Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy is crate-trained, but I thought it would be a good idea to run home at lunch for a while to let him out to potty. So, that's what I did today. He was deliriously happy to see me, thrilled to go out and pee, and came back in the house willingly.

Then he wanted to play and I could not get him to go back in the crate, even after putting a frozen Kong in there. :( He was leaping around like a gazelle, *almost* doing a butt-tuck through the house. He ran to the kitchen door and stood up, looking out the window, as if pleading for someone to save him from the mean old lady who wanted to stuff him back into a crate. :-[

I felt terrible, because he's spent so much of his life in crates and kennels and I know he just wants some freedom.

My question is this - should I not go home at lunch, and then just let him out to stay when I get home after work? Or should I keep going home for another week or so, for a measly 10 minutes to let him pee, and then make him go back in the crate? I want him to feel secure and happy about his new home, and not think he's been relegated to just another crate for most of the time.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I would try to keep going home at lunch time and just be persistant that after pee time he has to go back in the crate. Hopefully he will get used to it and know that it's time to go back in.

F

·
0 Posts
I should say, give it a shot! ;D

If you never shoot, you never hit some thing ;)

So, let's try if he's a brave dog out side of his crate! 8)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I agree, go home, let him out, and then crate him up. He'll learn that it's the schedule he's on. Dogs are adaptable. No harm in him trying to get you to play, but you set the rules, and need to be consistent and put him back in.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
keep going home for lunch. He'll get used to it. :)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
CYNLABS said:
I agree, go home, let him out, and then crate him up. He'll learn that it's the schedule he's on. Dogs are adaptable. No harm in him trying to get you to play, but you set the rules, and need to be consistent and put him back in.
I tend to agree. Soon, he'll know it's his schedule and that you will come home after work.

good luck.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I agree that he needs to learn your schedule and get used to the crate.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'd keep going home. He'll get used to crating up. Could you gate off the kitchen instead of crating, maybe do morning in the crate and then afternoon gated in the kitchen. He'' do fine.. it's hard not to feel a bit of guilt because you know he spent some of his life in pens and crates.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I will keep going home at lunch for another week or so, to let him out to potty then crate him back up again. Hopefully, one day he will be trustworthy out of the crate. :angel: We might try a short time out this weekend to see how he does, but I know I am going to have to clear off all my counters and tables! Buddy is good when I am home but he is still very inquisitive and has not learned all the boundaries yet.

I have to keep reminding myself that he is not Shadow, who could be trusted completely, but needs to be taught what is and is not allowed.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'm glad you're going to stick with it. :) Once he's locked in there again, give him "cookie bye-bye" by tossing a few pieces of his kibble in with him. That way, he'll associated you leaving him in there with something good. :)

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Brigetta used to do the same thing. I would go home at lunch, she would go crazy, butt tucking in and out of every room, then refuse to go in her crate. I kept going home at lunch and would train her to go in it at random times when I was home. Now when I run home at lunch, I let her out to the bathroom (sometimes I do play a little soccer with her, depending on how much time I have), but as soon as we come in she goes into her crate to wait for a treat. Buddy will get used to your schedule.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I'd keep going home and letting him out. Also, can you play ball with him while you are there. I'm sure just a few minutes will burn off a little excess energy and make him more willing to go back in the crate.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem is, he doesn't play ball. :-\ Buddy will run after a tossed toy, but loses interest quickly. He has no clue about retrieving or fetching, and we can't play outside because he has to be on a tie-out or leash. I got him to butt-tuck just now, very briefly, but he acted like he was afraid he'd get punished for running in the house.

We also don't want him to get used to me coming home every day at lunch, because I can't continue with that. The foster had already been crating him eight hours a day, so he is used to that schedule.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
If you don't plan on continuing to come home for lunch, I would not go home now. Since the foster crated him for 8 hours, he will not think anything of you doing it. Maybe you will eventually be able to leave him out of the crate. He is still young. He'll adapt.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Aw, Jackie. So much transition for both of you. Those "measley 10 minutes" are not so measley to Buddy... they will, day by day, be incredibly reassuring to him.

I like Marylin's "bye-bye-cookie" suggestion. It's just a nice little phrase. :)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree with rottnlab's suggestion to do a little play retrieving with him along with the letting him out to pee.

So he doesn't know how to?

Teach him. Only a few trials a day.

Get a Training Dummy [I like the 2" x 12" Lucky Dog (brand) vinyl TDs -- see http://www.gundogsupply.com or similar outlets]. (Never make it available as a chew toy -- reserve it just for playing fetch.)

Tie a 30-35 ft 1/4" (6 mm) dia. nylon rope to the TD.

Tease him with it then throw it 25 ft away while you hold on to the "bitter" (non-TD) end.

When he runs after it and grabs it, call him and reel back the TD with Buddy attached. Exchange a favored treat for the TD and give him praise.

Always keep it fun. Quit before it becomes work to Buddy and he loses interest. Just once, or a couple or three times a day is enough in the beginning.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am fortunate because Axl has free run of the house all day and honestly never gets into trouble. As long as I put my shoes away all is good in our world.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
If you can't keep going home for lunch I'm not sure I would do it now. It sounds like he goes in willingly before you leave. I think I would just go home at the end of the day and let him out to stay until the next morning. He probably thinks if he goes back into the crate he wont get out.

Still it's a tough call. But I think that's what I would do.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I know he will get used to your schedule. He was already staying in the crate at the foster's home for 8 hours. I started saying "I'm going to work" & after the last potty break in the morning, Abby runs to her crate (I am a little nervous for both to be out for 8 hours). She gets a few cheerios & then Molly runs upstairs where she has free run of the house.
We have not had any problems with the arrangement. I only leave them both out if we will be back in 4 hours. Not sure why I set that time limit. ::)

Soon he will know when you get home, he will be out of the crate with you. :)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Jackie when you come home don't make a big deal out of your being home. Part of the problem is he is getting reved up. When he is acting like this he shouldn't get any recognition, he gets recognition when he is well behaved. Don't make a big deal out of leaving because you could cause him to have seperation anxiety.
I think its too soon to leave him out of the crate alone. I would do it in stages. Maybe this weekend he gets full run of the place for 5 minutes. Then in a couple of days 10 minutes.
Olie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts