I use DE on my horses to keep the flys off and get rid of mites. It helps with the itching. I hadn't thought about using it on the dogs though.TheLimpShrimp said:I have tried something called Diatomaceous Earth - you have to rub it (it's a fine powder) into their coats and sprinkle their bedding with it. I've found it works great for fleas - the past summer the dogs had an awful infestation and my topical preventative wasn't working. I used the DE and it cleared them up within days. Try googling for it; there's a bunch of sites detailing it's uses:you have to be careful to get food-grade quality and to use it correctly.
FallRiver said:Why not keep her healthy so she won't get Lyme disease olice:
Checking for ticks is miraculously easy...just quickly run a rake or comb through her when you get home. Isn't that better than spreading poison on her?
Sorry to be facetious, but I'm very serious and so are those chemicals. They are neurotoxins...they are pesticides.
If you use this product and have small children, do NOT let them pat the dog without washing their hands well immediately afterward. These neurotoxins have a large impact on the developing nervous system.
So Autumn comes back inside from being out in the yard with a tick on her and she is now considered a weak dog with a weak immune system? She is fed great and has not had any health problems... I do not understand how her immune system could be any better to fight off this tick that happened to jump on her while she was out in the yard. ??? ??? ??? ???Yellow Boys Mom said:My holistic vet recommends Ark Natural's Neem spray if you have to use something. As Dana said if you build the immune system you won't get the parasites. Parasites gravitate to the weak.
Excuse me for not knowing this but which poster is Dana and where did she say that "if you build the immune system you won't get parasites" and that "parasites gravitate to the weak"?Yellow Boys Mom said:As Dana said if you build the immune system you won't get the parasites. Parasites gravitate to the weak.
See my above postApollopuppy said:I dont think the other posters were trying to say that if you dog gets a tick on them that they are weak.
What I DO think they were trying to say is this:
On a healthy dog, 1 or 2 ticks is not a problem. On a healthy dog there isnt a risk of them becoming anemic from the ticks, and the risk of them contracting lyme disease is low, due to their strong immune system, THEREFORE, the focus should not be so much on preventing the ticks from getting onto the dog (through the use of highly toxic pesticides) but instead on increaseing the strength of the dog's immune system and also by combing the dog over after it ventures outside.
I dont have Apollo on flea or tick preventatives, yes I live right in the heart of tick country. Apollo is a black lab, but its actually really easy for me to comb him over with a flea comb whenever we comb back from hiking in the woods. (When we go for a walk in the suburbs however, I normally dont flea/tick comb him after returing into the house.) To comb Apollo over I just have him lay down and I check his fur. He enjoys it, I enjoy it and its a great 'bonding activity'. But the best part is that I am not putting any harsh preventatives onto my dog. a happy ending for both of us.