Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Great Lakes DockDogs club is having an awesome event. It's the Frankenmuth Dog Bowl, May 23-24.

This is supposed to be a super event with agility, weiner races, disc dog, pet parade plus the greatest audience for dockdogs.

If you are anywhere near....Michigan, Ohio, Canada, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin....it would certainly make a great weekend trip.

Registration isn't open yet, but it should in about a month. Here's the link to the event schedule that you will need to watch. When you see the Frankenmuth event listed, I'd jump right on it. I'm sure it will fill up fast.

Anyone who has ever wanted to try dock diving or go see dock diving, this is an awesome opportunity. I sure wish we were closer and could attend!!

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Cool - we are about 2 hours from there. Might be fun. I think Orson could be a dock dog. He is FAST.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool - we are about 2 hours from there. Might be fun. I think Orson could be a dock dog. He is FAST.
That would be so neat! He is, or will be, 6 months old by then, won't he? All he needs to be a dock divin' dog is a good toy drive and drive to retrieve and like water.

There will be people there to help you get in off the dock. They will have open dock practice times so you can try it out. But if you think you might want to enter him in the competition, I'd sure register when it opens. This is supposed to be a very popular event, and it's going to fill up.

Orson, the Dock Dawg! :D

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Oooooh I think Gin would be great at this, Frankenmuth is close here, and there's chicken....mmmm them menonites do some good chicken.

Off to read the site....

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It's about an hour and 20 from me...might need to do it this year....but it may conflict with a UKC hunt test...need to check calendar.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I might have to check my schedule for that and get some training in. Will it be a UKC event too do you know?
Rhumba's sister has a UKC dock diving title and I'd live to see if any of my kids will do it.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might have to check my schedule for that and get some training in. Will it be a UKC event too do you know?
Rhumba's sister has a UKC dock diving title and I'd live to see if any of my kids will do it.
No, DockDogs doesn't do UKC titles. They have their own titles.

I promise you, your dogs will absolutely LOVE IT! We had about 5 new dogs at practice today (all labs). By the time practice was over, all but one was going off the dock. And that one was trying his best....he just needs a little more time.

Find a dock and start jumping! Or better yet, contact the Great Lake DockDogs club to see if there's someone you can work with. They don't have a website yet, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the email of someone to contact.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
If you aren't entered in the contest, can your dog still jump? (and no, that isn't some sort of philisophical question, which I realized that it sounded like after I posted it :) )

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you aren't entered in the contest, can your dog still jump? (and no, that isn't some sort of philisophical question, which I realized that it sounded like after I posted it :) )
Yes. They will have an open dock practice time in-between the waves. Anyone can let they dog try it during those times. All you need to do is sign a waiver of liability. Just a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Occasionally that open dock time is cut short or cut out altogether due to things like dock maintenance, waves running longer than expected, etc.

2. Often there are a LOT of dogs wanting to practice during that time, so the line might be really long and you might only get a short while up on the dock.

I'm not telling you these things to scare you off, but just to let you know so you'll know what to expect. Of course, I've also seen times when the open dock time has only a few dogs and everyone gets plenty of time.

I'd definitely say go give it a try.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts

Find a dock and start jumping! QUOTE]

I live in northern MI and I highly doubt there is anyone actively jumping OH and I am still snow bound so finding a dog is not an option right now LOL
In fact we've got over 2 ft of snow still and just got 12 more fresh inches last night.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Find a dock and start jumping! QUOTE]

I live in northern MI and I highly doubt there is anyone actively jumping OH and I am still snow bound so finding a dog is not an option right now LOL
In fact we've got over 2 ft of snow still and just got 12 more fresh inches last night.
A lot of the clubs up north have indoor facilities where they practice. They use dog spas, scuba diving facilities, large animal physical therapy pools...all kinds of places.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
dog spas, scuba diving facilities, large animal physical therapy pools
don't have any of those where I live i am almost 100% certain. we have lots of water and docks just nothing until we thaw. also not many that let you use their docks. most are private and don't want you on their docks.
i will keep checking though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts