Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Husband saw our chocolate puppy today and he said that the color of his fur is changing.

The pup has lighter brown patches on him.

Is this normal?

I won't see pictures until tomorrow, but this sounds pretty strange to me.

Does this have to do with losing puppy fur?

I'm 100% positive he's purebred, I've seen the parents and my husband knows and works with the breeders, and they are trustworthy. There is AKC paperwork also.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
aliie's mom- in case your concerns aren't that your puppy is a dalmation- let me add this- we got our female chocolate puppy 5 weeks ago- she was 10 weeks old at the time- she had a light medium chocolate coat, but the outer "guard-hairs"- the longer ones on her back and sides were very dark chocolate. She looked kind of "two-toned." I was like- hmmmmmm. But......in the last 5 weeks- she has developed a gorgeous, silky, all-over deep dark chocolate coat. I think maybe they grow into it.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
DalmatiAn, there is no O in Dalmatian. ;)

Yes dogs can change color a bit depending on the season. My dark yellow boy is lighter in the summer than he is in the winter due to undercoat.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Lexismom has a choc...Lexi. We saw her over the weekend and she was lighter in color than when we saw her at Christmas time.
Deb said she loves to bake in the sun in the front yard.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
The patches of coat might be his undercoat. The undercoat is usually a lighter, rusty color. As he is only 4 weeks old maybe he hasn't developed his full coat yet?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
Lexismom has a choc...Lexi. We saw her over the weekend and she was lighter in color than when we saw her at Christmas time.
Deb said she loves to bake in the sun in the front yard.
When I got my chocolate, Lexi (she's a rescue) she had been a stray in Louisiana. The rescue told me that chocolate labs coats, sort of like a burnette's hair, will get lighter when they spend alot of time outside, especially in the sun.

Like Susan said, with the warmer weather & my working from home now, Lexi is spending more time outside during the day. I'll often find her sprawled out in the lawn sleeping in the sun, which is make her coat lighten up.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Where are the lighter patches? Yes chocolates do change shades (usually in the summer) but a 4 wk olf pup should'n't be changing too drastically. Pups can have lighter patches around their legs and eyebrows (like a rottie) or have splashes...both of these are called mismarks and aren't really common. Show us some pics of the adorable baby and we can help more :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I can see a noticeable difference in the colors of Shiner's undercoat and topcoat when she is shedding and needs to be brushed. Could it be that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is an update. :D

The pup has been spending time outdoors and that is where he was when hubby saw him.

We live in Southern California and it has been nice and crispy here lately; upper 90s.

The patches, or variances in Ranger's Fur, are reddish, like small bits of feathering.

As soon as I have a picture, I will post it ASAP.

Thanks for helping me out with this, I was starting to freak a bit!

Thanks again!! ;D

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Some puppies are born with just undercoat and the outer coat comes in later. Some pups are born with outer coat and the undercoat comes in later. Maybe this is what your husband is seeing, the growth of coat which can make it look like the dog/pup has light and dark patches.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picture of Ranger's Fur 4 Weeks

Here's a picture of Ranger. His brother is standing next to him and he is dark all over.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I am concerned that he is mismarked from the colors on the legs, but I will leave that up to the experts. He is still a cutie though.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Awwww he's adorable. :) Does it really matter to you if he's coloring6 stays that way? I mean the only thing that matters is that he's a nice dog. Not which coloring he has, right? :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts