Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a soon to be 11 year old Black Lab. She is a GREAT dog, but has one irritating habit. She digs in the carpet. Not in one particular place but all over the house. There is no normal lead up to it. She will do it after you play with her, walk her, or she could be just laying around sleeping. She just starts digging and when you tell her to stop she looks at you like you are crazy and doesn't understand why you want her to stop. When she is outside, sometimes she will dig in the flower beds.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Sally has four places in the house where she digs in the carpet:

1. back in my equipment storage room, right in front of the closet
2. in our bedroom, right at the door if it's closed
3. in our bedroom closet
4. up under one of my computer desks

But only these things trigger her digging:

1. (equipment storage room) When I run her off my spot on the couch or if Spud or Hoppy disturbs her chewing on a nylabone. She will get up and go back to that room and start digging in the same spot.

2. and 3. (at bedroom door if closed and in closet) If one of us moves her over during the night (she sleeps with us) and disturbs her sleep. She'll get up and go dig at the door first. Then when we say, "Sally, stop that." She'll go into the closet and start digging. We'll say, "Sally, stop that." Then she will either go into her crate to sleep for a while, or she'll jump back up in bed with us.

4. (under computer desk) I haven't noticed anything that triggers that particular digging. Maybe I should start paying better attention.

But it definitely seems to be a frustration release for Sally. But I agree, if you dog's done this for all these years, I don't think there's any figuring it out now.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
A few of mine dig at the carpet before they lie down. I just usually yell "knock if off" and they quit. Don't you know they have to remove all those sticks and stones before settling in. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yeah...I just redirect the behaviour or tell her to stop...Phoebers doesn't dig in the carpet but she'll do it on the couch or bed if she's going to lay down. I just tell her "no digging" or "stop digging" and she gets the message. But, she still always tries to do it! :crazy:

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Abbey does it from time to time.. normally if I'm laying on the couch and she wants to lay by my legs and I have a blanket on. It's like she wants it out of there so she can see what's under the blanket.. :laugh: I just tell her to stop and lay down and she generally obliges. :happy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts