Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn on this one. Part of me loves the convenience factor of a Kindle, the idea of literally being able to purchase books within seconds and the portability aspect. I also read a fair amount of hardcover books. I find hardcovers difficult to read, will the Kindle make that any easier?

On the other hand. I love books. Real books. I love to read them, share them, heck-I even love to smell them. ;)

So, do you have one? Have you used one? What do you think?

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I haven't used one, but I would like to be able to try one out before I bought it. What don't you like about hard covers? I'm still like reading a "real book" too - if I want to go back to something it seems so much easier to just page through the book and find it rather than finding something on a computer. I also like to drag my books around (like to the bathroom) and just read a page or two while I'm there - the Kindle would probably still be starting up! Also worry about the availability of what can be put on the Kindle at this point - not sure if what I read would be available. Well - I hope that helped! ;) Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Pat. That does help. :happy: I do most of my reading in bed. Lying on my side. Hardcovers are just not comfortable for me to read that way.

My birthday is in a few days and Mark has been dropping little Kindle hints to me for the past couple weeks. Makes me wonder what my techie-nerd sweetie has in store for me... ;)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
It's an amazing device from what I've read.

I love my paperbacks for traveling (I travel every week for work), hardcovers for home and browsing through bookstores. I don't think I can give that up, yet. Especially browsing through a library or bookstore.

I also have to stare at computer screens constantly, and for me, a book is my escape from that.

I canoe and camp alot and one of my faves is to grab a book,paddle out somewhere and read while gently rocking in the canoe. It wouldn't be the same for me

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Hopefully Charla will see this. She has one and loves it. Vicki had one and liked it, too. :'(

I just like having the real thing in my hand. They also mentioned the Kindle is coming out with a back light for night reading this year, so I would wait for that, if you read in the dark. lol

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I'm torn also and have been debating about it ever since Charla got one. I definitely need to cut down on the number of book around the house so that would help. But then again, I guess I could go to the library as the low tech solution. :whistle:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
zoezoe said:
Hopefully Charla will see this. She has one and loves it. Vicki had one and liked it, too. :'(

I just like having the real thing in my hand. They also mentioned the Kindle is coming out with a back light for night reading this year, so I would wait for that, if you read in the dark. lol
Oh boy, that's what I have been waiting for!! Woohoo! :D Of course, until Bill is working again, any purchase that large is on a back burner. Maybe by the time I can afford it, they will have the backlight one.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I definitely wouldn't get one without a backlight. From what I've seen, most books are available on kindle and for less money than a paperback or hardback. I dunno how I would like it, though. I like having the "real" book though I don't really mind reading e-books.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Kindle and I LOVEIT!!! You can get free samples of books - can order 24/7 and have it delivered in less than 1 minute. As far as the back light - well I was going to wait and see if they upgraded it but decided I have to have a light to read a "real" book so back light is no big deal. Most books are 9.99 or less, there is no clutter factor, you can store about 1,000 books on it. It's one of my most favorite gadgets. The only down side is I can't share books unless I would be willing to share the Kindle, which I'm not gonna do. My advice is - get it you'll love it

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I LOVE my kindle! They're so convenient....especially if you're a freak that sometimes starts several books at a time and then needs to carry them all around with you...lol. I take mine to the gym. The kindle sits nicely on all of the equipment and you don't have to worry about the page turning. Actually, I take it with me everywhere in my purse. It's great for sitting in waiting rooms or waiting for you food to be served at a restaurant. Oh and if you're reading garbage, no one will know!! And there's nothing better than buying a book while you soak in the tub....seriously. Instant gratification.

I have a little clip on light for my kindle that I use while John is asleep in bed. It's perfectly fine, though I'd love a backlight!

The battery life is really long. No complaints there.

Drawbacks - While there is a wide selection of books, every great now and then the kindle won't have something you really, really want.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I just wanted to add that I don't miss books at all. I DO miss bookstores and libraries sometimes though. Sometimes I still browse through bookstores just to get some ideas of what I might want to look for on the kindle.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zoezoe said:
what happens if you drop it in the tub? i read in the tub..........
*zzzzzt* :death: ;)

Thanks folks! :happy: I didn't even thing about the whole gym aspect. I can't read on the cardio equipment 'cause the pages are always flopping around.

I will have to look for the clip on lights.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just realized that I am totally speculating about hubby buying a kindle. :laugh: Just wait, he will probably give me another rice cooker! Or better yet, an external hard drive. LOL

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I don't have one, but I just read the description of it, and I TOTALLY want one. But I cannot even imagine how much money I would spend on books if I got it. I do most of my book buying at second-hand shops, so they're way cheaper than $9.99.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I think I'm sold, I love my books, but in reality I'm running out of room to store them! DH definitely thinks so- he has built me a "few" bookshelves, one wall to wall, ceiling to floor and it is full :whistle: I have started going to the library to save money but want to be able to read newer books sooner then what they come available there. I was afraid I would miss having the book, but I rarely re-read a book and if I really want a copy I could just go buy that one! Is it easy to look books up, as in browse like you would at a book store? Hmmmm

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
MSUlady said:
I don't have one, but I just read the description of it, and I TOTALLY want one. But I cannot even imagine how much money I would spend on books if I got it. I do most of my book buying at second-hand shops, so they're way cheaper than $9.99.
Mostly only the new releases are 9.99. The first books I bought for the Kindle were the Golden Compass books. They were $3.68 a piece.

Di, you can browse through the "bookstore" on your kindle. But the cover art is small and in black and white. I don't like that. I know we're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover but I really want to see the cover art...lol. In addition to the small, black and white cover art you get a description of the book as well as reviews...just like on Amazon. And if you see a book that you think you like, you can d/l a sample for free. It's usually at least the first chapter. I could swear some have been 2 chapters but I might be making that up. I almost always get the sample first and see if it hooks me in or not.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I have one and love it. When I was travelling a lot, I could carry one small item and have literally as many books to read as I wanted. It's like reading paper, no eye strain like a backlit computer screen. My first one went on the blitz about 6 months after I got it (the screen went totally dead), and Amazon had a new one to me in a day for free, completely guaranteed. My entire library of books is on my Amazon account so it was still there when I loaded it to the new device. Great product, awesome customer service. I sound like an ad, but I really think it's totally cool.

And I'm not a complete techno geek. I love books. The paper, the heft, the smell... but not the weight when travelling. And now I read my Kindle at home as well. It's almost exactly like reading a "real" book. Very cool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.