Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else's labs had curly hair. Lucky Dog has curly hair that runs down the center of her back. Other labs I've seen have straight hair. My trainer said that it's just a quirk with some labs.

Just curious! ;D

·
Registered
321 Posts
Haven't seen a lab with curly hair, but saw a beautiful "curly-coated retriever" at the dog park the other day. Thought it was a labradoodle...

Either way, what fun to have a bit of curly hair on your lab :)

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Rowan has somewhat of a 'wavy' 'coarser' coat and I have been told many a times 'she has a great Labrador' coat. She takes after her Daddy apparently in that regard.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Rowdy and my late black Lab Midnite have/had that wave down the center of the back.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Baloo has wavy hair on his back as well.

Like this..?

It gets wavier when it's wet, I love it!! :D

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
A one to three inch wide strip down the back of courser wavy fur is quite common and within the breed standard. Youused the term curly, when does a wave become a curl? What I read sayd the curly is not within the standard. So, I guess if the hair does not loop back on itself, it is wavy?????

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BJ has the wave too. People ask me all the time if that is just a puppy thing or if he will keep it. I love his wave!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ernie has the wave down the back. Our friend came over on 4th of July and insisted that he is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever! I just walked away b/c she was so right there was no point in trying to tell her otherwise ::) Yesterday we were in Petsmart and a guy said the same thing. Stupid AKC---they will register any old mutt I guess ;)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Three of my 4 do. You can sort of see it on Lily here..

And certainly on Rhum here...

Gryphon has a straighter coat, yet tons of it and very slight wave.

My Cinder had a great coat, when she was more healthy and not on meds. She also had a thick wave to it.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Both my blacks have "the wave" (like Balloo's pictures), Flynn quite a bit more than Seamus. Paddy's coat is bristle straight.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts