Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so as I've posted a billion times before, Abbey is a picky eater and she has some food allergies. Working with the vet, I think we've narrowed her allergies down to grain and red meat.

I've tried a few different grain-free foods such as Evo, and a couple varieties of TOTW and as a whole, she's been much better off than she was with the grain kibble. She was on Evo but it was too rich in protein for her and she had loose stools for months. I had her on the Salmon TOTW but that gave her really bad gas and bad breath, so I tried the Bison/Venison variety which got rid of most of the gas, but she was really itchy on that and she got a rash on her tummy.

So I went to the local feed store, not Petsmart/Petco, but a place that carries all of the highest quality dog foods, including a bunch of different grain-free types. I talked to one of the people there who "specializes" in dog food, but I don't by any means think he has a degree in it or anything of that sort.

He basically said that if you have a dog who has allergies, you can switch up the dog's food every 3-4 weeks. I don't really know how I feel about it, but the way he explained it kind of made sense. Since most of the time it takes at least 3-4 weeks for a dog to show signs of a food allergy, by switching it before that happens, you don't get the side effects of a food allergy. He recommended the new Wellness Core grain-free kibble, which I have just switched her to, and so far so good. It doesn't have red meat as a protein source, so I'm interesting to see how this goes for her. If I chose to do this switching thing, I would do the Wellness Core for a month, transition to another grain-free for a month, then back to the Wellness Core.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea and haven't found too much good, solid info online.. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I will just say that I have fed 7 dogs over 12 years on the same brand for all. and all are thriving with good coats, etc, etc, etc. (Flynn's toofy thing is something else)

We don't exactly "supplement" their food, but they do get leftover vegetables and clear broth from soups drizzled on top of their kibble a couple of times a week.

We are happy with that so we stick with it.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I haven't heard of that rapid rotation approach to allergies, but it sounds interesting (although I have no idea if it is valid). It might work, but I would be concerned about loose stools and such, when switching so often, but maybe she'd be fine with it.

We have started rotating kibble for Bella, but it is not nearly as frequent. We are feeding Nature's Variety Prairie and switch to a different formula every 2 or 3 bags. So far we've only done Venison to Chicken (which went without incident) and will maybe go to lamb next before going to back to chicken.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I hope you find a good solution for Abbey.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I change my dogs food all the time with no problems, but they are used to it. Plus they get lots of different things like fresh veggies and differnet meats.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rottnlab dad said:
I haven't heard of that rapid rotation approach to allergies, but it sounds interesting (although I have no idea if it is valid). It might work, but I would be concerned about loose stools and such, when switching so often, but maybe she'd be fine with it.

We have started rotating kibble for Bella, but it is not nearly as frequent. We are feeding Nature's Variety Prairie and switch to a different formula every 2 or 3 bags. So far we've only done Venison to Chicken (which went without incident) and will maybe go to lamb next before going to back to chicken.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I hope you find a good solution for Abbey.
Yeah, I wasn't so sure about it either, but I think if the two foods are kind of similar and she's eaten them before, giving a week in between each "switch" to go from one to the other, it might work. I still have doubts, but who knows.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Ernie has always had allergies. After about a month on a kibble he starts getting really itchy. I change and he is fine. I don't rotate as such it is more looking for a food that is o.k. for him.

Sometimes he could go 3-5 months on a particular brand before he started again. A few times I switched back to one he has had before if that is all I can get. He would be o.k. but the itching would start sooner. For him it could be 3 days or 3 months before the allergy became worse.

I eventually put him on raw until he was diagnosed with Crohns. It took 8 weeks with the illimination diet to see if the food was o.k. Was good, then 6 months later it started again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Justine, I have the boys on Wellness Core Ocean Fish variety and they are both doing awesome on it. It is grain-free and not as high in protein as some of the others you've tried.

I tried switching them to the Wellness Super 5 fish variety (wheat and corn free), but before the switch was over they has gas and were acting like they were literally starving to death. That concerned me more than the farts. Like 95% of Labs, they are always hungry and ready to eat, but with the Super 5, they were obnoxious about begging for food and pushing to get fed.

I can't afford to toss out half a bag of food, so we're combining them 2/3 CORE and 1/3 Super 5 until the Super 5 is gone. Then we will stay on the CORE in spite of the cost.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Franky if she is allergic to certain ingredients I would have thought that the grain-free foods (being very ingredient dense) would not be a great choice for her. Instead, perhaps try something more simple with a single meat and single grain source?

I tend to rotate kibble flavours, not so much brands. I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts