Just Labradors banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Here's my curly hair Maggie. (not the greatest picture of her, she didn't want to stand still)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Phoebe has lots of waves too. They get very pronounced when she goes swimming. It's cute. You can kind of see them in this picture:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks all for your responses!

I did mean wavy not curly! My brain was not functioning I guess! :eek:

My dog is as wavy as the rest of ya! I'll put some pics up when I get my digi back!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine has the wavy back also. Let's make up a new song, we can call it "Wavy Back" and it will go the tune of "Sexy Back" buy Justin Timberlake.

I've got a wavy back
all other dogs don't know how to act........

·
Registered
9 Posts
My chocolate lab puppy is now just over 4 months old and he also have the waves on his back. I had two yellow Labs and not one of them had it. Is is more common in the black and chocolate labs? He is now getting his bigdog coat all over his body just the head still to go. He also scratches allot. He is on Ultra dog food and I also put Revolution on him for fleas. Now he starts to loose a little bit of his puppy fur on his head and it seams like there will is an open spot or two one. Any
suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll have to supply image later but my 5 yo chocolate is not just wavy but super scruffy between the shoulder blades to the point that he gets confused for a chessie continually. However his color is not washed out like a chessies. It started at 3 years of age which coincided with more frequent ocean swimming (3-4 times per week). He's an extremely dark chocolate with golden almost blonde accents from the sun. The sun drying when wet creates interesting color patterns. I suspected it was the water and some of the images here reinforce that hunch. His shoulders look like Baloo's rump only much wavier. I think the effect is more extreme because he has one of the thicker undercoats I've ever seen on a lab and very coarse hair that is nothing like the finer coat on our 1 yo yellow female who at this point has little undercoat at all. I will return with images.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Standard allows for some "feathering" but water effects are not genetic and if it were important would reverse themselves with time away from water but who really cares and who could be so cruel to.deny a lab their water time?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Siren has it too, especially when wet, or humid like today. Then at the hind just before his tail he has a little tuft that stands up a bit, we call it his faring.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My Lilly has the wave!! My first Lab, Ellen, had the wave. My second Lab, Katie, did not.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine has the wavy back also. Let's make up a new song, we can call it "Wavy Back" and it will go the tune of "Sexy Back" buy Justin Timberlake.

I've got a wavy back
all other dogs don't know how to act........
LOL.... That is HILARIOUS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Scout, SoCal Beach Lab

Top of shoulder was wavy but with ocean swimming and harness for skateboarding it never lays flat anymore and looks like he's had a perm... As mentioned above I get asked if he's a Chesapeake a lot, but not from those who know labs. He's got golden blond mixed in with the dark chocolate. I see some other choco-labs with the golden blond and owners confirm it is from the sun but I think it has something to do with drying in the sun when wet.

Dog Canidae Police dog Dog breed Disc dog Dog breed Dog Mammal Canidae Sporting Group Dog Dog breed Canidae Mammal Labrador retriever

·
Registered
215 Posts
Kai has a wavy strip going down the middle of her back as well! I get asked if she is a chesapeake a lot.. The other day someone asked me if she was part rhodesian ridgeback because of the wavy area on her back, which I was really surprised by haha. I didn't realize it was so common for other labs to have!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts