Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying really hard to eat better and drop some weight. I got a bottle of the V8 V-Fusion Cranberry/Blackberry today. Never drank any of these products before. It's pretty good, very very RED, and contains a full serving of fruit and vegetable :)

If you drink these, what other flavors are good. I almost picked up the Strawberry/Banana flavor but switched last minute.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My husband likes the Pomegranate/Blueberry.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
You'd be better off drinking water and eating fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to avoid processed foods - they're expensive and are a poor substitute for the real thing.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is 100% juice.

And I do drink lots of water, and eat lots of veggies and fruits.

Just trying to have something else on hand at work so I don't drink Coke. ;)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
My understanding was the V8 fruit juices were still fairly high in calories??? Having said that, 100% juice should always be a better choice then a Coke.

I keep a 6-pack of the spicy V8 tomato juice in the fridge and have one every couple of weeks. Yum!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I usually have a small can of the v8 veggie juice at work- not a sweet juice fan so don't know about those.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I love the regular V8 juice. The low sodium stuff though is awful. I also like carrot juice, whether store bought (Bolthouse Farms makes some really good juice drinks) or juiced out of my own juicer. Some of the Bolthouse fruit juices are awesome, somewhat high calorie but like you say better than a Coke (or in my case Rum and Coke).

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
You'd be better off drinking water and eating fresh fruits and vegetables. Try to avoid processed foods - they're expensive and are a poor substitute for the real thing.
What Cam said. There's still a lot of sugar in the V8 blends. I tried them, too as I hate regular V8.
I liked the blends.

With 100% fruit juice you still can build up the level of sugar by using concentrated fruit juice or grape juice concentrate. That's why the not from concentrate juices are better.

Having said that-V8 fruit juice blend is better than Coke. Have you tried cold water in a stainless steel container? I don't like drinking plain water myself, but I find it easier to drink if it's cold.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I bought a juicer and it was the best $100 I ever spent! I love that strawberries are coming into season and I can start juicing fresh fruit again! Way better than V8 and you can do as little as you want. I highly recommend it and mixing some of the veggies w/ the fruits. My husband had no idea I had juiced spinach and carrots w/ the blackberries last summer.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
This.

There is none of ther fiber or nutrition as in the whole, fresh fruits & vegetables but all of the sugar (naturally occurring is still sugar). "juice", even 100% is dtill highly processed.

By the time they are done with it there is almost zero nutritional value left, so they add supplementation. Your body does not process it anywhere near fresh, juiced-at-home juice with pulp and peel.

"100% juice" is not healthy, it's hype.

Kudos to you for wanting to make positive changes!

I like my water ice cold too. Sometimes I slice lemon & lime & toss a few of each im my water bottle for a change.

Whole leaf teas, green, rooibos, etc are good too.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I've been drinking the "classic" V8 since I was able to walk. My Unkie introduced it to me, and I think of him every time I have it. For me, it's a great for in between meals since I need something in my stomach every couple of hours.

Anything other than the original is not V8 to me. LOL

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I drink low sodium v8. Just the tomato though, not the fruit blends, there is way too much sugar in those. The spicy v8 makes a good bloody mary.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OK, ever since I replied to this thread, I can think of nothing else. I want a V8!!!! :smash:

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I hate v8. All sludgy and bleh. If I want tomatoes, I want them warm and simmering in a soup bowl. Or steaming over some pasta. Or even fresh-sliced on a salad. Not cold and gross in a glass.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
This.

There is none of ther fiber or nutrition as in the whole, fresh fruits & vegetables but all of the sugar (naturally occurring is still sugar). "juice", even 100% is dtill highly processed.

By the time they are done with it there is almost zero nutritional value left, so they add supplementation. Your body does not process it anywhere near fresh, juiced-at-home juice with pulp and peel.

"100% juice" is not healthy, it's hype.

Kudos to you for wanting to make positive changes!

I like my water ice cold too. Sometimes I slice lemon & lime & toss a few of each im my water bottle for a change.

Whole leaf teas, green, rooibos, etc are good too.
I will add sliced cucumbers and sliced oranges to my water. They also add a bit of a nice refreshing flavor to water.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
If I want tomatoes, I want them warm and simmering in a soup bowl. Or steaming over some pasta. Or even fresh-sliced on a salad. Not cold and gross in a glass.
Are you nuts? Fresh picked Jersey tomato, sliced and smothered in salt and pepper. Mmmmm.....

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
You'd be better off juicing fruits and veggies yourself, that way it is unpasteurized and you can use the pulp in cooking.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Are you nuts? Fresh picked Jersey tomato, sliced and smothered in salt and pepper. Mmmmm.....
Jersey tomatoes haven't tasted like Jersey tomatoes in a long time. Something to do w/chemical additives to make them more shippable. I read somewhere, though, where they're after a solution to return them to their former glory. (((off to google)))

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I will add sliced cucumbers and sliced oranges to my water. They also add a bit of a nice refreshing flavor to water.
Mmmmm . . . I love water with slices of orange.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts