Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there was another reliable flea and tick preventative that doesn't have all those chemicals in them. I'd like to be as "natural" as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
I have tried something called Diatomaceous Earth - you have to rub it (it's a fine powder) into their coats and sprinkle their bedding with it. I've found it works great for fleas - the past summer the dogs had an awful infestation and my topical preventative wasn't working. I used the DE and it cleared them up within days. Try googling for it; there's a bunch of sites detailing it's uses:you have to be careful to get food-grade quality and to use it correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,765 Posts
To be honest, I don't know how much they work and how much they just make us feel better about doing something. The reason I say this is because I tried Neem Oil, and it worked pretty good for fleas (did nothing for ticks) and so I thought it worked. Now, I just check Jes myself and the only time I ever use anything is during the few weeks that ticks are really bad. He's never had fleas, and I don't use anything for him - other than Frontline during the peak tick season.

I'd nothing and see how that goes - can't get any more natural than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,752 Posts
I'm not sure about ticks, but garlic and brewer's yeast is supposed to repel fleas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
You can also use lemon water...it will kill existing fleas.
I haven't used flea prevention in many years and have never had a flea (or my dogs) ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,426 Posts
TheLimpShrimp said:
I have tried something called Diatomaceous Earth - you have to rub it (it's a fine powder) into their coats and sprinkle their bedding with it. I've found it works great for fleas - the past summer the dogs had an awful infestation and my topical preventative wasn't working. I used the DE and it cleared them up within days. Try googling for it; there's a bunch of sites detailing it's uses:you have to be careful to get food-grade quality and to use it correctly.
I use DE on my horses to keep the flys off and get rid of mites. It helps with the itching. I hadn't thought about using it on the dogs though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm, so there's nothing like Advantix, but natural? That sucks, we are in major Lyme's disease territory, and she's black, so using nothing and checking for ticks is kind of difficult. Advantix it is, I guess. Thanks guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
Why not keep her healthy so she won't get Lyme disease :police:
Checking for ticks is miraculously easy...just quickly run a rake or comb through her when you get home. Isn't that better than spreading poison on her?
Sorry to be facetious, but I'm very serious and so are those chemicals. They are neurotoxins...they are pesticides.
If you use this product and have small children, do NOT let them pat the dog without washing their hands well immediately afterward. These neurotoxins have a large impact on the developing nervous system. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,794 Posts
My holistic vet recommends Ark Natural's Neem spray if you have to use something. As Dana said if you build the immune system you won't get the parasites. Parasites gravitate to the weak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FallRiver said:
Why not keep her healthy so she won't get Lyme disease :police:
Checking for ticks is miraculously easy...just quickly run a rake or comb through her when you get home. Isn't that better than spreading poison on her?
Sorry to be facetious, but I'm very serious and so are those chemicals. They are neurotoxins...they are pesticides.
If you use this product and have small children, do NOT let them pat the dog without washing their hands well immediately afterward. These neurotoxins have a large impact on the developing nervous system. :p

Thank you so much for the wake up call. You are absolutely right. After dropping Lola off at doggie day care this morning, I had a lengthy conversation with one of the women there. She is extremely holitstic, and pretty much recommended the same thing you did. Lola has been very very healthy,(knock on wood) we've recently switched to a raw diet so it looks like diligence is a much better option then poison. Thanks again. After switching to raw, I've been very conflicted about all the other things vets say we must give our dogs, such as vaccines and the tick stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,233 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU ;D ;D ;D ;D

Do you have a holistic vet in your area? I have an allopathic vet and a holistic one, and you're right...sometimes they can sway you and I'll find myself driving home agreeing with them and by the time I get home, I am thinking more clearly and am not letting fear drive my decision making.
Sometimes we just need the support of others doing the same thing and having success :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,794 Posts
Good!!!! I know since Caleb has been on raw I can count on one hand the number of fleas I have found on him and that is with being at the training center, dog shows, hiking, etc. When I am really concerned I use the Neem spray.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Yellow Boys Mom said:
My holistic vet recommends Ark Natural's Neem spray if you have to use something. As Dana said if you build the immune system you won't get the parasites. Parasites gravitate to the weak.
So Autumn comes back inside from being out in the yard with a tick on her and she is now considered a weak dog with a weak immune system? She is fed great and has not had any health problems... I do not understand how her immune system could be any better to fight off this tick that happened to jump on her while she was out in the yard. ??? ??? ??? ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
I dont think the other posters were trying to say that if you dog gets a tick on them that they are weak.

What I DO think they were trying to say is this:

On a healthy dog, 1 or 2 ticks is not a problem. On a healthy dog there isnt a risk of them becoming anemic from the ticks, and the risk of them contracting lyme disease is low, due to their strong immune system, THEREFORE, the focus should not be so much on preventing the ticks from getting onto the dog (through the use of highly toxic pesticides) but instead on increaseing the strength of the dog's immune system and also by combing the dog over after it ventures outside.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont have Apollo on flea or tick preventatives, yes I live right in the heart of tick country. Apollo is a black lab, but its actually really easy for me to comb him over with a flea comb whenever we comb back from hiking in the woods. (When we go for a walk in the suburbs however, I normally dont flea/tick comb him after returing into the house.) To comb Apollo over I just have him lay down and I check his fur. He enjoys it, I enjoy it and its a great 'bonding activity'. But the best part is that I am not putting any harsh preventatives onto my dog. a happy ending for both of us. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,794 Posts
No, one tick does not really mean anything. A friend of mine who has fed raw for years even finds a tick once in a while. Caleb has had a tick and has even picked up a flea at the building. It is not an infestation, just one. Not a big deal.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Yellow Boys Mom said:
As Dana said if you build the immune system you won't get the parasites. Parasites gravitate to the weak.
Excuse me for not knowing this but which poster is Dana and where did she say that "if you build the immune system you won't get parasites" and that "parasites gravitate to the weak"?

I have 2 labs, a male who is 9 months old, and a female who is 8 years old. Both have been fed raw since 8 weeks of age, both not overly vaccinated, and both who appear to have a strong immune system. When taking them for a hike in the woods, they both explore the same places and both lay down in the tall grass. But the young male will typically pick up 6 - 10 ticks after each hike and the older female picks up zero. So what does a weak or strong immune system have to do with getting parasites?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
I dont think the other posters were trying to say that if you dog gets a tick on them that they are weak.

What I DO think they were trying to say is this:

On a healthy dog, 1 or 2 ticks is not a problem. On a healthy dog there isnt a risk of them becoming anemic from the ticks, and the risk of them contracting lyme disease is low, due to their strong immune system, THEREFORE, the focus should not be so much on preventing the ticks from getting onto the dog (through the use of highly toxic pesticides) but instead on increaseing the strength of the dog's immune system and also by combing the dog over after it ventures outside.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont have Apollo on flea or tick preventatives, yes I live right in the heart of tick country. Apollo is a black lab, but its actually really easy for me to comb him over with a flea comb whenever we comb back from hiking in the woods. (When we go for a walk in the suburbs however, I normally dont flea/tick comb him after returing into the house.) To comb Apollo over I just have him lay down and I check his fur. He enjoys it, I enjoy it and its a great 'bonding activity'. But the best part is that I am not putting any harsh preventatives onto my dog. a happy ending for both of us. :)
See my above post
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Apollo,

I understand what you are saying and read your response to the other poster but that still doesn't explain Yellow Boys Mom's statement. Yellow Boys Mom said:
"As Dana said if you build the immune system you won't get the parasites. Parasites gravitate to the weak."

You said:
"I dont think the other posters were trying to say that if you dog gets a tick on them that they are weak."

That's exactly what Yellow Boys Mom quoted Dana (whoever that is) as saying.

Help me out here. Am I missing something? Did Dana's (whoever that is) post get deleted or revised?
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top