Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyonce in awhile Shelby does not want to go on our daily morning walk. She will start off ok but within a few min she starts jumping on me and gives me this look "I'm done" I try to ignore it and continue on our walk but she continues to jump and gravitates back in the direction of home, so head back and the behavior stops. She will also do this if we are somewhere where she can be off lead.

Just curious if this happens to anyone else and if me doing what she wants is not a good thing? :confused:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Only time that HK is not happy to be out, is if it is really raining. She loves the water, i.e. swimming and running in ponds, lakes, rivers, but she does not like the rain.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Peanut yes, Baloo no. :)

Peanut has gotten good at just trudging along though, because she knows I'll make her go anyway (this is only when the weather is bad, otherwise she's good to go). The idea of Baloo NOT wanting to go for a walk is unimaginable to me.

Is there a certain stimulus for this behaviour that you can figure out? Like weather, your mood, things that happened that day or in the days before..?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine's still pretty much a puppy so even after several hours of vigorous activity and appearing to be dead on the floor, if I so much as go near the leash or walk toward the door, he's nuts again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a certain stimulus for this behaviour that you can figure out? Like weather, your mood, things that happened that day or in the days before..?[/QUOTE]

not that i can think of, i can understand when she is able to be off lead, we have alot of open areas we go to (usually on the weekends) where she run and romp around and i think she just gets tired. But this morning we went on our usual walk, she went potty then started the jumping and wanted to go back. Whe we returned she went and got one of her toys and played for a bit and now she is sleeping.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The idea of Baloo NOT wanting to go for a walk is unimaginable to me.
Lexi is the same way! Her NOT wanting to go for a walk or my having to force her is a foreign concept . Perhaps many years from now, when she is older... maybe, but for the forseeable future not likely. :eek:

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
At night, just before going to bed, I will take Wesley out for "Last of the Tinkles." That's exactly what I call it, btw, and it's a holdover from his younger days when it was required for him to make it thru the night.

At nine years old (almost), it's more habit now than necessity.

And occasionally, he'll be snoring away in his crate, snug as a bug, and I'll come at him w/the leash at 11PM or so and announce "Last of the Tinkles".....

And he'll slowly drag one eye open and give me a look that say.

...are you out of your effing mind?

I'm so mean. I make him go anyway.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm gonna take it as a "I'm not in the mood to walk...it's way to early" i came home for lunch and took her out for short walk..no problems at all....i guess the 630am walks are getting to her like they are to me...lol Soon enough she'll appreciate the early morning walks as we will be hitting triple digits by june!

Thanks for all your responses...have a great day everyone!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
No - my two are always ready, rain or shine, hot or cold. I'm the one who doesn't want to walk in the rain or cold. :eek:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
How old is Shelby? What is your weather like?

My boys love walks, unless it's hot and sunny. Buddy does not like to be outside then; not at the dog park, not at the house, not on a walk, not with a mouse! ;) His coat actually gets hot to the touch, so I can imagine how warm he is inside of it. He will go to the park, but just walks around for a few minutes to check the pee mail, then finds a shady spot and lays down.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Everyonce in awhile Shelby does not want to go on our daily morning walk. She will start off ok but within a few min she starts jumping on me and gives me this look "I'm done" I try to ignore it and continue on our walk but she continues to jump and gravitates back in the direction of home, so head back and the behavior stops. She will also do this if we are somewhere where she can be off lead.

Just curious if this happens to anyone else and if me doing what she wants is not a good thing? :confused:
No, there's not a single day i could mention to you, that Laika says: "No, i dont want to go for a walk" ;)

Snow, rain or a heavy (windy) storm doesnt bother her (or me) .. Even with new years, while they enlight a lot of consumers fireworks evry where in the Netherlands (realy, it some times look like a war zone!). She goes out side, just if it is the normal thing to do at that specific moment (most dogs are in the house, and dont show up in the streets!) ...

So, i realy cant remember when Laika said: "No" ;)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Mine pretty much want to "go for a walk" all the time - can't think of a time when they didn't want to. However - one time when we were on the Ranger, Emilu went up one way, and then when we started out on another trail, she sat and waited for us to come back. Skippy always runs out in front of us, and Emilu trails behind. This time she said "nope -not going to run that much - I'll wait right here for you to come back, thank-you"

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi is also a rain hater! Not good for a dog in the NW, but once she's out there and drenched, like when she's swimming, she's just fine:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts