Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some footage from that last episode of the Bachelor (I think they were outtakes?), and it really got me to thinking. That guy was boohooing "like a girl." Not choked up, not teary, not emotional. He was crying and literally sobbing.

I'm a wedding and event videographer, so I go to a LOT of weddings, rehearsal dinners, receptions, etc. And I can absolutely, positively say that if someone is going to cry at a wedding, it's going to be the mother of the groom and the groom! Sure, sometimes brides cry, bridesmaids, etc. But the vast majority of the time, it's the guys. They cry during the vows and during the toasts.

And you're always seeing guys cry on the news....whether it's because a tornado blew away their house, or the jocks when they retire, get traded, or some news anchor, etc.

Now, this is my question, and I think maybe it's a question for only us oldie goldies. Do any of y'all remember guys crying like this back when we were young? I sure don't. Do you think men are more "in touch with their emotions" today?

I'm not saying it's wrong or bad for men to cry. It's fine...it's wonderful...it's absolutely terrific.

I asked my husband (who wouldn't shed a tear if his life depended on it) what he thought about all the men crying. He said he didn't necessarily think men cried more and more easily now days, but that it's just plastered all over the TV, movies, internet, etc., so we see it more than we did 40-50 years ago.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I don't know, but you are right--it seems that more and more men are crying on TV etc. Since I am older than dirt--I don't ever remember seeing men cry when I was young. Men just didn't cry.
Now a few tears can be sexy, but blubbering--not so much.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I teared up a little during our marriage ceremony; my wife did not.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My husband is a "real man" - carpenter / construction, drinks beer, etc., and he cried when both of our dogs died, as well as Yoshi. Oh, not to mention when his father passed away! But our wedding, no.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I think it's way more common than it used to be. That guy who cries because the tornado killed his house would never have cried in front of people 30 years ago.

I don't mind guys crying unless it's something really stupid like on The Amazing Race a couple of weeks ago when the Asian guy blubbered like a baby cause he got he and his sister lost. Sorry buddy but you just became a girl.

Weddings, funerals, your team won the Super Bowl, Old Yellar, totally acceptable and manly.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I don't mind guys crying unless it's something really stupid like on The Amazing Race a couple of weeks ago when the Asian guy blubbered like a baby cause he got he and his sister lost. Sorry buddy but you just became a girl.

Uh, crying on a "reality show" is called acting - it's in the script.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
my ex did this too..... it should have been me and I should have been wailing. LOL

I was doing ok until I looked over and saw my grandmother crying.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Uh, crying on a "reality show" is called acting - it's in the script.
Did you see it? This wasn't acting. Total blubbering so hard he couldn't speak. Meryl Streep couldn't have pulled that off.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
T.O.: "He's my quarterback, man...."

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I'll bet Tudor holds the record for being the #1 male crier in the entire universe. Over a vast array of situations! The death of a pet, a perfectly executed gymnastic move, an exquisite piece of music, the sound of an angelic Welsh tenor, TV ads with dogs and cats in the pound (those really tear him up), phenomenon in nature, a kindness shown to him... if it moves him I can guarantee there will be at LEAST a tear or two. :)

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I teared up a little during our marriage ceremony; my wife did not.
As I said, a few tears can be sexy-- total breakdown, blubbering, not so much.
My SU didn't cry at our wedding, but he did tear up a little at our son's wedding. And he cried when we had to put our Eskie, Abby, down. But they were manly tears, not sobbing and blubbering.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I agree with your husband. We just didn't have so much of it on TV back then. I don't think I ever saw my Dad cry when I was growing up. My husband I saw cry twice in 12 years. Once when we were at his Uncle's funeral and when his dog died. He really cried then.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I have never seen my husband cry, and I've known him for over 20 years. He told me that he cried at a memorial service for his grandpa (I went with him to the funeral but couldn't go to this service), and that was about 9 years ago. He said he teared up when Darby was born, and that he almost cries when he looks at her pictures when he's at work because he loves her so much. I'm sure he'll cry when when we lose a dog, but he swears that's never going to happen.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I didn't cry at our wedding. Neither did Eileen. In serving as accompanist for hundreds of weddings, I've got to say that it's more the brides I see with the waterworks. Particularly at vow-time.....

All that aside, I cried buckets over the loss of my father, as you all well know.

I can only remember seeing HIM cry 2x in my entire life. Once was when *his* father (my Pop-Pop) passed away, and even that was months later when his mother gave him his dad's watch as a Christmas gift (and even that was kind of a hidden cry when he was in the kitchen and didn't know I was coming in).

The second was at the passing of his beloved Basset Hound, when he openly cried a river.

Heck, I still cry at It's a Wonderful Life, even having seen it a zillion times. ("To my big brother George! The richest man in town!")

ulp

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I've seen Jason cry four times. He cried when his grandfather passed away, he cried when Jake and Brandon were both in the NICU as newborns, and he cried when our daughter passed away. He also gets teary-eyed (but not full crying) whenever he hears the Star Spangled Banner - I do the same.

My dad cried when my grandmother passed away, when I got married and left home, when our daughter passed away, and when Brandon was in the NICU (the doctors and nurses really weren't confident he was going to make it - they were really preparing us for the worst).

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I'll bet Tudor holds the record for being the #1 male crier in the entire universe. Over a vast array of situations! The death of a pet, a perfectly executed gymnastic move, an exquisite piece of music, the sound of an angelic Welsh tenor, TV ads with dogs and cats in the pound (those really tear him up), phenomenon in nature, a kindness shown to him... if it moves him I can guarantee there will be at LEAST a tear or two. :)
I find that kind of emotion sexy and incredibly endearing. Blubbering and boohooing, though, not. I know of one time when Bill actually cried, that was when we lost Shadow. There have been a few other times when he's teared up but 'contained himself.'

1 - 20 of 54 Posts