Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I'm logging in what I eat into this application on my iphone and one the things it does is a nutritional breakdown between fat, carbs and protein. I'm not doing any of those eliminations diets - I'm just trying to burn more calories than I consume. I was wondering what is a good ratio for protein to fat to carbs?

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I use fitday.com to do the same thing and try to stick with 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein.

I got the numbers from a nutritionist I saw when I was losing weight and it's worked for me. One of the big mistakes people make is to cut down too far on fats. Especially in the winter, too little of the correct fats will make you dry, itchy, and your hair will look like crap.

Of course the key is the right kind of carbs, fat and protein. Unfortuntately not everything is created equal.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
One of the big mistakes people make is to cut down too far on fats. Especially in the winter, too little of the correct fats will make you dry, itchy, and your hair will look like crap..
YAY!

Of course the key is the right kind of carbs, fat and protein. Unfortuntately not everything is created equal.
Crap! <<drops chunk of divinity fudge>>

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
So...I'm logging in what I eat into this application on my iphone and one the things it does is a nutritional breakdown between fat, carbs and protein. I'm not doing any of those eliminations diets - I'm just trying to burn more calories than I consume. I was wondering what is a good ratio for protein to fat to carbs?
Could you tell me what the app is? I'd like to check that out! :)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Maybe that's why I can't lose any...that takes too much thinking :D
That's pretty much why I have three or four basic breakfasts, lunches and dinners and just rotate them. I can stick in any combination of them each day and come out just about the same calorie and nutrient-wise.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
That's pretty much why I have three or four basic breakfasts, lunches and dinners and just rotate them. I can stick in any combination of them each day and come out just about the same calorie and nutrient-wise.
That is what I need to do. Sit down and figure out what I need to eat and what I don't. Oh and how much.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
There is no single answer, unfortunately. Some people feel best with lower fat, some people do better with more. For example, I would like to eat 30% fat, because I think that's good for muscle sparing and satiety, but I have irritable bowel, and let's just say my body won't cooperate with that scheme.

If you are doing significant exercise, whether weight training or cardio, adequate protein intake is probably the most important thing. Then you can tweak the carb/fat ratios to see what works best for you. Here's a beginning rule of thumb:

1. Determine you maintenance calorie level (mine is 14-15 cal./lb. bodyweight)
2. Reduce by 2-3 cals./lb. bodyweight. A good place to start for dieting is about 11-12 cals./lb. bodyweight. Women sometimes need less, but best to start moderately and then get more severe if you don't see progress. If you start off too severe, you will get too hungry and fail.
3. Set protein grams at .8 cals./lb. bodyweight. Multiply by 4 to get the calories.
4. Set fat at 30% of total intake.
5. Fill in the rest with carbs. Prefer starchy whole grains and fibrous fruits and vegetables, but don't forget the psychological value of the occasional glass of wine or dish of ice cream.

Does that help?

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no single answer, unfortunately. Some people feel best with lower fat, some people do better with more. For example, I would like to eat 30% fat, because I think that's good for muscle sparing and satiety, but I have irritable bowel, and let's just say my body won't cooperate with that scheme.

If you are doing significant exercise, whether weight training or cardio, adequate protein intake is probably the most important thing. Then you can tweak the carb/fat ratios to see what works best for you. Here's a beginning rule of thumb:

1. Determine you maintenance calorie level (mine is 14-15 cal./lb. bodyweight)
2. Reduce by 2-3 cals./lb. bodyweight. A good place to start for dieting is about 11-12 cals./lb. bodyweight. Women sometimes need less, but best to start moderately and then get more severe if you don't see progress. If you start off too severe, you will get too hungry and fail.
3. Set protein grams at .8 cals./lb. bodyweight. Multiply by 4 to get the calories.
4. Set fat at 30% of total intake.
5. Fill in the rest with carbs. Prefer starchy whole grains and fibrous fruits and vegetables, but don't forget the psychological value of the occasional glass of wine or dish of ice cream.

Does that help?
Holy crap! That's a lotta math! What time does the train get to the station?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Holy crap! That's a lotta math! What time does the train get to the station?
More important (as they would say on Car Talk): What color is the train?

Not really hard at all. Let's say you weight 150.

Calories for weight loss: 150*11=1650. If you do lots of exercise use 150*12=1800
Protein: .8g*150=120*4=480Kc. That's 30% of 1650.
Fat: 30% of 1650 = 480 Cals.
The rest comes from carbs = 40% = 660.

In this case, it works out to the Zone--40/30/30. But other people end up with different values, depending on how severely you have to cut calories to lose weight, how much exercise you do, and what your body will tolerate.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
How many cals are burnt just figuring all that figuring??

Much simpler is the Dweck method: A swatch of duct tape covering your pie hole.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can someone explain to me why bulima is wrong? C'mon...just every now and then? So I can have that half a chocolate cake?

J/k.

Mostly.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
How many cals are burnt just figuring all that figuring??

Much simpler is the Dweck method: A swatch of duct tape covering your pie hole.
Believe me, I have tried it. Three hours later I ripped off the duct tape, as well as several layers of skin, and then jammed the whole pie and a pint of ice cream down said hole. The math is easier.

For me the trick is cutting the calories to the point where I lose weight, but not so low that I go insane. I've found that for me it's a pretty fine line, especially as I get leaner. And I also don't want to compromise what little muscle I have to lose a little fat. I'm about 5-10 lbs. away from looking good. Right now I look like someone who looks good wearing an inflatable swim tube. But not a horsey.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Erma Bombeck tells a great story of being w/her husband shopping and coming across a Mr Universe at a Mall appearance.

While she ogles, he gets miffed.

"You're really sensitive about this, aren't you?" she asks, finally recognizing his mood.
"I am not. It's just that I'm not a beach boy."
"I'll say you're not," she snarks. "Remember at the pool last summer? Some kid asked to borrow your inner tube --- and you weren't wearing one!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts