Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so at what age did you let them? Murphy is almost 7 months, but I still have my doubts about it but a few people told me that I should let him be in the yard. One is my neighbor, who has owned dogs all her life, but is not like me. She is the tye of person that makes the high pitch voice and make the dog like 10 times more excited. Thinks its cute when a dog jumps on her and licks her face. I know murphy will get into things if I am gone at work all day, he does when I let him out alone for 5-10 minutes. I figure crating him would be best, because that way he is out with supervision, and someone to tell him what is good and bad. IE chewing the the outside chair cushons, digging, the cover on the bbq, and many other things, not to mention the fence on one side of the yard is barely holding together, so if he gets bored and might find out it comes apart easy (Hey we told the neighbors to let us know when they want to build a new one, but since they just bought that house, and had it rebuilt, they dont have any money pay for half).

So, your thoughts? I know I will have to build him a doghouse, but thats no big deal.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
For me Kassa did at about 18 months and then for short times. I could leave her inside while I quickly went to the shop. Usually though she was in her kennel and run.

Ernie. Never ever.. absolutely never and I doubt if he ever will. Even when I am home he often needs crating.
I like to know they are safe so never leave them unsupervised.

I think you have answered your question.
You know Murphy will get into things if you are gone.
You do what you feel is best. You will know when he is responsible.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I would not recommend leaving a dog alone in the backyard for long periods unattended. Way too risky. As you say, he could get into trouble and dog-knapping is a BIG growing crime. Sadly, Labradors are a popular target for dog thieves.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I don't and never will, because unless I'm out there with Corby & Miranda, they just whine at the back door, which then escalates to sharp barks (Mom! Where are you!!) We have a fenced & private yard, so I'm not worried about dog-nappers, I just can't leave them out because they'd bark & that would not be appropriate in a residential area.

I used to leave my golden, April, and my spaniel, Miranda outside at our rural home when I'd go shopping or whatever (not winter). They had 1/2 acre of Invisible Fencing to play in, and both were used to being outside during the day without me ... they'd just lay on the deck & snooze. We had neighbours whose dogs were tied outside, or loose, and the hamlet we lived in was rural enough that the occasional barking dog was expected.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
never. here, labs (and other dogs) are stolen for medical research all the time- even if the owner is inside for 30 minutes.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I don't have a fenced yard but if I did and hopefully one day I will, I will never leave Tal, or any other dog I might have, out by himself without supervision. With him, I am much more concerned about someone stealing him than anything else.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Trickster said:
I would not recommend leaving a dog alone in the backyard for long periods unattended. Way too risky. As you say, he could get into trouble and dog-knapping is a BIG growing crime. Sadly, Labradors are a popular target for dog thieves.
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Axl and Hogan have the run of our yard during day. We have a small quiet sub and almost every neighbor has a dog or two so they enjoy each others company. Dog napping for animal testing?? Where do you guys live???

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I never do. We have a large fenced in yard in the country but I wouldn't leave them out when we are not home. I worry too much. If someone would open a gate, they could run off, they could dig out maybe or jump it? They never attempt this when we are home but who knows when left alone.
My biggest fear is someone taking them. :(

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
alpenalab said:
Axl and Hogan have the run of our yard during day. We have a small quiet sub and almost every neighbor has a dog or two so they enjoy each others company. Dog napping for animal testing?? Where do you guys live???
The USA. That's where the majority of pets that go missing - "escape from yards" - end up.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I don't even let Henry out in the backyard alone to potty, I'm ALWAYS watching him.

So, to answer your question... I would NEVER leave him outside alone if I weren't home. NEVER.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
NEVER! I would put Shadow on her tie-out to get some fresh aior and watch the world go by, but I could always see her out the window. Even as far out in the country as we are, I would never leave her (or any dog) out alone with no one home, even if we had a fenced yard.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I don't have a fenced in yard, but we spend a lot of time at my sister's house and her yard is fenced, but I never leave Brigetta or Prudence out there alone. Even when my sister's dog and Brigetta are playing by themselves, someone is always on the deck. Brigetta is a bit of an escape artist.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Never. Haylee is always crated whenever we are gone. She is never left alone in the backyard -- unless it is for a quick potty break. Like the others have said, it is too dangerous to leave a dog unattended in the back yard.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Dog napping for animal testing?? Where do you guys live???
No one is safe. It doesn't matter were you live. Even if you live in an affluent neighbourhood don't be fooled into thinking you are immune from crimes such as dog theft. If anything, you are more at risk.

I live in a little country village in the UK and I would never leave my dogs out alone. The area I am in is mostly populated by OAP's but there is still crime. We had an attempted break in once, our car windows have been smashed, neighbours have been burgled, another neighbour was mugged about a year ago and we live in one of the most sought after places in our county...

In our local paper a few weeks ago a black Labrador and a St. Bernard who were left in the garden alone for a potty break were stolen. They were found killed and dumped in someone else's back garden. :(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts