Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NPR is my favorite media.

I have it on almost all day, car and at home. I like my station's classical music and also the NPR's presentation of news and magazine type articles.

2X/year they have membership drives, $$$ pledge entreaties, and need volunteers to answer phones and take the info and the $$ pledges.

Since I'm retired and have less income, I still support them but at a smaller amount. To compensate, I volunteer twice a year, 12 hours a drive, answering phones, taking the pledged contributions.

It's fun -- I've gotten to know the on-air staff as well as most of the off-air station staff that support them

Plus also gotten to know more about the food outlets in Lawrence since various shops supply lunches and dinners for us volunteers. And in that eating, I've found the greatest pizza I've ever eaten.

There can be unanticipated advantages to volunteering.

This is my station -- its programs are available online around/throughout the world -- Kansas Public Radio 91.5 - public radio from the University of Kansas

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I can't stand the agenda.....so find it hard to listen. There are good shows.......but it's hard to find them.

We used to listen to the Prairie Home Companion.....but it has really gotten stupid.........can't there just be entertainment without the political jabs........we don't listen anymore.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
NPR diehard, here. :)

That's a great idea to volunteer at pledge time, Bob. I don't know about your station but ours has taken a real laid back approach to the drive. I used to dread that week in March and October when it was time. It was just way too much. Now you almost need to be paying close attention to realize it is The Week. In short, it goes kind of like this now: "Hi everyone. It's our pledge drive time. Please support your station with some dollars and here's the number you can call."

That's it. Short, sweet, a bit of special programming which is always a nice change, and we always meet our goal.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Somebody's going to have to remind me again why federal taxpayer dollars go to support radio and television stations. I could see it back when there were few news sources or sources for the arts, but that is hardly the case anymore.

I like classical music; that's why I listen to one of the local classical stations. There's news and commentary everywhere these days. I can't see what niche they are serving that isn't filled in the regular marketplace or how it is so important that we should subsidize it.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We religiously listen to the Sunday Puzzles with Will Short and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me on Saturday afternoons :) I listen to the news in the morning getting ready and try to catch the gardening/cooking segments on Saturdays.

I only turn off during pledge drives. I cannot stand the man who does them.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Somebody's going to have to remind me again why federal taxpayer dollars go to support radio and television stations. I could see it back when there were few news sources or sources for the arts, but that is hardly the case anymore.

I like classical music; that's why I listen to one of the local classical stations. There's news and commentary everywhere these days. I can't see what niche they are serving that isn't filled in the regular marketplace or how it is so important that we should subsidize it.
Robin? Sometimes you just don't get it, do you.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Robin? Sometimes you just don't get it, do you.
Apparently not. I love the pga tour on sirius; that doesn't mean I think you should help pay for it.

You say you're a diehard; I think it's nice that Bob volunteers, but maybe you could actually explain to me why I should be subsidizing the incredibly wealthy Garrison Keillor or the incredibly wealthy Bill Moyers. Sorry, but I'm one of those crazy people who thinks that when you're trillions of dollars in debt, you don't pay for Lake Wobegon.

If it makes you happier to just be snide, then never mind.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well over 50% of the local NPR stations' source of revenue is supplied by listener-members.

maybe you could actually explain to me why I should be subsidizing the incredibly wealthy Garrison Keillor or the incredibly wealthy Bill Moyers.
Incredibly wealthy?

IF surely you don't jest, you're greatly misinformed.

What about 100 MILLION dollar retirement packages for executives of bail-out banks?

If you do not consider the broad spectrum, you have your head up a dark place where light does not enter.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Well over 50% of the local NPR stations' source of revenue is supplied by listener-members.

Incredibly wealthy?

IF surely you don't jest, you're greatly misinformed.

What about 100 MILLION dollar retirement packages for executives of bail-out banks?

If you do not consider the broad spectrum, you have your head up a dark place where light does not enter.

Bob, are you actually trying to argue that the multi-million book selling, album selling, movie appearing, radio show owning Garrison Keillor is not incredibly wealthy? I'm not sure what your standard is, but Keillor qualifies by every standard that doesn't solely include Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

I don't even understand your bank argument. More than 90% of the bank bail-out funds have already been returned to the treasury with interest. Once they do that, my interest in what they pay their exec's extends only so far as it is my business as a shareholder.

As for your broad spectrum comment, by that I assume you mean that's it's such a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things that for the benefit it offers, that it's worth it? What you mean is that it's worth it to you and the tiny fraction of America that listens/watches. As I said earlier, there's nothing on npr or pbs that isn't available in the regular marketplace. To my mind every single penny of taxpayer money should go only to things which the private sector either doesn't do or to things in the Constitution with which the federal govt. is actually charged.

I think it's nice that over 50% of revenue is supplied by members. Make it 100 and enjoy all the classical music you wish with no comment from those who are paying for it.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
When I was in college, I always listened to Car Talk on the weekends that I went home...actually, it was on the Sundays that I drove back. I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore - other than those 12 hour drives from Texas to Kentucky.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I listen to it while on trips. I loved listening to some of the early morning shows on my way to the lake. A few of them had me in stitches. Especially the one where they read headlines and then threw in one that was made up. The listeners called in to guess which one was the made up one.
I have a son that listens almost exclusively to NPR.
However I have no idea why they should be subsidized by the government.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
However I have no idea why they should be subsidized by the government.
Well it might be because they often lean a bit or more than a bit to the Left and Left type radio unlike Right type radio has a hard time making on it's own for some reason.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Listen to NPR quite a bit. I don't really keep track of the shows or anything, but, it is pretty much my default station when I am not playing a CD. In fact, one of the reasons I am getting XM/Sirius radio installed in my truck, is NPR has a couple of choices.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.