Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
every single year??

The reason I'm asking is I was speaking with my SIL on the weekend. She said her vet said that she could waive the heartworm test next year.

Does that sound right??

I thought this was a test that needed to be done every year before giving heartworm preventative?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I could see them omitting it maybe if you give the preventive all year, but NOT if you stop it over the winter. That's dangerous.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't have a choice, he does it every year.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Our vet does it every 2 years (if the dog is on heartworm preventative year round).

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Let me clarify. My vet does it every two years, as long as you don't stop giving it anytime. If you stop, you have to have the test before starting again, no matter what.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Every year. There's no way for them to be certain you're giving the dog the preventative year-round.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is what I thought. Here we only give it part of the year. I told her it could be dangerous, so she said she'd rather have the test done each year. I just found it odd that the vet would recommend that.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We do twice yearly since Jake donates blood (once at the blood bank, and then I do another in the winter when we get "samples" for free). The American Heartworm Scoiety has great information on what exactly HW meds do and when testing is needed. (If you're interested :) )

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Every year here too. Just did one yesterday. Picked up the package of Revolution, got the heartworm test, another test (my choice) for tick's & lyme etc. diseases (since we go camping up north a lot), plus he had to have his T4 levels checked. Good-bye hard earned $220...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
kelli - yet you don't have heart worm that far north yet - it is creeping up ...

I used to test every other year but then realized I do baseline bloodwork for all our animals annually so combining a hw yest at the same time added only about $10 to the cost - I now test annually - I probably would anyhow given the apparent increase in it recently in my hood lately

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
We're on an alternative prevention program and test yearly. :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
My vet told me every other year since I give it 365 days of the year. I usually bring in a different 3 every year and that way everyone is covered every other year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.