Just Labradors banner

Subject says it all... does your boy or girl catch?

• Heck yeah! I should play for the [insert favorite baseball team here]!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes, but it is a skill I have not yet mastered.

• I sure try but this darn nose of mine keeps getting in the way.

• Nah, I'll just get it off the ground, you do your job and throw and let me do mine.

• Catch? You are lucky if you get me to retrieve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Boo is getting pretty good with the whole retrieve idea and even the whole part of brining the ball, dummy or Frisbee back to me. Sometime though she will try to catch, sometimes when we are just playing and not doing actual retrieves and sometimes when she manages to out run the Frisbee. More often than not though the toy just bounces off her nose. So I was wondering does your lab catch? Is it something you taught them or they picked up on their own?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Rowdy is very good at it, but he just picked it up on his own, my other two from the past, heck they couldn't catch worth a darn.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ruger is the master of catching. The first time he caught something surprised the heck out of me. He was about four months old and a very coordinated boy... Now Magnum, that's a different story. Usually bounces off his nose then under a piece of furniture. ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Jake fetches and he still thinks it is a game, when he brings it back.

Brody does not fetch, but you can throw a ball across the yard and he will catch it - he is getting better at dropping it on command.

Brody in action -

·
Registered
745 Posts
Kody is not much for retrieving, but he is a natural at catching. Started as a puppy and still loves to catch. He will catch just about anything you throw to him except treats. Toss a biscuit and it will bounce off his head or nose everytime. :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ranger actually taught me to throw the ball so he could catch it. He'd leap up and try and catch it as I throw it. So now we play catch instead of fetch most of the time. He seems to give up the ball easier if I let him catch it. If I throw it for him to fetch, he plays a game of keep away! ;D He'll be 6 months old next week. I hope eventually to be able to play catch and fetch with him where he will bring it back 95 percent of the time. He's pretty ornery, so time will tell. ;D

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Buddy neither catches nor retrieves, yet. I keep working on it. I hope some day he'll be able to see other dogs catching and retrieving and the light bulb will go on. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Riley is a master catcher. He can catch anything. He likes to bounce the ball off the end of his nose before he catches it. He loves to catch the Frisbee the best! And he will bring it back for a repeat throw, over and over for hours if he could.
He is a true ball crazy lab!! ;D ;D

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Both of mine are AWESOME catchers. Murray could definitely play for MLB because he can also throw. Yes I said "throw". He runs back to me and as he gets close he literally throws the ball at me. I guess it saves time. ::) ;D

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Maggie can catch,she's very good at it. Daisy kind of supervises. Short throws Daisy will catch but she just can't follow the tennis ball as well as Maggie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts