Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do all dogs have to be registered by AKC cause when i got my pup the person didn't have any of those papers. she was my sisters friend that i got the dog from.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
They don't have to be registered. As said above, they can only be registered if they are purebred with a pedigree. It really makes no difference for a pet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trickster said:
They don't have to be registered. As said above, they can only be registered if they are purebred with a pedigree. It really makes no difference for a pet.
ok kinda new to this but when you say they have to be purebred with a pedigree what does that really mean

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Kind of. The breeder of the grandparents and the great grandparents needed to send in a form to the AKC saying "I bred this dogs and they're purebred labs and they produced 4 purbred lab puppies". Then the breeder of Lola's parents needed to send in a form saying "I bred these two dogs and they are purebred dogs and they produced 22 lab puppies." and then YOU needed to send in a form saying I have Lola and she is a purebred lab from Lola's dad and Lola's mom.

Does that make more sense?

check out www.akc.org if you have questions.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i see but if they didn't do that then there really no point in signing up for the akc. for some reason i always thought every purebred dog had so sign up and then i had this thought that lola wasn't purebred cause she has white on her chest and on her tummy. i don't know where i heard that at. but i'm not sure if its true

·
Registered
162 Posts
The white spots do not mean that Lola is not purebred. It could be what is called a mismark. Labby has a collection of photos of mismarks on purbred labs on her Woodhaven website. The original labs, St. John's Dogs, had white on their chest, toes and muzzle. Sounds like Lola is just proud of her heritage and showing it off! ;)

All of my labs have been purebreds and we were given the appropriate paperwork to register with the AKC. We never did bother because they were all family pets and were going to be spayed or neutered.

Whether Lola is purebred or not, she is a real cutie! ;D

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
therapydawg said:
All of my labs have been purebreds and we were given the appropriate paperwork to register with the AKC. We never did bother because they were all family pets and were going to be spayed or neutered.
On the other hand, if you want to do obedience, rally, agility, etc, you need it to be registered.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
I see where you are coming from now.

It's like Trickster said, it doesn't matter one jot if they are a pet.

Jasper had a full pedigree with many field champions in his lineage but the breeder didn't register him with the KC so it doesn't mean diddly squat.

Jasper is one of the loves of my life so neither could I give diddly squat as I don't do any showing.

Perhaps somebody else can tell you the breed standard regarding colour .

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
ok i see what your saying so my dog could be purebred but just the parents or the grandparents havn't done anything special right?
Yes. Most Labs are pet bred which usually means they don't have a pedigree certificate and they aren't registered. To add to that confusion, even unregistered pet bred dogs can have a pedigree but the pedigree is not worth squat unless it is registered. It doesn't mean they are not purebred. Equally, it doesn't mean there isn't the influence of some other breed down the line. But as I say, you can just assume she is a purebred from unregistered parents.

she is purebred but how would you fine out the proven lineage
Proven linage = dog with titled/champion ancestry. So for example, both my boys parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc., are titled in the field. Therefore they come from a "proven" lineage.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks everyone yea lola is just going to a part of the familey and shes going to get spayed. the reason i ask if the white meant they were mixed was cause my sister wants a purebred lab from the same person i got lola from and i just don't want my sister to get jiped. and if lola was mixed it wouldn't have bothered me shes would still be 100% lab

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
It depends how big the white spot is. A small white spot on the chest is permissable in the breed standard. A large white spot may be a mis-mark or it may be a sign that the dog has other breeds in it somewhere down the line.

I think if your sister wants a Lab I would look away from the place you got Lola. They may mean well but breeding purely for pets with no papers/registration/titles/health checks is irresponsible considering how many purebred Labs are PTS unnecessarily in shelters each day simply because homes cannot be found for them. If she wants a Lab, please tell her to look for a proper breeder. People on this forum can point you in the right direction. Alternatively she could try adopting a pup from a shelter.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
she had papers and health checks all her shot gave us the records and all that jazz. but the mark on her chest is small. i like to look at it and tell her your getting old she gives me a funny look. the person i got lola from is not a stranger she a good friend of my sister.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
she had papers and health checks all her shot gave us the records and all that jazz. but the mark on her chest is small. i like to look at it and tell her your getting old she gives me a funny look. the person i got lola from is not a stranger she a good friend of my sister.
If they gave you all that why are you saying they didn't register the parents? They should have explained this to you at the time you picked up the pup.

What do you mean by "she had papers" exactly? WHere the parents hips/elbows/eyes/heart tested and they gave you a copy of those results? did they give you the pedigree (name of the parents, grand parents and so on)?

Also - you do not need to be AKC registered to participate in any activity other than conformation. Any dog, mixes as well, can register for a number (forget the name) to participate in things like agility, rally-o, flyball...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tanya said:
If they gave you all that why are you saying they didn't register the parents? They should have explained this to you at the time you picked up the pup.

What do you mean by "she had papers" exactly? WHere the parents hips/elbows/eyes/heart tested and they gave you a copy of those results? did they give you the pedigree (name of the parents, grand parents and so on)?

Also - you do not need to be AKC registered to participate in any activity other than conformation. Any dog, mixes as well, can register for a number (forget the name) to participate in things like agility, rally-o, flyball...
no i never saw the parents. i never said they did or did not register the parents. i never talked about the parents at all. when i mean papers i meant the heatlh records for my dog.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
There are certain things a good breeder does that your dogs breeder may not have done. Good breeders will certify the hips and elbows and eyes and often the heart of the parents before they breed. You can check OFA and Cerf certificates at www.offa.org with just the names of the parents. If the breeder didn't do any certified clearences then you really should seek another breeder. Also if there are not a few titled dogs(dogs with initials before or after their name) in each side of the puppy's lineage then you should seek another breeder. There are a bunch of good lab breeders so their is no excuse to get a puppy from a bad breeder even if they are a good friend. I know it sounds kinda harsh but I don't want you to make the same mistake I did...

And you can ILP register a dog that you believe to be a lab with the AKC so you can compete in dog sports but not so you can breed or show in confirmation.

Kelly and Amber

1 - 20 of 29 Posts