Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if you currently own a gun or guns and/or if you plan on purchasing any in the near future.

I went out shopping today for another handgun. I own a
.22 revolver and a semi-automatic .22 rifle (that I have never fired, it was my dad's). The guys at the gun shop say I should have a .38 for protection as a .22 won't kill a big guy who wants to do me harm quickly enough.

I'm not really scared or worried about crime and the .22 I currently own is used mainly for varmint killing on the farm (the occassional rabid animal, dangerous snakes, rats, etc.)

If push came to shove, Yes, I am absolutely certain I could kill someone as I've had some past incidents where I reacted in a way that leads me to believe I will simply react and do what has to be done.

I am going to take the concealed permit class. I just am not sure about owning the .38. I'm happy with a .22. I am looking at the small derringer pistols to carry concealed.

If you own a gun, could you give me your ideas on having a .22 vs a .38.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I just purchased one, its a 38- Glen would be able to give you some advice on them much better then I. I signed up for class at our local "Gun Club" and will be taking another class for my concealed weapons permit- I'm actually looking forward to spending sometime at the shooting range! : ) Wanted to add that DD also has a 22, and a 38- DS is in the Police Academy so he also has guns : )!! Guess the simple answer to your question is yes!!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i haven't had a .22 since i was 18. i'm afraid i don't own anything smaller than a .357 now. for personal protection i would definitely(personally) want at least a .38.

i also would like to get my concealed weapons permit.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I don't own one but I did have a gun store owner tell me once that if you're looking for something to keep under the bed in case somebody breaks in, that you should get a shotgun. He said that under stress you will shake too much with a handgun and probably won't hit anything. A shotgun just needs to be aimed in the correct general direction.

It always made a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I would go with a 38 if you have any thoughts on ever having to use it for protection.

A case of do as I say, rather than what I do, because my carry handgun is a 32 mag, but ammo is hard to find and far more expensive unless you reload.

My 32 though is depending on the loading, as powerful as a 38 to right near 357 mag power. It also shoots flatter than either which allows hits out to 100 yards to be fairly simple.

Added, I own a dozen guns, most are high power rifles.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Nope. We aren't gun toting peeps up here in Canada. We're peaceful.

My dad owns several guns. I'm trying to convince my mom to sell them. But she will not.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I don't have a gun now, but I would like to get a CCW and a handgun. I'd also like a .22 rifle and/or a shotgun.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I have some. :)

A .38 would work fine......I would not get one that is too small though. They can be harder to shoot and less comnfortable.

Are you going to carry? because if not and size is not the most important issue find a little bigger one and it'll be much more fun to shoot.

Several companies make little revolvers "for women"......besides some of them being pink they are supposed to be ergonomically designed for women.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Nope. If I did buy one it would be something for hunting, not a handgun. I will probably inherit one or two from my Grandfather when my Grandmother passes.

There are plenty of handguns around here already without me adding one :) Good luck on your search Linda.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
We own guns, have concealed carry permits, and are very peaceful. :)
99.99 percent of gun owners are peacable, wish I could say the same thing about folks who own a lot of other things, cars comes to mind right off.;)

I respect the rights of folks who don't want to own them, wish more of them did the same for me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They have cool grips with laser sites, so you can easily hit the target, if hand shaking is an issue. Also, there are ways to hold the gun (closer in to your body) to make hitting the target easier.

I like the shotgun idea as well, but that's a bit hard to conceal ;)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That pink one looks similiar to the smith and wesson I looked at today (but it wasn't pink) I don't want a pink one ;) It was much lighter (weight wise) and more comfortable to hold.)

I like these little derringers, but don't think they'd do much for protection. However, wasn't Abe Lincoln killed by a little derringer?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
My husband has a CHL and 2 guns. One is a Sig....that's all I know...bwahahhaa! Noooo clue what kind. I've shot it a couple of times though and it's louder and scarier than a little 22. The other is some kind of rifle. That's the extent of my gun knowledge. *clapping*

And yes, the gun people told us that we should have something bigger than a 22 for personal protection too. But if you ask me, if someone is firing a gun at me....any gun....I'm going to run away.

I'd personally rather scare someone off or injure them rather than kill them.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I would go with a 38 if you have any thoughts on ever having to use it for protection.

A case of do as I say, rather than what I do, because my carry handgun is a 32 mag, but ammo is hard to find and far more expensive unless you reload.

My 32 though is depending on the loading, as powerful as a 38 to right near 357 mag power. It also shoots flatter than either which allows hits out to 100 yards to be fairly simple.

Added, I own a dozen guns, most are high power rifles.
I have a 32 mag in the rugar single six. It's a nice little gun to pack.

I recently shot the new .325 mag revolver.

It was pretty nice............ it really offers quite a range of ammo, the hotter .325 loads are showing more energy than the 38+P.....and supposed to have less kick. it can shoot all the other .32's as well.......the mag, short, longs etc.

I was thinking about picking one up that my wife can carry with .32 mags and I can carry with .325 mag if needed.

BTW.......about the best (and only) place I find .32 mag shells is cabelas, I have been stocking up but I bet there will be more options as the .325 mag takes off. (if it does)

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I have some. :)

A .38 would work fine......I would not get one that is too small though. They can be harder to shoot and less comnfortable.

Are you going to carry? because if not and size is not the most important issue find a little bigger one and it'll be much more fun to shoot.

Several companies make little revolvers "for women"......besides some of them being pink they are supposed to be ergonomically designed for women.

lmao! i call those barbie guns.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts