Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pond next to our house has 21 "pet" mallards including the two albinos. They are fully flight capable but just too lazy to leave here and try to make a living elsewhere. The various diving species of ducks are rare.

We have a pair of Honkers that visit every day but rarely stay overnight after they had their nest raided by yotes or coons two years ago. In addition, we get "wild" mallards, Woodies and an occasional Gadwall stop in for a day or two and then they depart.

This morning we had these 14 guys and gals drop by for a visit ...

By the way ... Cappy sends his thanks for all of the kind words of support and encouragement. He wore the little Ninja Doodle plum out this morning! They are both being very good with and for each other.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

:wink:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
All Ringnecks? Glad Cappy seems to be feeling good

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Great pics. Awww what a sweet sweet pic of Cappy and Rusty. What a good boy he is. Isn't it weird, Jim if we had surgeries like them, we wouldn't act as good, would we? Good healing thoughts for him.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
What beautiful pictures! Look how blue the water is. Hugs to poor Cappy. I hope his incision doesn't bother him too much.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Awwww such a sweet pic of Cappy and the Rust monster. I think Rusty has been very good for Cappy and for you and Carol. BTW, very nice pics of the visitors. Your place is like a little (?) slice of heaven on earth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great pictures! we get tons of divers where i hunt and they are beautiful birds and tricky shots too! hope your dog gets healed up well

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
WOW! Karen! Yes, and I am IMPRESSED!!!

:hail:
Hehehehehe 28 years in the waterfowl business (now retired), but probably only had a few dozen ringnecks in hand for banding over the years. When it came to divers, I mostly banded Cans, Scaup and Redheads, with a smattering of Goldens, Buffs and of course Ringnecks. Hoodies were my favorites though. I hand reared nearly a hundred over the years and had them successfully released and rearing youndg in the wild. For the most part I delt with Canadas, Mallards, Black Ducks, Woodies and in recent years Trumpeter Swan restoration in the Great Lakes.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hehehehehe 28 years in the waterfowl business (now retired), but probably only had a few dozen ringnecks in hand for banding over the years. When it came to divers, I mostly banded Cans, Scaup and Redheads, with a smattering of Goldens, Buffs and of course Ringnecks. Hoodies were my favorites though. I hand reared nearly a hundred over the years and had them successfully released and rearing youndg in the wild. For the most part I delt with Canadas, Mallards, Black Ducks, Woodies and in recent years Trumpeter Swan restoration in the Great Lakes.
Karen I am in awe! I've been involved with Ducks unlimited for over 40 years, was a member of NV's Wildlife Board, Operation Game Thief and over the years have been an ardent waterfowl hunter and habitat supporter. 3 of the 5 wetlands that we created here in N TX are entirely for the benefit of waterfowl and are not hunted. But I've never met anyone, especially a gal, with the background that you just described.

If my Carol would approve of it, would you consider polygamy? We have a separate guest quarters here that's not in use. ;)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Karen I am in awe! I've been involved with Ducks unlimited for over 40 years, was a member of NV's Wildlife Board, Operation Game Thief and over the years have been an ardent waterfowl hunter and habitat supporter. 3 of the 5 wetlands that we created here in N TX are entirely for the benefit of waterfowl and are not hunted. But I've never met anyone, especially a gal, with the background that you just described.

If my Carol would approve of it, would you consider polygamy? We have a separate guest quarters here that's not in use. ;)
Hehe, I come with a house full of dogs! (8 right now, 3 of my own and the rest boarding or in for gun dog training).:laugh:

It was a fun 28 years up until I got a supervisor that I despised (mutual dislike, 'cause I was not afraid to tell her (an entomologist...put in charge of a bird sanctuary...politics) what worked best and what probably would not....and that did not sit well with her.

Anyway, banding Canadas (about 1,000 a year) and keeping a data base of female survival based on banding and retraps (adding one more piece of understanding seperate from hunter returns) was one of the more significant projects I did. The facility I worked at has been banding waterfowl since the 1930's. We also kept pheasants (worldwide species) and raptors. The last 15 years or so were involved in restoring the Trumpeter swan to Michigan. From an extirpated species in the mid 1980's to over 2000 in 2005 (next survey is this year), it is indeed a conservation success story.

Having been in the biz (working 7 days a week for 28 years) I know how much work it takes to create the paradise that you have on your property. Your dogs certainly have a slice of heaven that most never get to experience! Kudos to you and what you have created.:rockon:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Karen ... I'll see if I can locate images of some of the more unusual gamebirds and waterfowl that Carol and I have harvested in N American and Hawaii. An image that was handy is shown below and includes a pair of Black Francolins and an Erkle shot on the slopes of Mauna Kea on the Big Island of Hawaii. Did you know that there is a sizable number of Northen Pintails that actually make a migration flight to Hawaii each winter? And they're not even Jewish? ;)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Beautiful pictures, I sure wish I got to see that everyday. We do have some geese (3) that are kind of "ours" and once and a while a large flock stops by.
Youch, Cap, that looks like it must hurt a tad, but what a good boy you are, leaving it alone and still tending to Rusty!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Cool mounts Jim. Are those double spurs on the Erkle's left leg? I have never been even close to Hawaii but would love to go some day. Do you do your own taxidermy?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts