Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a lot of running around to od yesterday. I did not take Dakota out for exercise time really they all got jipped yesterday. We had the first day of all doggies being in class. He was a wild man jumping pulling I was not sure of I could home him. I got all stressed out and then he took my lead. He did calm down and did ok in class. Should I tucker him out before class next time.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
We aren't doing any obedience classes at the moment but when we did, yes I exercised them beforehand. It made them much easier to manage. I wouldn't advice anyone to NOT exercise their dogs before class. It makes big difference.

With our gundog classes I don't exercise them beforehand...it keeps them super focused and eager to work. But then, gundog classes are very different to strictly obedience ones.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noted next time he is going to tuckered out before we go. I thought he would do better if he was not tired. I was wrong very very wrong. :)

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
For OBEDIENCE, i skip a meal (as I work with treats in class and it ensures he's nice and hungry). Since classes tend to be during the evening we go for a jog about two hours (or less) before class. Helps alot.

For flyball I do the opposite, NO ACTIVITY before class (all day, no MAJOR activity the night before). As Trickster said it helps.

G

·
Definatly excersize. When the weather was hot here for a few days last month it was so easy, he would just pay attention to me, but then it cooled down again and he is all over the place. Definatly a noticable difference with excersize. I think I am lucky that its almost summertime, because he should be entering his "teenage" phase soon. The heat should slow him down.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I tell you what...I had the same thought with Angus when he was younger. Maybe he needs to be really tired. The day before he took the CGC that same evening, Kevin came home early and wore his little can out. :D To the lake, to the old neighborhood, a couple solid hours of exercise. We thought surely this would work. 8)

But what happened instead was, he became like a tired, cranky little baby who needs a nap. ::) He jumped on the evaluator and mouthed her arms, flipped upside down and did the alligator death roll when I tried to adjust his collar, couldn't sit still for greeting another dog, and pulled at the leash like a sled dog for the loose leash walking. :-\

I have also found that he does better (has better focus) when he's fresh at a show. Too much exposure, too much walking around, and I cannot keep him with me. If he's fresh, he's focused on me with laser attention.

Your experience may vary :D Just wanted to relate those stories. You could certainly try it and see what happens! I know it seems to work for others. Age probably has a lot to do with it.

Certainly some exercise would be good - I guess what I am saying is, you can go too far in the other direction too!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
When we were in obed class, I always exercised Tal a little before we went. He was easier to control and calmer. I did like Paddysmom the first class and man was Tal hyper so I had the same experience. After that I exercised him for maybe 30 minutes or so then we went to class. That seemed to work best

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
My obedience class is 1.5 hours away from my home and I have to leave work 1/2 hour early on that day just to get there. I get home leave the car door open and let Emilu out of her kennel. She jumps into the car (no pottying - she takes forever to potty) and off we go. After we drive for about an hour, I stop at a gas station (The Cool Spot) and I go, then I take her for a walk on the grounds and she goes. We get to class and I try to run her on leash a little to get some energy off her. She also doesnt' get fed until she gets home around 10pm. Last night I went to a second class and we didn't get home till 11pm. Poor girl! Poor me!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
When I took Duke to obedience classes I swam him for 45 minutes before, or we played fetch. I've always had high energy dogs and had to wear them out before class/competing or I might as well not take them in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts