Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Horse Dixie started belly breathing this morning. Drat. I really think her heaves has something to do with the dew on the grass. Seems when the ground/grass is dewy is when she gets bad. Unfortunately that is for most of the summer... until next fall. Anyway, I started her on Dex this morning.

Good news... my blacksmith was out today, and I showed him the English saddle I got for he. He kinda made a funny face and said, "Linda, I really think for the first couple rides you need to ride her western."
He was rather adamant. I'm not sure what he thinks she is going to do with me. But, I'll heed his advice because I sure don't want to fall if I can avoid it. So, I threw on my Western saddle, and you know what... it actually looks and fits her better than the English one anyway. Didn't ride her, just wanted to see her reaction to being saddled, etc. She was fine. I walked her around with it on and untacked her. I don't think she's going to do much when I get on her. We've developed a good rapport. I don't know why she was so bug-eyed and touchy at Pete's. (Well, I do.. he's VERY demanding of a horse and doesn't mess around... I work slower with them and give them more chances to just relax).

Anyway, I'm going to get a pad and smaller girth and find some kind of bridle for her and try her... hopefully soon :)

Rode Gandy this AM and she was wonderful. She's my trusty old gal.. and I love her :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Laura, Dixie needs a cob size. Thanks anyway :) I have to find a cob. And actually I'm looking for a headstall to fit my bosal. I think I'm going to ride her in the bosal. She's really responsive to Whoa! (stops on a dime, slides if the footing is okay... which it isn't at my place).

I hope Dixie gets better real soon.
Unfortunately Dixie won't get better. This is a chronic condition. I'm just hoping that we can keep her better controlled this summer so I can ride her a little bit. If not, that's okay.. just want her to be able to breathe without so much stress. Heaves are horrible.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Hope you can keep her well controlled with the Dex Linda :)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
That is too bad :( It's probably a fungal/mold allergy if it peaks when it is humid. Have you tried keeping her out of a stall 24/7? The MSU study stated this is what helped 100% of the horses in the study (no matter what caused the condition). They said that straw was the absolute worst for heaves and the best was Woody pet in a stall. And I know you water down the hay, which is really helpful. I have followed a horse that I boarded and dropped off to the heaves study. This horse was perfect on our pasture board, even during a humid summer. However, maybe you don't have shelter in the pasture and it's impossible to do 100% pasture time. That I certainly understand.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Laura, Dixie needs a cob size. Thanks anyway :) I have to find a cob. And actually I'm looking for a headstall to fit my bosal.
SHOOT! I keep meaning to check my stuff for you and keep forgetting! Do you want leather or nylon? Most of my nylon stuff is blue.... and I have to make sure the leather is still good, Geym's been gone almost ten years now... *sniff*

Lucy

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucy, if you have any cob size I'd love it. Just let me know.

Concerning leaving her out 24/7... we have to do the exact opposite when she's really bad.. leave her in. It's not DUST or HAY that bothers her, it's something pasture related... I do believe its a mold in our ground. A LOT of horses in this area get these summer heaves. I hate to stall her, but it honestly does help her breath. She's not bad now... just a wee bit of belly push, no coughing. If I could keep her like this all summer I'd be thrilled. For about four week last summer the poor thing was really fighting for air. That's when my vet told me to leave her in the stall for a couple days. Bingo. That helped her so much and we got her back under a bit more control, then I could give her a few hours access to pasture during the day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.