Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of my three, he is the absolute worst retriever. The other two have the ball back to me while he is still thinking "Okay, there goes the ball. What am I supposed to do? Oh yeah, retrieve it. Aww, too late" When I toss a ball or piece of food in the air, Reggie and Blackie can grab it before it hits the ground, often gracefully pirouetting like a ballerina or a platform diver. Ranger, oh well, I just tossed a piece of food at him, he went for it, it bounced off his forehead, then he couldn't find it until I pointed it out. Par for the course. Ranger, Ranger, Ranger. It's a good thing, you're good looking.

Anyone else have a mediocre retriever?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
HaaHaa....you wrote it in such a great way, I can picture him. ;D (bouncing off his forehead........)

Sometimes Tucker's gung-ho, other times lukewarm. Just today, in fact, after we got back from the pond swimming, he wasn't 'in' to retrieving his ball too much. The thought actually went through my mind at the time.....well, he didn't inherit his dad's drive (dad's a SH). But then, I'm not a world-reknowned trainer, either. ;D

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me, I did not embellish for effect. I'm surprised you couldn't hear the boink from here when it bounced off his forehead.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Oh yeah... he loves to get the ball, but has trained me well to retrieve it from him

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Rangermom said:
Believe me, I did not embellish for effect. I'm surprised you couldn't hear the boink from here when it bounced off his forehead.
HAAHAA ;D

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
bearsdad said:
Oh yeah... he loves to get the ball, but has trained me well to retrieve it from him
Almost the same here! I can't get him to retrieve to my hand. He'll bring it back near, and drop it....then I go get it. I'm such a bad trainer ;D

·
Registered
549 Posts
You just described Tally perfectly!!!!

Mischa and I can play catch with a ball. With Tally, She looks at me with the "Fetch it?? Well...,Ah...., Oh, Too late, Mischa got it. Oh well, maybe next time " look.

Tally will run in the field in anticipation of a ball coming just to watch Mischa go get it and run back to me. She may or not follow Mischa as she is bringing the ball back

If I throw food in the air, both Mischa and Copper will catch it, but Tally lets it bounce off her head, fall to the ground and by the time she finds it one of the others have eaten the food.

She may have retriever in her blood, but someone forgot to let her in on it!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
lol..maybe he's like Autumn..she thinks retrieving is stupid..really she retrieved once..I threw it again and she stood next to me, looked up as if to say "what the hell did you do that for I just brought it back?"..never retrieved again. lol corse I'm not convinced she has any retrieve in her.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Boomer is SO hit and miss. I have learned not to throw his bumper into Lake Michigan until I know the water is warm, in case I have to go in and get it myself (which happens often). :eek: He loves to retrieve, if there's nothing better to do. People, birds, fish, food, etc. seem to be far more interesting.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe he's like Autumn..she thinks retrieving is stupid..really she retrieved once
Actually he seems more confused than anything. I think he is concentrating too much on what the other dogs are doing, in addition to me throwing the ball. By the time he figures it out it's too late.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh yea, Bob is horrible. He is more of a ladies man then a jock. He just has no eye mouth coordination. If you throw a treat in the air he jumps while it going up and by the time it gets to him goes over his head cause gravity brings him down.

If you throw a ball or stick anywhere near him he runs the opposite way to avoid it hitting him. Bob Bob Bob!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Yep Ernie.

I have to run after the ball/stick and bring it back for him. ;D
Kassa was amazing.
I wondered if it was because Ernies family didn't retrieve with him.

Kassa at 8 months

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to run after the ball/stick and bring it back for him.
I don't think you got the hang of this retrieving thing Chris. But then again maybe you do. ;)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
:D

Ranger sounds very, very cute to me. ;D

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ranger sounds very, very cute to me.
Connie, he definitely has his cute moments but also his not so cute ones that I don't always post about. He's not a toy sharer, has food issues (with dogs, not me) and definitely asserts his dominance with the other dogs. But all in all he is a good dog and is really bonded to me. He may be a crappy retriever but he always keeps my feet warm at night and doesn't protest a bit when I put my ice cold tootsies under his belly :).

·
Registered
868 Posts
My Great Pyrenees never would catch food being tossed thru the air. It would bounce off her nose and then eventually you would hear this noice like opening a vacuum can. All that saliva and sagging jowl. I miss her precious soul.

My JRT will not try. Treats have to be delivered to her mouth or rolled across the floor for chasing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok, my first reaction when I read your post was to come on here yelling at you...I thought you were serious...sorry. I tend to flip about things like that....ever since I was in my favorite bird store and someone had their Quaker Parrot in to get a wing trim, but was complaining that the bird was basicly no good because it did not talk....Just couldn't believe that the owner thought this bird was only worthy of love if it talked...it was all I could do not to start screaming at the guy. (I have 7 birds, including a quaker...) Anyway glad you were not serious. My Lab does not retrieve much either, will chase and bring a ball back a couple of times, but that is about it....But I do have hope, our 9 month old Australian Shepherd is showing some signs of wanting to retrieve ;D
So...you are not alone!
Debbie

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I have a receiver...perhaps w/potential, with treats. ::)

Ranger, wanna be Zoe's girlfriend? You two would be a hoot together.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
LOL! At least he's good for a laugh right?

Rock isn't much of a retriever. First off -he's very picky. it has to be a ball he WANTS otherwise he 'll run to it then just leave it. If it IS a good ball (and a ball that is good one day is not always good the next) he's more likely to go off, lay down, roll on his back, then sit back and chew.

It's hard for me (at first) as my other dog, Dryf, is a retrieving manic. he's 13 and though he cannot really physically run and get it he wants you to throw the toy in your hand (we just toss it a foot away to keep him happy). He was none stop when he was younger. would retrieve anything and everything until the HUMAN chose to stop! But I've just learned to appreciate the differences between Rocky and Dryf

1 - 20 of 36 Posts