Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
your hopes and dreams and stuff like that? I know he cannot understand it but I know he does understand the tone of voice as something good and hopefully it communicates he is important to me.

·
Registered
870 Posts
All the time. My furkids are my best friends, you can tell them anything, cry on their shoulders, laugh with and at them. They have gotten me through the worst of times and the best of times. Maybe they don't understand the words but they know....

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Are you kidding!

I jabber on and on like an idiot when it's just me and the babies at home! We (umm.. I?) talk about the weather, about our neighbours, about family, friends, school, and of course the big house by the water that we're gonna live in someday, the agency that mommy's gonna run someday that they're all gonna help me with... :p

I think they just appreciate the attention and communication, my furkids love being involved in anything and everything that they can be! ;D ;D ::)

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Yup.

Molly especially likes when I tell her what a good girl she is, and how much I love her.

If I cry, they don't judge me they just cuddle up in my lap and let me pet them.
If I'm happy, they wag their tails and are happy because I am.
If I'm angry they know, and they come over and give me sweet labby kisses

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I told Bear all that stuff.

Gabs is um, not so good at the listening yet. She tends to wander off. ::)

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
We talk to ours about everything. We always tell Sam the story of how he was picked out, how he was playing with his brothers and sisters, how happy we were to get him, etc. Sam really listens to us, but Bodie doesn't listen too much so he doesn't get as many stories. With Sam, it's like he's trying to understand every word. :)

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
You're kidding, right? :) I've carried on conversations with all my Labs. I swear, they knew what I was saying just by their reactions. At a little over 9 months, Caleb is answering me, too.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
All the time! Just last night I was walking by the bedroom, Brigetta was laying on the bed, she looked so sweet, I had to go in and have a little talk with her.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I talk to Shadow all the time! I even told her all about her tumor, and that the vet was going to make her better, and I know she understood me. :)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have always talked to my dogs and I've talked about everything. Lorri will carry on conversations when she's cooking. The girls lie on the rug in the kitchen listening to Lorri, absorbing every cooking instruction and recipe.

Quite often I think Lor is talking to me and when I ask, I find that I wasn't the focus of her conversation.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I talk to Tal all the time and what prompted my question was I was talking to him and telling what a good boy he is on our walk the other day. Someone looked at me like man have you lost your mind you are talkking to a dog! I didn't care..I kept right on talking.

I was telling Tal last night something about my day yesterday and he just started givin me that signature labby kiss. It was like he was glad I had confidence in him to confide in him..:)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I don't know if I ever have serious conversations with the boys, but I definitely talk to them a lot. OK, non-stop. :D Poor Kevin. I feel so sorry for him, having married a crazy dog lady. :p

I usually talk to them about whatever I'm doing. If I'm cooking for example, I'll tell them about each ingredient and ask if they like it. If it's something they can try, I'll let them have a bite. Then I'll tell them why it is healthy for them. ::) :p

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I talk to Theo all the time. When SU is out of town and there's something I'm really worried about, I think out loud to him, the same way I would if she was home. It's really helpful!

labs4life said:
Quite often I think Lor is talking to me and when I ask, I find that I wasn't the focus of her conversation.
Fairly frequently I'll ask SU "What did you say?" and she'll respond, "I wasn't talking to *you*." :D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
HAHA! Nathan, we do that too! "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Angus." :D

Sam really listens to us, but Bodie doesn't listen too much so he doesn't get as many stories. With Sam, it's like he's trying to understand every word.
Awww! That made me smile. :angel:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
my husband and i got furkins instead of having kids. they are much better behaved and we won't ever go through the terrible two's or teens with them (although with cinder being 4, she's still a pain in the butt sometimes). they follow me everywhere because i was their support system from the early days and i will sit down and have a good monthly cry with them and they cuddle around me and lend me their fur or i can tell them about a rough day at work. they are the best form of comfort for me.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I talk to my dogs like people and I swear people think I am nuts. I probably am nuts. Sometimes I don't realise I am doing it in public and get some funny looks. Then I think, "Could I care less?" and answer is "no". I love talking to my babies!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great replies...and it reminds me of once when a few friends were here and one of them said, rather rudely, get that dog outta this room...my response? Hey...he lives here..it is his house and no one forced you to come here.

It wasn't even that he was afraid of dogs or had some kind of allergy or something like that. He was being just plain rude.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I talk to Boomer all the time. Nick will sometimes ask me "are you talking to me or him?" ;D

Alot of times I will just lay down with him and whisper in his ears about how soft his ears are, how much I love him and how he stinks so bad but we still love him. I tell him that it's a good thing he's cute. ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts