Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've discovered something funny about Henery!

He loves balls... any kind, paws down. However, given the choice between say, a tennis ball, a rubber ball, stuffy balls, squishy foamy balls, he will pick the tennis ball every time.

Today at the park we were playing Chuck-It! Normally I use the Kong squeakie tennis balls in his Chuck-It but we left it at Gma & Gpa's house last night. So I substituted a rubber ball that I had in the car. He looked at me as if to say, "Wha-?" ??? He kinda rolled it around in his mouth for a while, then spat it out. Looked back at me as it to will a tennis ball to magically appear. When none did, he settled for the rubber ball. After all, it is Chuck-It!

Why? Taste? Texture? Or is it a Henery-ism??

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Hah! my dogs are the opposite -- I notice that they prefer rubber balls to tennis balls. I think they like them more because rubber balls are harder AND they bounce super high.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Theo is a tennis-ball kind of guy. Kong squeaky tennis balls, ideally. He also really loves these cheap vinyl balls that come 3 to a package at Petsmart. Otherwise, he'll play with all sorts of different balls in the house and courtyard, but in the park it has to be a tennis ball.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
HAH! I'm glad you started this, Felicia. Same with my guys. Take a rubber ball and a tennisball, throw each, they'll ignore the rubber ball and go after the t/b. The muddier-cruddier-fuzzier it is, the better.

Works out just fine because Scamp (my Lhasa) is partial to the rubber balls.

:)

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Caleb will bring back whatever toy we toy we throw. But, when it comes to cuddling- it's Tickle Me Elmo hands down.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Give Poppy a tennis ball everytime.What i find amazing is that she knows the difference between her tennis balls and the kids balls. She is also like this with her "Mr Squeaky" (soft toy)...she will always carry her Mr Squeaky but has never gone anywhere near the kids soft toys (with the exception of the Pink Panther!!!).

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Interesting you bring this up because I have been using the rubber Chuck-It balls but since we were down to only one rubber one I decided to use the tennis ball. He would go to the tennis ball but come back without it. Always returns with the rubber one and then wants to play keep away with me..lol

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi will defuzz the tennis ball, and it becomes a rubber ball ;)-the best is a squeaky rubber ball ;D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Gunny LOVES the large Cuz balls..honestly he lost his 2 days ago and has been whining..searching ever since, I have no clue where this big orange rubber ball went..so I had to buy him a new one today. He could care less about retrieving anything but this orange large cuz. His dad loved the Cuz too. He'll retrieve a tennis ball but he's not excited and really doesn't have as much fun. He carries his Cuz around like a security blanket..we have to say "NI NI" to the Cuz at night or he drives me crazy occasionally chewing on it when I'm sleeping.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Abby prefers tennis balls. But the good kind, not the cheapy ones. As a matter of fact, she will show her displeasure when presented with a cheapy tennis ball by either tearing it apart in seconds flat or de-fuzzing it. Nothing but Wilson tennis balls for my girl!

For inside the house (yes, I play ball with her inside the house!) we use light plastic balls. The ones you can buy in a pack of 6 at PetsMart.

Jack isn't a big ball player. He will steal the ball from Abby and likes for us to throw it high in the air so he can jump up and catch it. It's the only way he can catch a ball. If you throw it at him from a distance, 9 times out of 10 he will just stand there and let it bounce off his head. He's such a dufus!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Bear has favorites #1 his Air-Kong Sqeaky ball #2 the Cuz #3 The red rubber kong balls - if he can find one he'll grab the next in line everytime.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Emma agrees with Henery....she will take a tennis ball over ANY other ball or toy.

Aidan is not a ball fan..he prefers stuffed toys. And we noticed something else... if they are BIG stuffies, he trashes them. If they are smaller ones, he won't de-stuff and de-stroy it. I think maybe because he thinks it is a "Real" toy, ie: Katie's, so he takes better care of it.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Henery, you are becoming so selective in your adulthood. LOL

Zoe does not retrieve little balls. :-\ ::) Tennis balls are to tear apart; she has no interest in rubber balls...(and Felicia, I cannot find that red rubber ball I wanted to send to Henry)

Zoe goes after soccer balls, her chicken, her pigs and little walmart monster toys.

Her plush toys now-a-days remain intact. **sigh** she's growing up.

G

·
Wilson Tennis Balls! Maggie knows the difference for sure. She will also blow up the cheapo no-name brand tennis balls. I have thrown the offbrand ones and she just does the "glare" you have got to be kidding me! She will go and get it, but bring it back deflated.

What do you think your dog would do if you brought him/her to watch a tennis match? Ha, I think I will do that this weekend. We have tennis courts by the beach.

G

·
Sydney got to toy balls from her secret pal. They are from Planetdog. She LOVES them!! I'm not kidding, she will take it everywhere.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
yellow theo much prefers tennis balls over all others. he likes to get them as soppy and squishy wet as possible.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Jake loves his purple bad cuz most of all.

He will fetch tennis balls, but much prefers harder rubber balls. And if the tennis ball goes anywhere near dog poop, he won't touch it - and he's the first dog in the yard chowing down on any stray poop usually ::)

G

·
Casey prefers balls that can also be tugged like tennis balls on a rope, her Jolly ball, romp and roll, etc. As long as the tugging element is present, she doesn't seem to have any size or textural preferences. The only "plain" balls that she likes to play with are the ones that dispense food. LOL

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Ruger is definitely a tennis ball man. AND, he doesn't just want any tennis ball... he picks ONE and that one is his. You can throw a hundred others, but he will only want the one he picked as his ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts