Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about Proheart 6 proving fatal to many dogs, and this naturally got me worried. I read something about Black Walnut Extract being used as an alternative method. Does anyone know anything about this or other homeopathic preventatives?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You can get a heartworm nosode which is given with the black walnut tincture.
You can also apply this:
Fill a small spray bottle with the following.

· 2 drops each, rosemary and lavender oil *

· 3 drops of citronella oil

· 20 drops or so of rose geranium (plumarosa) oil

· 1/2 ounce or one tablespoonful of alcohol based tincture of bay

· 1/2 ounce or one tablespoonful alcohol based green black-walnut hull tincture

· 8 ounces of distilled water

*You may, if you prefer, use 3 to 4 drops of one or the other.

This can be sprayed directly on one’s dogs every time they go out, or one’s self for that matter. Spraying it on things like lawn or deck furniture can also be very effective.

You can also feed your dog a clove or two of garlic each day as this is a natural repellent. There are garlic sprays that can also be used in your yard.

Of course, diet is the cornerstone of all this. :police:

·
Registered
101 Posts
FallRiver, I've read a lot of fuss over on the yahoo boards about not using essential oils on dogs and to definitely not use them if you have cats in the house (which is my situation). It seems some people are concerned about a toxic reaction. I wasn't planning on using anything on the cats, just on Indy. What's your take on this?

They've got me so scared I'm only using apple cider vinegar on Indy, internally and externally, and I don't know if it's working, just two days after a hard freeze I was rinsing mud off him and three or four little black critters went down the drain, I later found bites on his, um, more delicate areas. Poor baby, they were round, red and big (about the size of my finger tip). They bother him too, he didn't even want me to look let alone touch. I'm not sure if they were fleas or ticks (didn't get a good look). Physical inspection did not turn up any pests before or since.

I know I need to start using diatmaceous earth on the yard and probably the pets too. We have a pretty significant mosquito population too. I'd really like to use a repellant spray on Indy, like the one you suggested, but I'm concerned about the whole essential oil thing.

I know there are some pretty extreme opinions out there, and wonder if I'm avoiding good repellants for no good reason?

I'm sorry to high jack your thread ;D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts