Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So how many days do you think it would take one person... me, for example... to paint all the melamine cabinets in a small kitchen (I think there are about 15 cabinets and 9 drawers, including a small island)??

The reason I ask is that I cannot motivate my husband to do too much home improvement projects in any given time frame, and we are in the middle of the slowest step-by-step bathroom update ever. And he claims that when its finished he is done with projects for a while... But I desperately want to update our yucky beige with oak trim 80's cabinets by painting them white and adding some hardware and perhaps a tile back-splash.

So DH is going away with his students in a couple of weeks, leaving Monday morning and won't be back until Wednesday afternoon. I can send Ben to the sitters during the day. Think its possible for me to prep, paint and reinstall by myself in those 3 days? Do you think it would be wrong of me to do this without telling DH?? I'd have to be sure I did it RIGHT!

ETA: To give my hubby credit - he does do a lot around the house and is a great father and a great teacher, so its not like he has infinite time and energy for these projects... but right now I do!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I think the painting and new hardware could definitely be done in that timeframe. I feel tired just thinking about it, though, lol.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I just finished my whole up stairs, not to include our main bathroom or kitchen as the kitchen has new wood cabinets and the bathroom was already done. I could finish a room in a few days- 1 coat of primer, to be followed by a coat of paint, the primer drys quick so this could be done in a day if you chose- but I usually did a coat a day- to much to cover in one. We had dark walnut cabinets and it took 4 coats to get a really good cover- but it looks wonderful and was worth every min. of hard work! Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
So how many days do you think it would take one person... me, for example... to paint all the melamine cabinets in a small kitchen (I think there are about 15 cabinets and 9 drawers, including a small island)??
If the cabinets are melamine, won't they need to be sanded first so the paint will stick? Isn't melamine a type of hard plastic? That might be a bigger job that just painting. Sanding alone could take a week. I would take one of the doors to Home Depot or Lowe's and ask them how best to refinish them.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These aren't my cabinets, but they are pretty much the exact same...

Jackie, from what I've read you just need to scuff them up a bit and then use a primer made for this type of material??

Cam, I just may do that - lol!

T - you can come see for yourself if I actually am brave enough to do it!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I did mine in 4 days. That was with one coat of primer and 5, yes 5 coats of high gloss acrylic enamal. I have 11 cabinets on top and 7 on the bottom with 8 drawers. Mine were really dark brown, it took that many coats to make them look nice, but it was well worth it. Really made a big difference in the kitchen. I'd go for it if I were you!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did mine in 4 days. That was with one coat of primer and 5, yes 5 coats of high gloss acrylic enamal. I have 11 cabinets on top and 7 on the bottom with 8 drawers. Mine were really dark brown, it took that many coats to make them look nice, but it was well worth it. Really made a big difference in the kitchen. I'd go for it if I were you!
Good to know! I'll be painting white, over beige cabinets, so I'm guessing I could go with 3 thin coats to get good coverage...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts