend that people be sure to practice retrieving in a variety of places. That's because dogs do not generalize well and tend to act like the learning is applicable only in the places they learned it.

For example, 4-5 years ago a woman complained on one of our earlier JL forums that her Lab would retrieve only when she sat in a certain chair of her living room and threw the toy in a certain direction.

If you want Sammi to retrieve more places, you might follow my recipe and see if you can begin getting it occurring more generally.
Thank you, I will defiantly do it! She is very smart, so I'm sure your suggestion will work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Gunny for sure..the only thing he loves retriever more than his ball is a stick or dummy in the water. LOVES to swim..even in the bathtub.

And he is a butt tucking wiggle bum...all labby. lol

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Emma is a retrieving machine. She will not stop and I think would rather die than miss a retireve. She has a high high drive.Aidan will retrieve on command and enjoys it somewhat. However, he prefers to sit on your lap and snuggle instead.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My first two labs were both retrieving fools!

My third lab, Hershey, wouldn't retrieve at all. If I threw a ball for him, he'd give me the "duh, mom, now you're gonna have to go get that" look.

My current lab, Casey, is a moderate retriever. She'll go after something for maybe 8-10 times and then she's ready to move on to another game. I can keep her interested longer if I vary what I'm throwing or throw it in a different direction. Or if I take her down to the lake. Retrieving's much more fun for her if there's swimming involved. :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Skippy was a fairly good retriever, till he tore his ACL sliding past the item on our hillside one too many times. Now he is much more careful and totally overtaken by Emilu. Emilu is a good retriever, LOVES water retrieves - but she's not a tireless "nut" about it. When she gets tired, she quits.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Thank you, I will defiantly do it! She is very smart, so I'm sure your suggestion will work. Thanks again.
Dipete -- Follow every step, as if she was a pup. Tease her with the toy to generate interest (if necessary, smear something attractive on it) so she'll chase it.

Have a string or 1/4"/6 mm rope attached to it so you can bring back both Sammi and the object.

Exchange a treat and MUCH PRAISE for the object.

Keep the number of trials low in the beginning so you quit when they still want to play the game.

FWIW, Ray Coppinger, who's somewhat of a maverick dog expert, in his (& wife's) book "Dogs" says the breed typical sequential motor patterns for dogs is:

Orient___Eye___Stalk___Chase___Grab-bite___Kill-bite

and that each breed emphasizes or de-emphasizes some more than others.

For retrievers, he says it's:

Orient___eye___stalk___chase___GRAB-BITE___(kill-bite)

He doesn't list retrieving as being among the innate tendencies. From my experience with two Labs, I'd sure emphasize "chase" for Labs more than he does.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts