Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of them any good?

Kira becomes a 10x ***** when she is hungry but I've noticed she's been having a lot of trouble with her back end. I know losing weight would help but it's hard because whenever she goes on a 'diet' she starts stealing food and just becomes a royal PITA.

Veggie additives don't help because too much gives her bladder problems (no scientific connection but every time I start using filler she has her incontinence/bladder problems return). She's been to numerous vets about her hips because the all say her hips are fine which any one in their right mind could see she has a hard time getting up.

I feel so bad for letting her get heavy but she is seriously Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde when she is hungry/full. Before we had a little kid around daily and well.. I can't make excuses.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Most diet foods ruin the coat. You can try one since you can't do like green beans but be prepared.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I think they are crap! I looked up the ingredients of one for another post recently, and all there was in the first 10 ingredients were grain by products, peanut shell hulls and chicken by product meal. It literally sounded like the ingredient list from my old cat's natural cat litter I used to buy.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
How much weight does Kira have to lose? how much are you feeding? what are you feeding? how much exercise is she getting?

I think diet foods are a big con. Avoid them.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Lilo has been on one for almost a year now and her coat is ok.
It could probably be better but it doesn't look horrible.
She has to be on it because she has a eye
disease that the fat in regular foods make it progress.
I hate having her on it but its either that or watch her
go blind. If we can keep her from going blind a few more
years I'll do anything. She's under vet's care though, gets
her weight checked every 3 months and her vision
checked about every 6.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a recent pic of her in my signature. She I am guessing is about 105 lbs. Her weight before winter was 98ish. She is a big girl and comes from a big family. She eats 3 cups of Kirkland C&R / day and 1/2 a large dog biscuit at night. as for exercise, she gets whatever she gets when she plays with Jake and an off-leash run daily. Swims on the weekend if it's not raining and/or cold.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I would try cutting back on the amount of food first. I'd cut her back to maybe 2 cups of food a day and a SMALL biscuit. 3 cups is a lot for most females. Most of my females get 2 cups of food a day.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
LOL Mine love to eat too!!! ;D We have to really watch Bella because
she packs on the pounds. If we give her 2 cups a day she gets too fat.
She gets just under 2 cups a day. Well when I feed her anyway. Bob is
a different story. ::) We also cut out all biscuts. We took a small container
and fill it with their kibble. When they come in they each get a few small
pieces of kibble. Like our vet said, they don't know the difference, they
just want something to eat. One small biscut to them is like us eating a
snickers bars. Biscuts are VERY fattening! When Bob buys their dog food
he will pick up a small goodie of some sort for them but they get that
like once a month or whenever we run out of food.
So I bet if you cut things out you'll see a big difference.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Veggie additives don't help because too much gives her bladder problems (no scientific connection but every time I start using filler she has her incontinence/bladder problems return).
What veggies have you used? I can't see how something bland like green beans could cause bladder problems.

I would cut back to at least 2 1/2 cups per day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just so funny because Jake doesn't care about food. He wants lovin and that's it.

I never said it was fact.. but whenever she gets additives in a couple of weeks she needs her incontinance pills. We fed her green beans, carrots, peas... all with the same result.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't have lots of experience with this since my pup is a beanpole who couldn't care much less about food. I have heard some people have success with exercise or training to kind of keep her mind off of food. Is there any way you could get an extra exercise session in with her when she starts to get cranky? I know mine LIVES for his exercise time, especially if it's swimming or retrieving (naturally). ;) Although I don't have your particular problem, I have had some experience with overweight dogs. My parents lost their 9 year old lab mix last year and it was mainly due to excessive obesity that ended up compromising her heart. It is heartbreaking, but coming from someone who has lost a childhood friend due to weight problems, do WHATEVER you can do to get the weight off. I really empathize with you because they are so sweet when they are getting what they want, and they can be very good at getting you to give in. I wish you good luck with this...I think it's one of the hardest things to try to do. Many people say, "Oh, just cut back the food" or "Give less treats," but they usually aren't the ones who have to live with the dog either. I am so glad we do not have this problem and I am doing all I can to prevent it. I really really really hope you can find a way to help her while keeping your sanity. Good luck!

Edited to add: If this is a really big concern to you, I would talk to your vet. I know my parents had their dog on a prescription diet (which I'm sure aren't the best quality) and it really took the weight off. He recommended the food and the amount to feed. He also recommended to feed her 3 times a day because she would feel like she was getting more food. I think their dog lost almost 20 pounds in around 10 months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts