Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we love them too much? :confused:

I am giving you some background as this has been on our minds lately!

My husband and I don't have any human kids, we would love to but cant. After a miscarriage in 2005 we decided to make another addition to our four legged family. We already had a foxterrier of 12 years at that stage and decided on a beautiful yellow lab.

We were fortunately working on a Game Farm and was able to give little Joey all the attention he needed day and night. Since we brought him home as a 8 week old pup, he has been by my side 24/7. He went on game drives with us slept by my feet in the office and helped out at the restaurant when mommy was there, he even patrolled the chalets and laundry with us. We taught him to ride with us on the quad bike and he still does (all 98 pounds of him) He was crated next to our bed at night and later on when he was house trained,we took away the crated and he decided that our bed also makes a very nice place for him to sleep at night.

When Joey was 6 months old we rescued a border collie pup (3 months) and these two instantly became best friends.

We moved to Cape Town last year and we were fortunate enough that they could still be with us at work!

But now I am starting a new job where they wont be able to be with me at work. Do you think this will be an issue for them. We have left them alone at home for the whole day, and they are mischievous - did holes, destroy my plants and irrigation, but they have done this while we were home as well.

I must admit that they are very spoilt. Joey wakes up at 3 AM and wiggles his way onto our bed and sleeps in the middle of us.

I would love your comments on this :happy:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I understand your concerns, I don't know if I can give an objective opinion though.

We have tried for kids for years and after a miscarriage was finally told it just wasn't possible for me to carry. When we bought a house we decided to get a dog because my husband grew up with out any pets at all and always wanted a dog. Said that they would never get treated like children because they are not kids...yadda yadda yadda. Yeah right. He's the biggest softy of them all. Makes me buy my own christmas presents for them so he can buy them presents to and we would be surprised by each others gifts. He now even tells people after Rebel that we have been fixed, no more fur kids. :laugh:

We love them, spoil them and probley treat them more like humans than we should. I think the only danger is if it's still possible to bring a child into the house...that some folks that do treat their pups like kids then do the opposite and ignore them...even so deciding get rid of the "dog" because now it's a nuisance. At least that is what I have seen from some folks. (nobody here on this board!)

I am sure some of the professionals will have some interesting views and good advice on this.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I suggest bringing back the crates, and start getting them used to being in them for periods of time. When you go to work, they go in the crates. Give them a stuffed, frozen Kong to occupy them part of the time. They will adjust and be fine - and much safer than if they were left out to their own designs!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
AmazonGold said:
I suggest bringing back the crates, and start getting them used to being in them for periods of time. When you go to work, they go in the crates. Give them a stuffed, frozen Kong to occupy them part of the time. They will adjust and be fine - and much safer than if they were left out to their own designs!
I agree with Jackie. :happy:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts