Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with kids/teens? Was there some sort of rule change that I'm not aware of? I run across so many disrespectful, bratty kids, and I can't figure out why they feel entitled to behave that way.

Example: Over the weekend we were at a hockey tournament with my 12 year old son (they won :first:). During the semi-final game on Sunday morning one of the kids on my son's team was hit from behind and hurt his back (had to be taken off on a stretcher in an ambulance, he is fine now). A girl (14 or so) with the other team was mocking him when he was down on the ice; calling him a wimp, telling him to get up, etc. About 1/2 way through the 2nd period she and about 5 adults came down to our end of the ice and as they walked past we scored a goal (we were losing 4-0 at that point). We cheered, and she looked up into the stands and said, "Congratulations you finally scored a goal. Sit down, it's not like you can win." She kept it up the whole game, and none of the adults said anything to her. We won, and at the end of the game she was yelling, "Is this your first win? OMG! Act like you have won a game before, you are embarrassing yourselves."

It was all I could do to not beat the crap out of her, but instead I went up to her and said, "Since no one else is going to tell you, your lack of sportsmanship and respect for adults is appalling. Behaving this way is an embarrassment to your team and yourself." She just stood there shocked and staring, and then muttered something like, "Whatever . . . " I just don't get it, what is wrong with people?

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Good for you! And for her "whatever" I would have continued on and said whatever is right, you brat!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I run across so many disrespectful, bratty kids, and I can't figure out why they feel entitled to behave that way.
Watch it! I got **** on when I called a kid a brat..... :boink:

Meanwhile, you said it - none of the adults or parents stopped the behavior. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Parents today are so lacking in discipline, I think, and reach more for being their childs BFF.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Lucky I wasn't there. She'd be extracting a hockey puck from her...... mouth.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Debi, I am involved in my Catholic church's CYO sports program. The things I have heard come of out some kids & parents mouths is absolutely appalling. I can only echo what others have said, that being "the apple does not fall far from the tree".

With the cheerleaders I coach, I will tell you, that sort of behavior is not tolerated. I expect them to be respectful & behave accordingly. I will correct them when I see them acting up. I have seen my girls leaving a game or practice & throw their pom poms at their mother or father to carry. If I am there, I will stop the young lady & ask them to either say "Please" or remind them, they are the cheerleader the pom poms are their responsibility.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I work at a local school supervising lunch and recess. Lunch is fine- it's 4yr olds. Recess, however, is a whole other world. The grade 7 and 8's can be down right pissy. It amazes me the way they talk.

When my sister in law was in a hockey tournament about 10 years ago, she was taken down and broke her elbow. She was screaming on the ice. IT was the adults from the opposing team who were the ones mocking her. Telling her to get up. I was shaking. I turned and screamed at them, as my FIL, husband and BIL were on the ice with my SIL. I was livid at these adults mocking a child. I'm guessing in most cases, the apples do not fall far from the tree. I have no problem giving it right back like you did. If my children ever thought to speak like that to anyone- they'd be walking funny for week or so.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen my girls leaving a game or practice & throw their pom poms at their mother or father to carry. If I am there, I will stop the young lady & ask them to either say "Please" or remind them, they are the cheerleader the pom poms are their responsibility.
Ever since they were big enough to carry their equipment without falling over, I have made them carry their own stuff (except their sticks because I didn't want them knocking anyone's teeth out carrying a hockey stick through a crowded lobby). If they are going to play, they are going to take care of their own equipment. I still see kids, even at 12 that walk out of the locker room and drop their bag at their parent's feet. I would walk away, but most of them just pick it up. My oldest son slammed his stick against the goal once after he missed a shot, and from the stands I yelled to him, "It's not the stick's fault." He was mortified, but he never did it again. My youngest was sitting next to me, and said, "You're right, it wasn't the stick's fault."

Lucky I wasn't there. She'd be extracting a hockey puck from her...... mouth.
I thought about it, but then there would probably be a lawsuit . . .

I have no problem giving it right back like you did. If my children ever thought to speak like that to anyone- they'd be walking funny for week or so.
Mine too! My kids were taught from a very young age that everyone deserves to be treated with respect. I would beat them senseless if they ever thought about behaving that way.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Don't get me started. I'm allergic to kids. I don't know who pi$$es me off more - the kids or their parents for dragging them up to be the disrespectful rotten scumbags that they are. :crazy:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Parents and kids can be really rude at sporting events, it seems. I remember when my brother would play ball and how horrible some of the parents were...and this started as early as t-ball, when it really should have just been about having fun (well, it ALL should be about having fun, but I can understand it getting more serious as the kids get older). Some people are just hyper-competitive and have no idea about respect and sportsmanship. That girl was probably just parrotting her parents.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Don't get me started. I'm allergic to kids. I don't know who pi$$es me off more - the kids or their parents for dragging them up to be the disrespectful rotten scumbags that they are.
I agree. That's why I have dogs and they have been raised to be perfect gentlemen in public. Unfortunately for some reason they frequently forget those manners at home.:biggrin1:

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I agree. That's why I have dogs and they have been raised to be perfect gentlemen in public. Unfortunately for some reason they frequently forget those manners at home.:biggrin1:
You sound like you're talking about my 2. :pound:

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Reason #651 I am glad I don't have kids - I don't have to deal with parents and their bratty children on a regular basis.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
It was all I could do to not beat the crap out of her, but instead I went up to her and said, "Since no one else is going to tell you, your lack of sportsmanship and respect for adults is appalling. Behaving this way is an embarrassment to your team and yourself." She just stood there shocked and staring, and then muttered something like, "Whatever . . . " I just don't get it, what is wrong with people?
This is so awesome that you did this. :clap2:

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Parents and kids can be really rude at sporting events, it seems. I remember when my brother would play ball and how horrible some of the parents were...and this started as early as t-ball, when it really should have just been about having fun (well, it ALL should be about having fun, but I can understand it getting more serious as the kids get older). Some people are just hyper-competitive and have no idea about respect and sportsmanship. That girl was probably just parrotting her parents.
Its not just in sporting events- I see the dis-respect everyday at work, in public etc. The funny thing is I don't really blame the kids- somehow they missed having a parent teach them respect for others, there is a time and place to voice your opinion and not everyone wants to hear yours! That being said, I am not above correcting them, especially when they are being disruptive or obnoxious in the ER.

·
Registered
903 Posts
This is so awesome that you did this. :clap2:
I agree. Even though her response left much to be desired, your response will sit in her brain for her to think about. Kudos for not screaming it for her to tune it out. I wonder if this was the first time someone has checked her behavior.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
For every child you see being a brat, I can show you an equal (if not greater number) of adults and seniors who display equal (or greater) levels of rude/inconsiderate/anti-social behavior. These kids learn their behavior from somewhere, so be sure to place the blame where that blame is due. It's always so easy to blame the child rather than place the blame on people you'd think would know better.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
adults and seniors who display equal (or greater) levels of rude/inconsiderate/anti-social behavior.
O&E anyone? LOL

1 - 20 of 44 Posts