Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you have in it? Now that we are doing more outside of our home, I am thinking that we should carry one, but want to make sure I am thinking of everything I need to put inside one.

Thanks,

Shannon

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Yes. I have one. I may need to update some of the items in it. I have neosporin, benedryl, buffered aspirin, wound wash, hydrogen peroxide, a syringe, some vet wrap, gas x, immodium, and saline eye wash.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far what I have is:
Single use icepack.
tongue depressors
flexable bandage (vetwrap)
tweezers
hydrocortisone cream
triple antibiotic cream
cotton balls
antiseptic wipes
surgical sponges
rubber gloves
q-tips
vet tape
styptic (spelling) pen
saline solution
scissors
hydrogen peroxide
ace bandgae

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
I have one at home that I take with us on vacations, but as far as walks in the parks, etc, I don't carry one. Since it pretty much is the same as our human one, I can use one from the vehicle if something happens. The only real difference between Caleb's and ours is Caleb's has dog booties and a rectal thermometer, and ours has band-aids.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Yes. I have one. I may need to update some of the items in it. I have neosporin, benedryl, buffered aspirin, wound wash, hydrogen peroxide, a syringe, some vet wrap, gas x, immodium, and saline eye wash.
I have the same- + some extra dressings- 4x4, 2x2 etc. and an ear wash- I keep one at home that can travel with us- and one in our camper.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Yes, I have a dog/human one that lives in the car, as my car is wherever I am, basically. ;)

I have:
- vet wrap, three rolls
- different sizes of gauze
- box of varied sizes of bandaids
- hydrogen peroxide
- pedialyte
- saline eye wash
- saline wound flush
- q tips
- miracle dust
- scissors
- tweezers
- a few different sized syringes
- liquid band-aid
- a few cans of dog/cat food (in case I need to lure a stray)
- two extra leashes
- alcohol wipes
- buffered aspirin
- benedryl

I *think* thats it. It's all I can remember at the moment, anyhoo. :)

One thing I did was store it all in a soft sided cooler, so that the insides don't get too hot/cold depending on the season. ;)

Wanted to add, I also keep bowls and bottles of water in the car at all times.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Bruce Fogle's "First Aid for Dogs" is IMO an EXCELLENT resource and should be part of every kit, it's so good I have 2 of them. Paperback from Amazon, about $11 new, as cheap as 25¢ used, + S&H. Clear instructions on how to treat, the urgency of seeing a vet (e.g.: only if, next day, ASAP). It should be part of every dog owner's kit.

"Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook" (by Giffin, Carlson, et al.) also has a worthwhile section on emergency treatment but not as extensive as Fogle's. It is very much worth it for general health care at all ages and stages (puppy → maternity → geriatric) and will save it's price ($25 new) many times over in answering questions you'd ask your vet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts