Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in your house is winning? GAH where does all this stuff come from?
I clean and clean and still it's there!! Magazines, books, forms, kid's school stuff, pictures,...do I toss or not toss?

So I move it from one place to another and half the time it ends right back where it started!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I have become clutter tolerant all of a sudden.
As long as it's in neatish and like-item stacks, I can just move along to doing something else I'd rather be doing.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I am a decluttering machine right now. If we're not using it then it goes. I take a garbage bag and open a closet and just start shoving stuff in the bag. Bought new pillows but didn't throw away the old ones cause you never know when you might need one? In the bag. The old telephone that we could use in an emergency? That emergency is never coming so in the bag. Magazines I'm never going to get around to reading? In the bag.

It feels really good.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
NO NO NO!!! I despise clutter!! Therefore, my house is pretty much clutter-free. Well, other than the pile of clean clothes on the bed in the spare room.

My MIL's house is the worst. Her kitchen table and counters are completely covered in clutter. Piles of it everywhere. Papers. Boxes of food. Containers. I can't even go in there. :eek: How does one live like that? *shudder*

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
This is embarrassing, bit 15 years ago the DW and I decided that we had to clean out. Over Memorial Say weekend, we went into the basement. Every item had to be touched and a verdict given. If the verdict was to keep it, the verdict had to be justified. Pretty good Huh! At the end of the weekend there was a stack of boxes (2 or 3 high) from the street, up one side of the driveway, to the garage door (52 feet). Pretty good? Huh!

We committed to repeated the effort every weekend until we had gotten through the whole basement and the rest of the house. (You thought it was pretty good and we were done!!!!!!!!!!!!)

This occurred every weekend up and including the weekend after July 4th of that year. That dear friends is embarrassing and fantastic. Did we feel good.

We committed to doing this annually and have. Never since has it taken more than on weekend and never since have we had the wall of junk get more than a1/4 of the way up the driveway.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We got rid of a lot of stuff before/when we moved. We fit everything, appliances and all, into a 10x15 and a 10x10 storage area while we waited for our house to be completed. We've bought a couple of new things but for the most part, didn't add new stuff to the increased square footage. Thank goodness neither one of us are "collectors". My SIL and BIL are and it's crazy. Every square inch of space is taken up with stuff. I found that when we moved to a bigger house, our clutter decreased because more places had a "home" whereas we were a little cramped for space before. There are still boxes and stuff that I need to go through...stuff I could still probably donate.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
my MIL has enough clutter in her house to cause an organized person, such as myself, a headache. there are baskets and plants stacked everywhere. they have a beautiful 4 season room that only has a single path from the dining room door to the outside door. it just drives me crazy when i go over there because i want to clean up. they have a two car garage that is filled to the top with stuff from garage sales that they don't have room for in the house. it's just ridiculous. DH said she never use to be like that. i absolutely hate clutter and have a garage sale every year just so i can get ride of the excess. if we haven't used it in a year, we don't need it.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heck I even have a few boxes in my closet that are still packed and next month we will have been at our place 10yrs!!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Heck I even have a few boxes in my closet that are still packed and next month we will have been at our place 10yrs!!!
When we moved to our current house, I tried to institute a rule that if a box was unpacked a year after we moved in, that it got thrown away without even bothering to open it to see what it was. It wasn't completely successful but it helped.

The other day I threw away a bag full of old corded phones. Why would we have kept those? Are you ever again going to use a phone with a cord?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
This made me think of my mom, too....even though her house isn't "cluttered" like with day to day stuff, she has an incredible amount of stuff. I swear she went from a 2000 sq foot house to a 4000 and quadrupled her furniture. She has 3 dining room sets, 3 living room sets, 5 bedroom suits, at least 4 or 5 pictures on EVERY wall, and no room is complete without about 6 tables. She has stuff everywhere. Up in her attic I noticed she has about 10 full sized christmas trees, too...lol. The worst of it is she keeps telling me how I'm going to get "this" or "that" once she downgrades...Denny says he is anticipating the antiques bonfire.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I'm still working through a couple of boxes of stuff from our move...7 years ago. But some of that stuff is wedding gifts we didn't register for (really? purple shot glasses?) and crap my in-laws continually dump on me.

What makes me nuts though is the weekly accumulation of paper. The magazines, newpaper, bills...all that crap that accumulates on my kitchen table. makes. me. crazy!

But really nuts - my in-laws house. You would need a straight jacket after walking through that house. They have every toy, book, homework assignment and article of clothing my husband ever owned. He hasn't lived at home for 15 years and his bedroom still has the Graduation Ziggy on the nightstand and the Madonna poster on the wall and all his childhood books in the bookcase. It is sick.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a lot books from when our kids were younger. I hate to part with them but I hate trying to find a place for them.

I have tossed and given away clothes, shoes and toys before. It's getting better but still I could do more.

Right now I am being swallowed by vhs tapes.....

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
YES!!! I hate clutter, but we just don't have the space to have a home for everything right now. We have an island in the kitchen that is a catch-all. It drives me nuts!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I threw a bunch of VHS tapes in the garbage last weekend. We had put them in last summer's garage sale and they'd been in the garage ever since. It's really hard to get Jason to throw things away, but he actually let me toss those.

I grew up in a very cluttered house so I try VERY hard to keep mine clutter-free. Stuff on the kitchen counter-tops makes me twitchy. Since we got rid of our coffee table, our living room has been easy to keep clutterless.

The problem is the kitchen table where the mail and school papers land and our bedroom. When we clean, our bedroom is always last on the list because 'no one sees it' and most of the time we don't ever get to it. Oh and the guest room. The guest room is the landing zone for everything that doesn't have a permanent home yet - presents, new dog beds.... I have to clean it out tonight because my brother and SIL are coming up to visit this weekend.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Right now I am being swallowed by vhs tapes.....
I hope you labeled them. There's no way you can throw away a vhs tape without checking to see what's on it. That's a whole day gone right there.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts