Just Labradors banner

Do you feel the AKC/UKC should ban the docking of tails and cropping of ears in certain breeds, ie:

• Yes, tail docking and ear cropping should be banned by the registries

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, docking and cropping are decisions that should be left up to the individual pet owner

• I have no opinion on the matter

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Banned in Europe and Australia as well as several other countries, tail docking and ear cropping happens routinely in several breeds recognized by the AKC and UKC registries.

What are our feelings on this practice? Are we behind the times in that we still allow this to go on? Or are we right for allowing the individual pet owner to decide whether or not to dock/crop their pet.

Do you support legilsation on the matter? Or is banning the practice by the main registries the way to end cropping and docking?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I don't have a problem with it. I prefer doberman and great danes with docked ears, and if I owned one of these breeds, I would dock the ears.

I don't mind breeds that dock tails either.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read an interesting article written by a Dobie handler/breeder/owner who felt that it would actually be dangerous to NOT dock ears on a dobe because that is their signature look and could be deceiving to the general public. He feels that if their ears were floppy, they present a more benign, friendly appearance and people might not be as cautious around them as they are with their ears up.
Not sure if I completely buy that but I do see his point.
I prefer a Boxer with the ears down rather than cropped.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I also don't have a problem with docking and cropping. If some people prefer not to do it, it's their prerogative. But if I had one of those breeds, I most likely would have it done.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It don't know if I support it or not, but I feel it should be the owner's choice. If I had a rottie I'd want a docked tail, but is what I find cosmetically appealing really a good reason to dock a tail? Maybe, maybe not. Still, it should be the owners choice IMO.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I much prefer the oh naturale... I don't think that we have a right to be physically altering body parts for solely aesthetic purposes. Cropping and docking hurts!

I think there's like, one vet in all of southern ontario that will still crop ears, all the others are saying "no", and I say good for them. :)

I would love to see it banned, that would make me very happy. (note the minpin with the natural ears...) ;D

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
I just read an interesting article written by a Dobie handler/breeder/owner who felt that it would actually be dangerous to NOT dock ears on a dobe because that is their signature look and could be deceiving to the general public. He feels that if their ears were floppy, they present a more benign, friendly appearance and people might not be as cautious around them as they are with their ears up.
Not sure if I completely buy that but I do see his point.
I prefer a Boxer with the ears down rather than cropped.
Why is it a good thing for people to be cautious around them? A properly socialized dobe should present no threat, ears up or down!

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I would like to know the reason why docking and cropping became a standard practice in those breeds. There must have been a reason for it besides cosmetic/aesthetic preferences.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I agree. If it WAS soley for cosmetic purposes in the past then why were only some breeds subjected to it, ya know? What made them choose THOSE breeds to dock and crop.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
this is from Wikipedia

Dogs

For the main article on this subject see Docking (dog)

As with other domesticated animals there is a long history of docking the tails of dogs. It is understood to date at least to the Roman empire.

The usual reason for docking dog breeds is to prevent injury to working dogs. For instance, it has been stated that a vermin's bite to the working dog's flop ears can lead to a systemic infection, a serious medical problem that wouldn't occur were there no flop ears to be bitten.

This is contested by a wide range of groups and is often considered a form of cruelty and torture. This has led to the practice being outlawed and made illegal throughout many countries, in some of which dogs are no longer bred for work, or used as working animals.

So mainly it was used as a way to prevent possible injury for working dogs. But if the dog isn't working, then there isn't any point.

Even if they are working, that the missing body parts made them "safer" was never substantiated.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Pretty much the same reason, if they're working then the tails could get in the way, possibly cause injury to the dog, that would have been avoided if they didn't have a tail.

They did it to other working animals as well (horses, etc.)

I think it's outdated, personally.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think ear cropping is ridiculous. I find it incredibly sad that people will hack away at a dogs ears PURELY for cosmetic reasons. I know some people find cropped ears 'attractive' but I think the opposite -- totally unnatural and not pretty at all. :(

As for tail docking, it has its purpose, with working dogs. Working dogs aside, once again it is purely cosmetic and I don't agree with it. If I wanted a traditionally docked breed as a pet I would not support a breeder who docked...luckily due to new laws in this country the practice is now banned with the exception of working dogs. However, if I wanted say a working Springer or Cocker, I would want it docked.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
I think it's really ugly and cruel to crop and dock. It's banned over here. And I would like to see it banned in the rest of the world too.
A dog is born like it's supposed to look. I love a dogs ears and tail. :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Baloo317 said:
I think there's like, one vet in all of southern ontario that will still crop ears, all the others are saying "no", and I say good for them. :)
Actually, ours does it, and I know of at least 3 others in Guelph alone that do, and another 3 in Orangeville and one in Hillsburgh that does also.

Myself, I don't have a problem with docking and cropping.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was reading a thread somewhere a long time ago, we were talking about this same topic. With dogs like Dobies, Rotties, etc. With the work that they do, the tail could get caught and can be snagged onto a bush or something and can snap and break. But, with the tail docked, they don't run that same risk.

I like the looks of cropped and docked breeds. They do the docking so early that the pups aren't likely to remember the experience anyways since they are like infants and human infants don't remember anything bad happening, so I would think it would be the same with a few day old puppies too.

I think they shouldn't of banned it totally because, I think its up to the owner whether they get them cropped or docked or not.

ETA: I don't think its a cosmetic reason, think about it, pull up a picture of a dobie and a black and tan coonhound, put them side by side, they look alike! People could get away with saying their dobie is a coonhound instead of a dobie! So you do run the risk of thinking the dog isn't dangerous, because you wouldn't be able to tell between the two breeds the difference.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
With the work that they do, the tail could get caught and can be snagged onto a bush or something and can snap and break. But, with the tail docked, they don't run that same risk.
With all due respect, and this is a genuine question, what do these two breeds do for work?

For a working Spaniel or HPR breed I can see why docking is a necessity. If anyone has ever watched one of these dogs hunt their tails go at 100mph and frequently get snagged if not docked or taped up.

pull up a picture of a dobie and a black and tan coonhound, put them side by side, they look alike! People could get away with saying their dobie is a coonhound instead of a dobie!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I think ear cropping is ridiculous. I find it incredibly sad that people will hack away at a dogs ears PURELY for cosmetic reasons.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Why screw with what God gave ya? I'm on the rail about the tail (HA! I'm a poet and didn't know it) after reading about the dangers of certain breeds getting the tails snagged. However if it's a breed that tail docking is done soley for cosmetic reasons, I'm absolutely against it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks Trickster, I have been looking into coonhound rescue of the black and tan, some of them that comes in have ears like the dobie, that is why I say people can get away with saying they aren't dobies but coonhounds.

Dobies and Rotties, are police and S&R dogs, rotties were also used as herders, and they still are by some, I've seen it on Breed All About It.

Rotties original purpose wasn't for guard and personal protection but as herders like most guard and livestock guard breeds. They would go out where the shepherds have them go, they ran the risk of getting there tails knocked into something and being broken, that is why they started to dock the tails.

This is from Wiki. "As with other domesticated animals there is a long history of docking the tails of dogs. It is understood to date at least to the Roman empire.

The usual reason for docking dog breeds is to prevent injury to working dogs. For instance, it has been stated that a vermin's bite to the working dog's flop ears can lead to a systemic infection, a serious medical problem that wouldn't occur were there no flop ears to be bitten.

This is contested by a wide range of groups and is often considered a form of cruelty and torture. This has led to the practice being outlawed and made illegal throughout many countries, in some of which dogs are no longer bred for work, or used as working animals."

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think it should be up to the breed club whether or not they allow docking/cropping and up to the breeder whether or not they actually do it. I don't think someone outside the breed should have any say in it. "Banning" something is something that shouldn't be done lightly, whether it's a look or the whole breed. Here in the US we have the right to do many things others don't understand ;)

My jack russells do have docked tails. Terriers are docked so that in a working situation, where the dog is down a hole, the hunter can pull the dog by the tail to assist it back out of the hole. Being that the tail is short and close to the body, the chance of breaking it is lessened a great deal. I don't hunt, so I wouldn't mind my next jrt having a full tail.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts