Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One trait of Kayla's that I have noticed in her since she was a puppy is her staring tendancy. She locks eyes with people and stares right into their face. She isn't really being mean, she is sort of studying them. It makes people very uncomfortable though. I was just curious as to whether anyone else out there has a lab that has this tendancy also?

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Yep. Jo did it all the time & if you ignored him, he'd start barking at you to get your attention. I usually answered him with WHAT? which would make him bark even more. :D

Only last night, I was on the computer & could feel these eyes drilling through my back. It was my Pug staring at me. My GSD does it all the time too. I think it's just their way of getting attention & expressing affection.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, when Kayla stares at me, I'll stare back at her smiling and she wags her tail like crazy!! She'll stare at me like that though for a long time. Sometimes, we'll stare at each other and I'll jump at her, she LOVES it and starts butt tucking. It really unnerves other people that don't know her though. I think she is studying them. My dad is one in particular that she does it to. He will be sitting in the living room and she'll walk up to him and just stare at him. I think it's funny, but other people don't like it.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
YES. But it's not to study people, it's because she wants to tell you something. Instead of barking, staring is her way of telling you she needs food, needs to go out, wants attention...all that stuff. ;)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
My girl Cybil was a stare-er. It seems as though every picture I have of hers captured the stare too. She just was always watching to see what our next move was going to be to make sure she didn't miss out on anything. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad to hear about all the other owners of staring dogs!! :) People get intimadated when she does it to them, but she has never used it in a menacing way. It just seems like she does it in the same way as her sniffing. We know it's just part of her!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Lily looks right at you and I think she is just trying to figure out her and your next move. She is too smart for her own good. But I taught the girls "watch me" from the time they were pups. Rhumba just will sit and stare at you. For several minutes. Sometimes I know why, other times I thinks she is just being silly.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Buddy will stare into my eyes, especially when he wants something, or if I am talking to him. Champ, not so much, but a little.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Every time we eat!!! Bud is the worse! Thunder and Simba go lay down somewhere when we tell them to. But Bud, nope, drives my DH C R A Z Y!!!!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Emilu is a dog that won't make eye contact if you are petting her - she deliberatlely looks away as a sign of deference. BUT - if she wants something to eat, or wants to go out, she can stare a hole right though me forever. I'll be sitting watching TV, and realize that she is laying there, ears attentive and just staring, staring , staring at me intensely - willing me to do what she wants me to.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Mine girls do "the stare" if it is time to eat & we get a little past feeding time if we are busy. Also, Molly will come & stand & stare at me if I am on the computer too long & she wants to go outside. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts