Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing the same favor for someone so often it becomes sort of expected on their part. After weeks of doing the favor (and you truly do not mind, except for the annoying little twinge that it has now become an "expected" on their part), there is a mild complaint from the requester. You've delivered the same item twice. The requester's world is going to splinter because of it (they think).

Do you:

A) Ignore the complaint and discontinue the favor
B) Choke them with what you delivered to them
C) Tell the requester, "Sorry, bub. Yer on yer own from now on."
D) Say "Really? Well let's see if I can take care of that."

I just hate it when a favor becomes an expected. At least the requester could be tactful about finding fault.

I'm thinking option "A" here, although at first glance option "B" is mighty tempting.

edit to add: Imagine requester being someone like Dweck's "Esteemed Colleague". :-\

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
A) Ignore the complaint and discontinue the favor
B) Choke them with what you delivered to them
C) Tell the requester, "Sorry, bub. Yer on yer own from now on."
D) Say "Really? Well let's see if I can take care of that."
Although I would like to do "B",
since I agreed to do the favor, I'd probably do "D", still wanting to do "B".

Then next time the favor is asked, I'd do "C"

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Definitely A. If they ask why you didn't to it next time, smile politely and tell them you were just doing them a favor before and you were just too busy to do it this time.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Oh, hands down, B. (did that surprise anyone? lol)

But really, I would just literally shrug at the complaint, stare blankly at said person, probably with mouth agape, and then choose option A.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
While B would be more satisfying, I'd go with A. This is why doing a favor rarely works out.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Yes, I hate that too. Unfortunately, my mother has been doing it a lot lately. The only thing I can do is D.
If it were someone else, I guess I'd go with A.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Hmm... I'd have to say:

Option E) Explain to them in a clear, concise, assertive manner how I felt about the situation, and why I feel like my boundaries have been crossed. Let them know that in the future, I don't mind doing favors for them, but it will be on a much more limited scope.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I'd have to go with "A". I would be less apt to continue the favor and/or anything else for that person. I never mind lending a hand or doing a favor. I really don't expect anything in return...that includes the favor becoming an automatic task for me. I guess there is something about "Give a man a fish ,he eats for a day.Teach a man to fish and he's never home ,always out in the boat with his pals,drinking beer,spending hard earned money on trolling motors ,fish finders and lures."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts