Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats all and thats how I feel sometimes.

I love my job, just wish I got some of the glory that I work on. Thats all. :( :p

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Most of my job is thankless.

Only other mechanical designers can appreciate what I do. Accounting thinks we take to long, cost to much and are an unnecessary expense. The CEO couldn't find his ass with both hands and a map.Naturally he overcomes his shortcomings by treating everyone like they are morons.
Other than that it's all glory here.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glory??

I am just thrilled when I can duck quick when the sh*t hits the fan.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
as a teacher, i hardly have any parents that thank me for making education fun for their kids but when i do something wrong, they are the first on the phone to rip me a new one. some years are better then others but i'm glad that we have a teacher appreciation week. the parents don't do anything special for us but PTA makes us feel special. hope you feel better about your job soon.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Actually no. My boss is great about recognition. If you are a big producer (over 100%) you are always recognized at the sales meetings. Yes, I am a glory hound. I also give credit where it's due also.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Since you got this job, you've talked a lot about all the compliments your boss has given you, about how they were lucky to hire you, you doing a great job...

That's glory.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My boss is a really great person, and rewards me with bonuses and tells me that I go "above and beyond". I LOVE my Job!

;D

Sorry your getting no glory Sam. :-\

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Melissa said:
Since you got this job, you've talked a lot about all the compliments your boss has given you, about how they were lucky to hire you, you doing a great job...

That's glory.
Yeah my boss is happy I am here. Because I do everything she doesn't want to do and when it comes down to it. She gets the GOOD JOB from the BIG BOSSES. I am just little old assistant that sits in the corner. (HELLO FROM THE CORNER)

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
You're an assistant. Most of the time we (I'm an assistant too), don't get a whole lot of "glory".
But when I do a good job, I get a "Thank you", or a "Good work"....and knowing that I do my job well is good enough for me.
That's why I'm going to school, so I can move on up.
If you're not happy with getting any glory, it doesn't sound like that's the job for you.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kimmers said:
You're an assistant. Most of the time we (I'm an assistant too), don't get a whole lot of "glory".
But when I do a good job, I get a "Thank you", or a "Good work"....and knowing that I do my job well is good enough for me.
That's why I'm going to school, so I can move on up.
If you're not happy with getting any glory, it doesn't sound like that's the job for you.
Well with what I do I can move up and get the glory. IT might not be here at this office but with what I do I can move up for sure. I could be what my boss is. But I can get all the experience I need while workin here. IF we grow I will move up and get the glory. Its just going to take a lttle time. And I can handle that.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Let's see, when I was 22, I was working for a very small ad agency. The art director was addicted to cocaine. As such, he was prone to terrible mood swings. During these mood swings, he would call me names that I don't even care to repeat here. Often he would have these outbursts in front of clients, adding an audience to my humiliation. But the next day might be a "good" day...on those days, he would leer at me and make comments that qualified as sexual harrassment. And then there were the days he would spend outlining every reason, in painful detail, why I would never be a successful designer. Not fast enough, not creative enough, on and on, squashing my dreams with gleeful abandon.

Every day I would barely make it to my car before I would start to cry. I would cry all the way home. And the next day, I would get up and go back again. Why? Because this was the only way for me to get a foot in the door. I wasn't connected, my family wasn't connected, so it came down to perserverance. I had to stick it out long enough to get something on my resume that could be parlayed into something else.

Why am I telling you this "I used to walk to school in blizzards" kind of story? :D You are so young, Sam! Your time will come - but it doesn't come overnight. You are in "paying your dues" land right now. ;) I just wanted to help you count your blessings that you are not being screamed at or sexually harrassed all day!

The good thing about coming up through the ranks the way I did is that it makes you TRULY appreciate it when you finally get there. I dare say I have a much deeper, richer appreciation for where I am than anyone else here. I really don't think that's an overstatement. 8)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AngusFangus said:
Why am I telling you this "I used to walk to school in blizzards" kind of story? :D You are so young, Sam! Your time will come - but it doesn't come overnight. You are in "paying your dues" land right now. ;) I just wanted to help you count your blessings that you are not being screamed at or sexually harrassed all day!
Yeah I know, I am waiting for that day. I know it will take time trust me I have been doing this job since I was 20 and I am now 23 and I know more then a lot of people that have been doing my job for way longer. I just know if I stick it out for a couple more years I will move up with no problem. So I await patiently for the big day to come.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Tater said:
Because I do everything she doesn't want to do and when it comes down to it. She gets the GOOD JOB from the BIG BOSSES. I am just little old assistant that sits in the corner. (HELLO FROM THE CORNER)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what your job is?? LOL

I am an assistant. I have an assistant as well. I make her do all the stuff I don't want to do. Cause that's what she's here for. ;D

<waves to Sam in the corner>

Okay, seriously though, just bide your time. You'll get yours. Remember all those times I was all "quit it with the boring posts" and go ask for other stuff to do? You just covered that here:

Tater said:
Well with what I do I can move up and get the glory. IT might not be here at this office but with what I do I can move up for sure. I could be what my boss is. But I can get all the experience I need while workin here. IF we grow I will move up and get the glory. Its just going to take a lttle time. And I can handle that.
Soak it all up like a sponge so you can move ahead and be the person who gives the girl in the corner all the stuff she doesn't want to do.

At the end of the day what is glory anyways? As long as you know in your heart of hearts you put your best effort forward and did the best job you can do, who cares what glory you get.

And like Melissa said, you have been getting some glory.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
AngusFangus said:
Let's see, when I was 22, I was working for a very small ad agency. The art director was addicted to cocaine. As such, he was prone to terrible mood swings. During these mood swings, he would call me names that I don't even care to repeat here. Often he would have these outbursts in front of clients, adding an audience to my humiliation. But the next day might be a "good" day...on those days, he would leer at me and make comments that qualified as sexual harrassment.

Every day I would barely make it to my car before I would start to cry. I would cry all the way home. And the next day, I would get up and go back again. Why? Because this was the only way for me to get a foot in the door. I wasn't connected, my family wasn't connected, so it came down to perserverance. I had to stick it out long enough to get something on my resume that could be parlayed into something else.

The good thing about coming up through the ranks the way I did is that it makes you TRULY appreciate it when you finally get there. I dare say I have a much deeper, richer appreciation for where I am than anyone else here. I really don't think that's an overstatement. 8)

Very nicely worded. I always shy away from telling people it's part of paying dues. I kid around about not being appreciated and all, but the reality is, my last two jobs my employers came looking for me. I was not hired by sending out my resume, but by word of mouth. I guess that says something about paying dues.

I'm sorry your start to the career was so terrible. I couldn't imagine working under those conditions. Thats paying dues with compounded interest.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now for my serious answer-

I am in a business I have been in a long time. It is service based and I have spent years climing the ladder. Actually did it twice since I did the mommy track and had to start back at entry level at 34.

Glory for me is pretty much internal. Yes, I have a boss who values me and I work for a company that is pretty good at recognizing achievement both formally and informally and also has a phenomenal bonus system. But - all that for me is a sideshow to the kind of gratification I can get from delivering a really great service experience to my customers and having them recognize it. When a problem lands at my feet it is usually bad and I usually have a really unhappy, angry person to deal with. I excel in those situations and will work my butt off to fix things equitably and put a smile on their face. Those are the times I feel that what I do is valuable --- not so much when my boss thanks me but when a customer decides to stay with us due to something I have done.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Not usually, but today I did. :) It's nice to hear once in awhile, but I can't stand to hear it very often...I never know what to say. I just want to do my work!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Hijack, sorry :-[

Janna, I never know what to say either :-[ It really embarrasses me! I love it, of course... :D But I just get flustered and embarrassed!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts