Just Labradors banner

Do you let your dog(s) poop or pee or walk on other people's lawns?

• I let my dog(s) poop or pee on other people's lawns.

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I let my dog(s) pee, but not poop on other people's lawns.

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I let my dog(s) walk on other people's lawns, but not poop or pee.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • It depends on whose lawn it is (e.g., only if I know they have a dog).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't let my dog(s) walk on other people's lawns.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I don't walk my dog(s) anywhere near other people's lawns.

Votes: 15 27.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw this discussed on another forum and was wondering what the consensus was here.

(can't figure out how to edit the poll to add another option...)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Where is the option for walk and poop,but not pee?

I let HK walk on other's lawns. Why not? She doesn't damage the lawn by waking on it.
I let her poop, although I would prefer she didn't. I pick up after her.
I do not let her pee. Can't pick it up, and I doubt yellow spot would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I don't let my boyz walk, poop or pee on our neighbours' lawns.

We're fortunate enough to be two houses from the corner, and across the street is a huge park. We don't have sidewalks, so I walk them next to me, on the road, and they know not to potty until they get to the park. If we're walking somewhere where there is a sidewalk, I always make sure they poop/pee on the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street, and poop is ALWAYS picked up.

When we lived at our old house, our front yard was small, and many people let their dog (on a Flexi, or off leash completely) poop on my front lawn (which was *sometimes* picked up) or pee on the bushes that were practically at the front door. There was grass on the other side of the sidewalk that the dog could have pottied on, without watering my front steps. That, to me, is just disrespectful to your neighbours.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I don't have sidewalks here so most of our walking is in the street. I do allow the dogs to walk on the grass sometimes, but most of the neighbors use chemicals on their lawns, so mostly we just keep to the street.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Now let me say all my female dogs never potty on their leash so this is not a problem.

My males could pee on mail box post etc but not lawns. If the grass comes up to the mail box post they were told no. But if the mail box post was surronded by rock or mulch I never saw the harm.

In Vermont we had 1 neighbor that had a mini-creek that cut through the corner of his lawn. It was a natural creek not a landscaped one. My dogs were always allowed to step on his lawn to go down and get a drink of the cold fresh spring fed water. I figured walking did no harm. This water feature was so close to the side walk they could get to it on a 6 foot lead.

At a park, dog park etc all poop is cleaned up immediately. If they poop in the woods or field then I pick it up if it is near the path but if not..I figure bears do it why shouldn't my dog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I do not allow Angel to walk on others lawns. If she really has to pee and is doing the dance i will have her pee between the side walk and curb on the grass. Poop is always picked up everywhere we go.
I wish other dog owners in our neighborhood would respect the poop pick up rule.

Hmmm

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I walk Saba on the sidewalk on the side between me & the street and that's where he does his business, on the grass between the sidewalk and the street. Mind you sometimes he'll "scoot over" to the other side if there is a fence, so he can sniff and pee on it... Not picked up poop bugs me but what really pisses me off is seeing poop on sidewalks... @!**&!_#! seriously.. HOW CAN someone NOT pick it up..?! My dog has manners... he needs a patch of grass to squat.. ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Poop is always picked up everywhere we go.
I wish other dog owners in our neighborhood would respect the poop pick up rule.

Hmmm
Me, too! If you're willing to go to court there is a fine of around $1000 for not picking up after your pooch. We have one neighbor who persists in letting his pooch poop in our yard even though I caught the dog one time and asked him to clean it up which he did that time. Poop on the sidewalk really irritates me, too. Generally Jeb doesn't pee or poop in neighbors yards and I always clean poop up.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
No sidewalks here. If a car is coming in the neighborhood we may move to a lawn but I don't let the girls poop or pee on anyone's lawn. I always have a poop bag for any accidents that may happen.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
No sidewalks around here, and I am fortunate enough to have 10 acres for the dogs to potty on. Very rarely are we ever near someone else's lawn. If we are at a show I always pick up poop, can not do much about pee. At hunt tests I find a far off field or woods and let the kids off leash

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I did NOT vote in the poll because our behavior is not listed.

Puff has 3X for P&P (pee & pooping) -- 6:30 AM, 2 PM and 10 PM.

The early time we drive to a nearby nature preserve, 4 minutes away. Her first poop is within a minute or two of getting out of the car, in areas often walked in by other people or played in by kids. I ALWAYS pick up those poops.

<BTW, I'm disgusted and offended by the many people I see driving into the parking lot, letting their dogs out to poop in the park so they won't have to pick it up at home. I've somtimes fantasied about getting their addresses from their license plates so I could depost a large load of dog poop on their lawns. I'd never do that, of course, because my values and principles are even more strongly opposed to retaliation and getting even -- but it is a pleasant impulse to be denied.>

FWIW, Puff's poops are usually small -- about the total volume of a golf ball -- so we've always used GLAD (brand or generic equivalent) thin film sandwich bags for pickup. Puff usually poops a second time somewhat later on our morning walk and has always gone off the trail, 3 to 6 feet or more into the woods or bushes (for which I consistently praise and reward her) and I've never picked those up since they're like the poops of deer, rabbit, fox, etc.

Around 2 PM she wants to go out and we walk unleashed up and down a section of our street where she sniffs out other pee-mail messages and posts her brief replies on other people's lawns.

I've not previously done anything about these because they're so brief BUT after reading this thread (THANK YOU FOR STARTING IT) I'll now bring along a 2 gallon sprayer and dilute with water the spots she pees on to avoid any possible threat or suspicion of her yellowing grass. Whenever Puff pees on our lawn (which she often does) she's NEVER created ANY yellow spots on our grass. And I've ALWAYS picked up any poops Puff's left on others' lawns and often those from other dogs.

10 PM is the same ritual as 2 PM.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
No, I don't walk on other peoples lawns...BUT I think it's quite a difference here. We have pavements everywhere, people have usually there properties fenced, or a hedge around.... and we have a lot of green areas just outside the door :). (But I pick up poop everywhere we go, except on a field or in the woods)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We live on 70 wooded acres so I have seldom had to walk my dogs in a neighborhood type setting. I actually voted for pee and not poop, thinking that that would do the least harm, but another post made me realize that poop can be picked up, but pee can't! Also, if I lived in a place where alot of people walked their dogs, I really woulnd't want them peeing and pooping in my yard all the time. When we took Emilu to Cape Cod one year, it took her about 3 days to poop at all on our walks. Where my in-laws lived there were many very expensive homes, but the yards weren't all that manicured , lots of woody edges, sand etc. However, Emilu chose the nicest yard in the whole area to poop in - she wouldn't go anywhere else - of course I kept her to the edge, and picked it up, but stilll - there were all those woods like she is used to pooping in, and she chooses the manicured yard. (woudlnt' go in my in-laws yard either - you don't poop in your own yard for heavens sake!)

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
We don't have sidewalks. Just the yard and the street. My boys do not go up into anyone's yards on our walks, but they leave pee mail at every mailbox. No poo stops on walks.
They don't turn my yard yellow when they pee, so I don't think they hurt the neighbors grass with a little pee mail.
I pick poo up at home or on vacation as soon as it is deposited.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Mine are trained to go only on their own yard. A walk is for exercise only and they wait to return to their own yard to go. I don't even have to carry a bag with me. I respect my neighbors and their property too much to let my dogs urinate or defecate on thiir property. There are no sidewalks here, and sometimes people let their dogs go on the strip just outside of my fence. I'm the one who has to weed and mow that area. I resent when people bring their dogs to pee on my fence or mail box. One neighbor regularly brought three large dogs up to my fence to pee, killed my rose bush, then pee on my mail box where I had lilys planted, then to the neighbor's mail box on his impatients. When I asked him not to do that he became very hostile. (There is a wooded aea just as close as my yard. ) Another neighbor brings her dog to pee on my mailbox post every day. I can't help thinking " What a nice way to say Hi neighbor---Why don't you have him pee on your own %#@% mail box!"

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Dozer will poop mid-walk if he has to. He never pees on a walk and usually doesn't poop on a walk, but when he does the #2 I always pick it up. I don't let him walk on other people's lawns at all. On a walk he's always in a heel unless we're on one of the trails and then if he's been good he can earn some "free" time (which means he's got to the end of the leash without pulling).

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
If we walk near our house, I let him poop or pee wherever he wants. It is very wooded and rural. The few houses we do pass are set way back off the road, and none have manicured lawns to the road. Sometimes I pick up the poop and sometimes I don't, it depends on where it is. If it is noticible, I pick it up if it is in deep weeds or the woods I don't. When we walk in town, I always pick up his poop, but only let him poop in parks (never on people's lawns). His pee doesn't turn our grass yellow, so I don't worry too much about it. He always pees in the park, and usually doesn't go again; if he has to I make him pee in the area between the sidewalk and the road. He has never lifted his leg or tried to pee on anything; so while he reads the pee-mail, he has never replied to any.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts