Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When he was younger I thought he looked really "fieldy". I finally was able to meet his sire and dam about four months ago. They are both purebred Labs but Sawyer was the product of an oops litter. His dam is from working lines and is field bred and very beautiful. His sire is chocolate English bred boy who actually had some experience in the show ring. So in the technical sense I know he's a sort of mix of the two "builds" of lab. But im just curious just for fun which end of the spectrum do you think Sawyers build kinda leans towards? When he was younger I thought it looked like a field Lab no question. But as he has begun to grow he seems to be looking slightly more like his dad but still not near the AKC standard. Really I don't have any pictures of him in a good side view. I will try to get some later today. So I guess im asking your opinions based on my avatar and sig. I know not the best pics to judge and im really not concerned. Im just curious what other people think when they see him.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kaznalf said:
Id say english purely for the fact he doesnt look as tall as Alfie lol
Lol he does look like a midget compared to him huh? But Sawyer says he could still grow!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Felix said:
Ask the same question if he/she has the adult age, and you have a good picture from aside, so then it is more easily to say in wich categorie she fits. But for the moment, and following what you alredy told us, i whould say: "English" ;) :whistle:
Yeah like I said I don't have a good picture of him from the side. But I will try and get one later. He is almost 11 months old. So yeah he's still in the gawky stage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wow - he's still got some growing to do! I remember Teddy would change from looking short and stout to lean and athletic regularly over the past year! He's now 2yrs 2mths and I still think he's growing :suspious:

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Field. He doesn't have the shorter legs or barreled chest.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tedsta said:
Wow - he's still got some growing to do! I remember Teddy would change from looking short and stout to lean and athletic regularly over the past year! He's now 2yrs 2mths and I still think he's growing :suspious:
Thats wild. It will be cool to see how Sawyer grows considering his parents.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Labs that are 'halfies' (one parents is 100% field, one parent 100% show) tend to physically resemble their field counterparts more than their show counterparts. I don't know why, but the field side tends to be more prominant. Although they won't be as 'extreme' looking as a Lab that is 100% field -- they are likely to have a bit more bone, coat, not be as lean etc.

One of my boys is a product of a 100% field dam (typical field dog) and a dual purpose sire (see: http://leospring.moonfruit.com/#/monarch/4527585817). As a youngster he was LEAN and gangly. Now he is filled out, at nearly 6 years of age, and looks like a different dog. He has nice features of both 'types' -- his dads coat, deep chest, etc.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Trickster said:
Labs that are 'halfies' (one parents is 100% field, one parent 100% show) tend to physically resemble their field counterparts more than their show counterparts. I don't know why, but the field side tends to be more prominant. Although they won't be as 'extreme' looking as a Lab that is 100% field -- they are likely to have a bit more bone, coat, not be as lean etc.

One of my boys is a product of a 100% field dam (typical field dog) and a dual purpose sire (see: http://leospring.moonfruit.com/#/monarch/4527585817). As a youngster he was LEAN and gangly. Now he is filled out, at nearly 6 years of age, and looks like a different dog. He has nice features of both 'types' -- his dads coat, deep chest, etc.
Yes, Nellie is part field and part bench.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the info. I look forward to seeing how he grows up.

BigBrownDog said:
He has awfully dark pigment (at least in that pic) for having a Chocolate sire.
He looks almost white in the pics on my computer. Aside from his ears. He was much darker as a pup and has lightened up as he grew. His sire is a darker chocolate if that makes any difference. He came from a litter of 12 where eleven were yellow like him and one black female. His dam is a light yellow.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yellows can still have very correct black pigment and have a chocolate parent. They can still get a black gene from the other parent and thus only carry chocolate. Only yellows with two chocolate genes are Dudley (no black pigment) or liver nosed yellows.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
WigWag said:
Yellows can still have very correct black pigment and have a chocolate parent. They can still get a black gene from the other parent and thus only carry chocolate. Only yellows with two chocolate genes are Dudley (no black pigment) or liver nosed yellows.
I did not know that (clearly)! Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts